• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Book Cleaning & Pressing doing onsite Pressing at cons?
5 5

95 posts in this topic

On 5/13/2022 at 8:58 PM, The Meta said:

Youre the one missing the point

The only flaws you are going to press at a show are superficial ones

They aren't teaching anything other than most likely, how to damage books

Its a scam, and like other scams, people want to believe in it and are stupid to do so

One doesn't need to be at a show to provide a quality video of the work done on their book. If they are showing that they damage books, then you won't use their service, right? That's the beauty. Wouldn't you like to have that ability for all the pressers you pay for? Me personally, I'd like to know that 99% of pressings done mysteriously, behind closed doors are far better than these guys. But that's just me.

Whether or not pressing is a scam, that's your opinion. I don't necessarily disagree. But that's a different discussion. 

Short aside. Years ago I brought my Mercedes in for a smog check. I sat there watching the guy do his work and noticed he was looking all over for where things were and not putting them back properly. He was all upset that I was watching him and told me you have to go wait in the other room or stand back on the other side of the building. Well, a day or two later, my engine would mysteriously die at stop lights. I recalled that he didn't put on the air filter securely and I popped the hood to correct it. No problem after that, but I bet the dealer would charge an arm and a leg for solving that, and I'd be hosed for a service I paid for. I feel the same way about work done on anything I leave with others. Just a personal quirk. I'm not really defending these pressers for good work, I'm merely saying they are among the very few who allow you to see what they do (poorly as it might be). I doubt anyone would even know how poorly they cracked the book out without seeing it captured in person or through video.

Edited by bronze_rules

On 5/13/2022 at 10:02 PM, bronze_rules said:

One doesn't need to be at a show to provide a quality video of the work done on their book. If they are showing that they damage books, then you won't use their service, right? That's the beauty. Wouldn't you like to have that ability for all the pressers you pay for?

Whether or not pressing is a scam, that's your opinion. I don't necessarily disagree. But that's a different discussion.

Not saying pressing is a scam

Saying these guys doing what they're doing is a scam

"All the pressers I pay for"?

If I give my books to someone to be pressed, I've SEEN the results of their work, from other people, online photos, before and after. 

How people press and whether they choose to show it is their prerogative. 

If you are cracking slabs like that, and have a pressing turn around of  a maximum of 4 days, you aren't pressing. 

Not sure what you call it, but that isn't how pressing works

On 5/14/2022 at 8:43 AM, joeypost said:

Based on this video, I can guarantee most pressing services done mysteriously behind doors are better than these guys. If they handle books this harshly WHILE BEING VIDEO TAPED, imagine what they do in private. Cracking out a book is an art in itself. In most cases the damage done to books is in the dry-cleaning process or when liberating the book from the slab, not while they are in the press.

I had offered on-site pressing at shows many years back. I lugged around 15 presses to WW Philly and Chicago due to the on-site grading. 

I stopped doing it.

But why

Don't you know, you can be a YouTube SUPERSTAR!

On 5/14/2022 at 9:58 AM, joeypost said:

I'd rather my work speak on my behalf. 

Exactly 

I don't know if I'll get into pressing myself, its a very consuming hobby, as in time and resources 

But while I can find pressers who share their work, good and bad, I feel comfortable in making a choice on who handles my books.

Let the work speak for itself

Those that stint or cheap out, will get cheap results. Show me a person like that who has a quality collection 

I collect drek, but its high quality drek lol

On 5/14/2022 at 4:21 PM, thehumantorch said:

No need, as a loyal customer I’ll speak for your work.  It’s top drawer and we’ve never been disappointed by your work and often positively surprised by the results

Shouldn't it be "top shelf" Dave?  Like in EXPENSIVE BOOZE  lol

On 5/14/2022 at 7:02 PM, Upgrayedd2 said:

Great idea, but need to work on presentation. Hoping they see the value in the feedback.

On-Site pressing as the great idea? 

On 5/14/2022 at 7:43 AM, joeypost said:

Based on this video, I can guarantee most pressing services done mysteriously behind doors are better than these guys. If they handle books this harshly WHILE BEING VIDEO TAPED, imagine what they do in private. Cracking out a book is an art in itself. In most cases the damage done to books is in the dry-cleaning process or when liberating the book from the slab, not while they are in the press.

I had offered on-site pressing at shows many years back. I lugged around 15 presses to WW Philly and Chicago due to the on-site grading. 

I stopped doing it.

The washroom wasn't a pretty site as a whole trip with no maid service though :p

On 5/14/2022 at 3:20 PM, joeypost said:

On-Site pressing as the great idea? 

Ah! Allow me to correct myself and please keep in mind I haven't been to a comic show in over 20 years. 

I meant that offering pressing at a comic show is a great idea. However, I recommend the vendor work within an enclosed area kind of like GCG/CBCS/PGX(?) when they grade at shows.

And I am on the list of "would have freaked out" if I saw someone crack open a case like that. I played in slow motion to see how much the comic flexed within the sleeve. I could not tell if the vendor was looking down as he cracked it. Fortunately he was wearing glasses in case a piece fired off (but not the guy doing the interview).

Wow one of their showcase books really is a Fantastic Four #353. That's desperate. Just from that I'd be wary. 

After seeing how he cracks the case I think he's in the wrong business. He needs to get into chiropractics. They're shoddy enough to have him onboard and he can offer that at cons. 

Edited by Cat