• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FOOM Magazine

46 posts in this topic

Looks like Foom Magazine is finally getting attention due to CGC recognizing key 1st appearances especially in issues 2,10, and 15.

Thoughts on this?  I believe this series has the potential to become extremely hot and wouldn't be surprised if some of these books hit 5 figures in the near future.  A complete high grade set is hard to come by.  I am close to completing  a 9.4 set but its taken me quite a while to do so.  

On 5/14/2022 at 10:22 PM, Tony S said:

FOOM 10 is basically legit and people are warming up to it.  I personally am unconvinced FOOM 10 was distributed before GS X-Men 1 and more research ought to be done before  Foom 10 is considered first. Grand Comic Book Database - noting Library of Congress info -  indicates GSXM 1 was out first. However - all that said - even if Foom 10 came out first it is not a "first appearance". There is no "New" X-Men story here.  Foom was Marvel's in house fan publication. There is a cover, a centerfold and an article. But there is no "story".  So regardless of publication date, the first comic book appearance of the "new" X-Men is GS X-Men 1.  

Maybe in time these fan type publications and their previews of upcoming comics/characters and events will become highly sought after. There are actually quite a few such examples. Probably hundreds. Marvel Age is stuffed full of such. So to is Comic Interview.  But there is a very real difference between an article with a few pictures of a new comic team/character/book coming out soon and the actual book that introduces the character(s) / tells the first story. 

There are literally hundreds of ads in which superheros were previewed.  These include in-house ads for Action 1, Detective 27, and, perhaps closest to being a "first" the ad for Action 252 in issue 251.  They also include preview ads in numerous industry preview publications and fanzines.  Electra was on the cover of the Comics Journal long before she was in Daredevil, same is true for numerous characters in the pages of other publications like Amazing Heroes, Comics Buyers Guide (which also included preview posters and flyers), the ones you name, etc. etc. etc.  NONE of these are first appearances.  They are just preview ads.  And the market does not deem those true "first appearances," UNLESS they are an actual comic story (like DC Comics Presents 26).  Hell, the market has enough trouble with Incredible Hulk 180 being the first appearance of Wolverine (which it is as an actual in story plotline and reveal). 

So I completely agree that FOOM, Comics Interview, publisher previews, Comics Journal, etc. are just footnotes, not real "first appearances."  And I also agree the market is not going to change that attitude.  As an aside, hard for me to take seriously anyone who thinks FOOM 2 is anything notable, as it has nothing to do with anything. 

Edited by sfcityduck

I think the value of the various preview issues, especially when related to "keys" that had larger print runs (Hulk 181, ASM 300, Ultimate Fall Out #4) is that they do represent something else to add to your collection from the characters' early days that not everyone else already has, which remains some part, however small, in why most people collect most things. In those terms, the most "valuable" are the kinds that were not intended to be saved at all, namely ordering catalogs, since the vast majority of them went into the trash after use, unlike "Amazing Heroes", Marvel Age, "Comics Interview", etc. Those I always saved as I liked keeping them for reference, especially if they featured new art.

On 5/14/2022 at 11:40 PM, jdandns said:

I think the value of the various preview issues, especially when related to "keys" that had larger print runs (Hulk 181, ASM 300, Ultimate Fall Out #4) is that they do represent something else to add to your collection from the characters' early days that not everyone else already has, which remains some part, however small, in why most people collect most things. In those terms, the most "valuable" are the kinds that were not intended to be saved at all, namely ordering catalogs, since the vast majority of them went into the trash after use, unlike "Amazing Heroes", Marvel Age, "Comics Interview", etc. Those I always saved as I liked keeping them for reference, especially if they featured new art.

Sure.  Preview issues, ads, posters, etc. have value.  People collect a lot of stuff.  But I am a comic book collector.  To me, as with the OPG and CGC, “first appearance” means first comic book story appearance not first appearance in a newspaper or film or poster on radio or on a button etc.  

IH 180 is Wolverine’s first appearance in a comic book story.  FOOM 2 is not Wolverine or a comic book story.  It is literally no relation to the X-man.  To say otherwise IMHO is to attempt to deceive. Sort of like some of the “prototype” shenanigans.

On 5/15/2022 at 12:51 AM, Spideyham said:

Looks like Foom Magazine is finally getting attention due to CGC recognizing key 1st appearances especially in issues 2,10, and 15.

Thoughts on this?  I believe this series has the potential to become extremely hot and wouldn't be surprised if some of these books hit 5 figures in the near future.  A complete high grade set is hard to come by.  I am close to completing  a 9.4 set but its taken me quite a while to do so.  

There's actually a full set ending on Ebay today.  Current bid $699 🤔

On 5/15/2022 at 12:51 AM, Spideyham said:

On 5/15/2022 at 11:22 AM, Artboy99 said:

Interesting points of view.

Foom 2  contains a kid's comic character creation named The Wolverine that came out before Incredible Hulk 180 - 181. The design clearly shows some form of regeneration and the character has some kind of metal "skeleton" under his skin. Perhaps it is not Marvel's Wolverine character, but the parallels can't be ignored.

