• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

questionable label given to my book as a US version when in fact it is a UK publication
1 1

11 posts in this topic

I am posting this question to fellow members as I am unsure I will even hear back from CGC on this matter

Submission #4058194

I submitted this UK pense version of ghost rider #9 which is not really ghost rider 9, but a compilation of various ghost rider issues from the1950's. However i see that the powers that be saw fit to just list it as a US version of ghost rider 9 by magazine enterprises since they obviously couldn't find any info on this book and rather just send it back to be non graded with the explanation that this book cannot be verified. Now i have this freshly graded book that i cannot market properly in its present encapsulation because it has clearly been represented incorrectly.  Now what exactly do you propose i do at this point.

Is it wrong for me to expect that if you don't know what it is, then don't grade it??

Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 7.18.45 AM.png

IMG_2586.jpeg

IMG_2585.jpeg

IMG_2584.jpeg

IMG_2583.jpeg

IMG_2580.jpeg

IMG_2581.jpeg

IMG_2578.jpeg

IMG_2579.jpeg

Edited by Courageous Cat

@Courageous Cat

Nice book, Cat.

I don't know if you are aware but CGC have adopted a strategy of labelling and recording 'international' books which reprint original US covers with the details of the US book, not the actual book. Here is an explanation from their recent communication:

foreign.thumb.PNG.9668a175e9062dd227ab35cea80089b1.PNG

"CGC classifies and labels foreign editions by the title and issue number of their US counterpart, but also lists the foreign title and issue on the label as well."

And here is a link to it:

https://www.cgccomics.com/international-comics/

It may be that CGC have just made a mistake, and taken your Cartoon Art Productions book for the US original, or it may be that they have consciously labelled it in line with their new practice in which case the slab label should include the original book details as an afterthought as in the examples above. Maybe give them a call to check which it is.

Good luck.

On 5/19/2022 at 7:57 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

@Courageous Cat

Nice book, Cat.

I don't know if you are aware but CGC have adopted a strategy of labelling and recording 'international' books which reprint original US covers with the details of the US book, not the actual book. Here is an explanation from their recent communication:

foreign.thumb.PNG.9668a175e9062dd227ab35cea80089b1.PNG

"CGC classifies and labels foreign editions by the title and issue number of their US counterpart, but also lists the foreign title and issue on the label as well."

And here is a link to it:

https://www.cgccomics.com/international-comics/

It may be that CGC have just made a mistake, and taken your Cartoon Art Productions book for the US original, or it may be that they have consciously labelled it in line with their new practice in which case the slab label should include the original book details as an afterthought as in the examples above. Maybe give them a call to check which it is.

Good luck.

thank u! i wasn't aware of this practice but i see that there is no mention of this being a foreign version which made my head explode. Hopefully i can get clarification of what was done and why specifically

On 5/19/2022 at 1:05 PM, Courageous Cat said:

thank u! i wasn't aware of this practice but i see that there is no mention of this being a foreign version which made my head explode. Hopefully i can get clarification of what was done and why specifically

Yes, there's no mention of the actual UK book details in your screen shot....

Capture.thumb.PNG.cec7a235205483dda78c0c2f98d572ea.PNG

....but I don't know how they factor that strategy aspect into these advices, if at all. The only way to be sure is to ask them, or to see the actual finished slab label.

If you do call, Cat, would you do me a favour? Would you ask them, if they have labelled it as the US book with the UK details secondary, are you able to request that the UK details be made primary if that is your choice? In other words, request for them to label the book literally, and not in line with their new strategy? I can't get an answer to that one.

More discussion here if you're at a loose end one day!

On 5/19/2022 at 8:29 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Yes, there's no mention of the original book details in your screen shot....

Capture.thumb.PNG.cec7a235205483dda78c0c2f98d572ea.PNG

....but I don't know how they factor that strategy aspect into these advices, if at all. The only way to be sure is to ask them, or to see the actual finished slab label.

If you do call, Cat, would you do me a favour? Would you ask them, if they have labelled it as the US book with the UK details secondary, are you able to request that the UK details be made primary if that is your choice? In other words, request for them to label the book literally, and not in line with their new strategy? I can't get an answer to that one.

More discussion here if you're at a loose end one day!

No problem. It's due to arrive on monday so i can look at it then if i can't get a hold of anyone by then

On 5/24/2022 at 3:07 PM, Courageous Cat said:

nope! Labeled incorrectly but to their credit its currently on its way back air overnight UPS no charge....just a hassle is all

IMG_2715.jpeg

That describes modern day CGC as a firm. "On some occassions they will make things right but it will be a stressful hassle"