• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's AVENGERS: SECRET WARS (2025)
2 2

83 posts in this topic

Kevin Feige of Marvel Studios says Phase 4 of the Marvel Cinematic Universe is nearly at an end, but the next saga is just beginning. After concluding the Infinity Saga — the 23 films spanning 2008's Iron Man, culminating in 2019's Avengers: Endgame and Spider-Man: Far From Home — the Multiverse has opened. With the MCU sprawling across both theaters and television screens in such universe-expanding series as Disney+'s Loki, unleashing multiversal mischief in Spider-Man: No Way Home and Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, Feige teases the upcoming Phase 5: the rumored Secret Wars Saga. 

"As we're nearing the end of Phase 4, I think people will start to see where this next saga is going," Feige told Total Film. "I think there have been many clues already, that are at least apparent to me, of where this whole saga is going."

The teased endgame is Secret Wars, inspired by the 2015 comic book crossover of the same name, where a multiversal war and cosmic events called incursions threaten the destruction of entire universes. Marvel has hinted at the direction of this next phase with the arrival of He Who Remains (Loki's Jonathan Majors, who will return as the timelord Kang the Conqueror in Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania), and the looming perils of incursions in Doctor Strange 2.  

On 5/16/2022 at 11:47 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

They did say that they would be willing to come back specifically for Secret Wars. Whether or not that would be a good thing is up in the air.

If I recall correctly they said they were SW 1984 fans not 2015.  With all the Multiverse / Incursion talk in the movies it's obviously has to be the 2015 version...:tonofbricks:

Personally I think the multiverse / incursion is too over-the-top and they should have saved it for down the road.  There are some many other stories that they could have focused on before going to the extreme.  I mean, Infinity Sage then Multiverse and then... what next? Back to street level stuff?

Edited by Xenosmilus

On 6/20/2022 at 9:39 PM, Xenosmilus said:

If I recall correctly they said they were SW 1984 fans not 2015.  With all the Multiverse / Incursion talk in the movies it's obviously has to be the 2015 version...:tonofbricks:

Personally I think the multiverse / incursion is too over-the-top and they should have saved it for down the road.  There are some many other stories that they could have focused on before going to the extreme.  I mean, Infinity Sage then Multiverse and then... what next? Back to street level stuff?

It helps bring in the FF and xmen 

On 6/20/2022 at 10:39 PM, Xenosmilus said:

Since the Marvel Comics executive team made sure to have Jim Shooter sign over the rights to Secret Wars (1984-1985), that gives me some hope. Otherwise, why would they offer him $10K to finalize the agreement?

On 6/21/2022 at 6:54 AM, Bosco685 said:

Since the Marvel Comics executive team made sure to have Jim Shooter sign over the rights to Secret Wars (1984-1985), that gives me some hope. Otherwise, why would they offer him $10K to finalize the agreement?

it may just be for the name only

it makes more sense for the 2015 version, it would be an easy to incorporate the fox teams as they existed in another universe and therefore the reason why we weren't aware of them in the 616

I reckon someone will be coming to settle the score over the murders of Xavier, Reed, Back Bolt, & the two captains. 

Edited by TupennyConan
murders, not deaths

On 6/21/2022 at 12:14 PM, jsilverjanet said:

it may just be for the name only

it makes more sense for the 2015 version, it would be an easy to incorporate the fox teams as they existed in another universe and therefore the reason why we weren't aware of them in the 616

Oh really? Good to know.

On 6/21/2022 at 9:37 AM, Bosco685 said:

Have not read the 2015 stories

I just got back into comics when the 2015 crossover was happening. Since it was a huge crossover with a lot of unneccessary tie ins, it just put me off as it made no sense to a new reader. Also, I got the impression 95% of it was meaningless and would have no lasting ramifications or be referred to in the future. If you read Hickman's Avengers run up to SW and the Secret Wars series itself, it's pretty good. 

Just to be safe, I'm banking on the original Shooter Secret Wars and the Hickman series. I'm thinking the Hickman series makes more sense with incursions, but I could see a huge all out battle which would reflect the Shooter series. Both are too good not to incorporate into movies. 

On 6/22/2022 at 2:57 PM, Lpgk said:

I just got back into comics when the 2015 crossover was happening. Since it was a huge crossover with a lot of unneccessary tie ins, it just put me off as it made no sense to a new reader. Also, I got the impression 95% of it was meaningless and would have no lasting ramifications or be referred to in the future. If you read Hickman's Avengers run up to SW and the Secret Wars series itself, it's pretty good. 

Just to be safe, I'm banking on the original Shooter Secret Wars and the Hickman series. I'm thinking the Hickman series makes more sense with incursions, but I could see a huge all out battle which would reflect the Shooter series. Both are too good not to incorporate into movies. 

I'm sure they will use some of both, and I agree the second is a long winded mess, but figured it might be a good way to reset who is who etc

On 6/22/2022 at 12:13 PM, jsilverjanet said:

I'm sure they will use some of both, and I agree the second is a long winded mess, but figured it might be a good way to reset who is who etc

Well this is the perfect way for them to acknowledge the Foxverse but yet give them the opportunity to start over. They can even pick and choose who they want to bring over or reboot. 

On 6/22/2022 at 3:18 PM, Lpgk said:

Well this is the perfect way for them to acknowledge the Foxverse but yet give them the opportunity to start over. They can even pick and choose who they want to bring over or reboot. 

agreed

On 6/22/2022 at 4:13 PM, jsilverjanet said:

On 6/22/2022 at 4:18 PM, Lpgk said:

Imwithyoufellas.gif.5ab8ec4a12ccf9b8e047d87537f724cb.gif

Agreed with all. I think elements from both will be used and there are so many scenes from Secret Wars 2015 that I could see on the screen.

SW2015 is just such a better more interesting written story than the original 80's Secret Wars anyway.

The original Secret Wars felt more on the level "Spider-Man eats Twinkies after catching the bank robbers" quality of story." It's really just bad.

Secret Wars 2 is even worse. Although it did have that awesome Johnny Storm tie in where the kids set him self on fire. FF 285.

(One of the best FF stories ever!!)

Edited by Rip