It is also clear none of you have read Andy Olsen's interview regarding this:

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/talking-to-andy-olson-the-original-creator-of-marvels-wolverine-comics/

Lawsuit? No, but that isn't proof the kid wasn't ripped off.

20220515_102459.jpg

His own uncle called him "Id-iot".  His idea was sold.

Edited by JollyComics

On 5/15/2022 at 12:52 PM, MR SigS said:

This is the only FOOM I have.

I don't consider it a first appearance of anything, but I do find it collectable.

dwTYokJl.jpgi9g7cpil.jpg

3GV0kjpl.jpgXmGJzJtl.jpg

I enjoy the classic stylish 70's front cover :x

The back cover kind of looks like the Thing and Pip the Troll are naked, due to coloring! lol 

Pimp style! :headbang: 

On 5/15/2022 at 10:55 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I enjoy the classic stylish 70's front cover :x

The back cover kind of looks like the Thing and Pip the Troll are naked, due to coloring! lol 

Pimp style! :headbang: 

I guess they forgot about General Ross.

I think it would have been nice to see Jack Kirby on the cover. He was a cigar man.

On 5/15/2022 at 7:50 AM, sfcityduck said:

Sure.  Preview issues, ads, posters, etc. have value.  People collect a lot of stuff.  But I am a comic book collector.  To me, as with the OPG and CGC, “first appearance” means first comic book story appearance not first appearance in a newspaper or film or poster on radio or on a button etc.  

IH 180 is Wolverine’s first appearance in a comic book story.  FOOM 2 is not Wolverine or a comic book story.  It is literally no relation to the X-man.  To say otherwise IMHO is to attempt to deceive. Sort of like some of the “prototype” shenanigans.

On 5/15/2022 at 9:22 AM, Artboy99 said:

Interesting points of view.

Foom 2  contains a kid's comic character creation named The Wolverine that came out before Incredible Hulk 180 - 181. The design clearly shows some form of regeneration and the character has some kind of metal "skeleton" under his skin. Perhaps it is not Marvel's Wolverine character, but the parallels can't be ignored.

It is also clear none of you have read Andy Olsen's interview regarding this:

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/talking-to-andy-olson-the-original-creator-of-marvels-wolverine-comics/

Lawsuit? No, but that isn't proof the kid wasn't ripped off.

20220515_102459.jpg

I'd heard of that, but had never seen it. I like that the kid also gave them the Weapon X idea (at lower left), too, haha...

My eye is drawn to the "Midnight Stranger" character at left by Bill Morrison. I wonder if that's the same guy who is highly accomplished as a movie poster illustrator and probably best-known for his longtime work on the Simpsons comic line and merchandising art. If so, very cool. Take a look at the pictures at the end of this interview with him to see some of his vintage toy collection.

https://detroitbookfest.com/detroit-artist-bill-morrison/

FOOM was before my time, but I collect Steranko, so luckily I went back and got some of the early issues when they were inexpensive. I did miss #2, though, unfortunately.

Edited by jdandns

On 5/15/2022 at 1:32 PM, jdandns said:

My eye is drawn to the "Midnight Stranger" character at left by Bill Morrison. I wonder if that's the same guy who is highly accomplished as a movie poster illustrator and probably best-known for his longtime work on the Simpsons comic line and merchandising art. If so, very cool. Take a look at the pictures at the end of this interview with him to see some of his vintage toy collection.

https://detroitbookfest.com/detroit-artist-bill-morrison/

After reading part of the interview with him at that link......and based on his background, collecting interests and chosen career........I'd think the odds of it being the same guy are pretty good.

That article on him is pretty long, so I didn't notice if it had any contact (email) information provided to reach out to Bill Morrison or not......but would be interesting to send him a quick message and ask him if that was his submission in FOOM.

On 5/15/2022 at 3:03 PM, Domo Arigato said:

After reading part of the interview with him at that link......and based on his background, collecting interests and chosen career........I'd think the odds of it being the same guy are pretty good.

That article on him is pretty long, so I didn't notice if it had any contact (email) information provided to reach out to Bill Morrison or not......but would be interesting to send him a quick message and ask him if that was his submission in FOOM.

He's at Motor City Comic Con today. You could ring up @SkOw and see if he can get him to answer this question.

This was originally a $5.00 raw purchase in the 90's. First magazine sized book I sent to CGC just after they expanded in to the mag size arena.   IIRC at the time it was the highest graded but no more.

There was a time back then when The Kirby issue #11 was one of the most sought after issues of the title. Times have changed.

Foom_11.thumb.jpg.b7be079f710bf771e4018e5e73b033a4.jpgFoom_11b.thumb.jpg.f0121f4f714e2d8164862e6b9bb3233a.jpg

As for the original post: My opinion: I just don't see any of the issues hitting 10K except as an outlier. Even if #10 did in 9.8 not sure it would hold there? They really ain't comics and I feel for many simply lack the required cachet.  Now if there were enough in High Grade to be manipulated into the next hot thing well then who knows :)

Edited by MAR1979

Well this auction ending tonight should tell whether or not this is a good series to speculate on or not.  I searched Ebay and its the only high grade complete set being offered for sale. https://www.ebay.com/itm/265683584068?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=u8ran81CRFu&sssrc=2051273&ssuid=u8ran81CRFu&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY