• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would you have the writer sign the original art?

26 posts in this topic

On 6/2/2022 at 9:41 AM, JadeGiant said:

This is worth it for me. These are more than just art, they are artifacts from the production of stories that we loved. The writers have just as much history with these pages as the artists and that part of owning the pages means a lot to some, including myself. Just make sure to specify where you want them to sign. 

I have a really cool splash page from Gordon of Gotham and brought it for Denny O'Neil to sign a few years ago and he started telling me all these stories about how much he loved writing about Jim Gordon and he really enjoyed that storyline. He talked to me for so long I felt bad for holding up the line haha 

On 5/20/2022 at 8:30 PM, comix4fun said:

Most of the time it doesn't have any impact on the piece or its desirability. 

However, if it was written by someone like Harlan Ellison, Alan Moore, Margaret Atwood, Chuck Palahniuk, Stephen King, Jonathan Lethem, etc.,
or the old greats of Sci-Fi who sporadically saw his work published in comics like Isaac Asimov would move the needle for folks. 

Ah, to have a signed piece of artwork Patricia Highsmith wrote! 

On 5/20/2022 at 9:49 AM, Bronty said:

Signature on published art is pretty well redundant.

This is my opinion as well. I see no reason to ever get the art signed by anyone. It can hurt resale value, it can mar presentation, the author's involvement is already implicit in the creation of the work, etc. Have them sign something that isn't a 1 of 1 historical artifact that the signature can never be removed from. Probably not a popular opinion, but I've always felt pretty strongly about this.

Edit: I might make an exception for Moore, Gaiman, and the like. I would want to be really thoughtful on where they signed though. I think signatures bother me the most on modern art, which tends to be really clean. Older art often already has many artifacts and notes in the margins where a signature wouldn't feel out of place.

Edited by Varanis

I wouldn't but that's just me.  Writer had very little to do with the creation of the page, even if the artist was working from a full -script it's still created by the artist(s) alone.

Edited by AndyFish

On 6/3/2022 at 12:33 PM, Hockeyflow33 said:

I have a really cool splash page from Gordon of Gotham and brought it for Denny O'Neil to sign a few years ago and he started telling me all these stories about how much he loved writing about Jim Gordon and he really enjoyed that storyline. He talked to me for so long I felt bad for holding up the line haha 

Good stuff - moments like these are gold and I have often had similar experiences and wished I had hit record on the phone

On 5/20/2022 at 6:26 PM, igotnogame said:

I have most of my Sandman OA signed by Neil as well as the artists who did the work.

Why?  Well, to me, Neil's words are just as important as the art, IMHO.  Honestly, if I had anything that Alan Moore wrote, I'd feel the same way.

Does it add anything to the value?  Probably not, but I'd argue getting Neil to sign something is about the same degree of difficulty to get most of the other artists signatures these days.

And, Neil signed my pages in the margins with a ballpoint pen.  I'd suggest the same for anyone signing OA.

Gaiman was the first writer who came to mind. I think I have seen more pages with his signature than without. ;)