• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What to do with free gift when submitting?
1 1

8 posts in this topic

I have a UK Captain Britain #1 which I would like gradded and slabbed.  When submitting, what should I do with the free gift, which is a mask in mint condition?  Does it add to the comic's grading or is it not required?  If it improves the grade, what happens to it when slabbed?

Best regards,

Duncan

The mask would be treated the same way as a Certificate of Authenticity.  That is not inserted into the slab, and you could risk losing it if you send it with the comic.

So keep the mask, send the comic.  When it comes back, keep them together.

If a poster or other insert is stapled into the comic, it is part of the comic.  You don't remove those, as it will be incomplete without them.  Since they are inside the comic, they are kept together as manufactured, and encapsulated.

If the poster or other insert are not stapled into the comic, like enclosed WITH the comic in a sealed polybag, you open the bag and send in the comic.  Keep together upon return.

On 5/22/2022 at 8:42 PM, Topnotchman said:

Absolutely keep the mask with the comic as it came glued in. Otherwise it’s a qualified grade green label if it’s missing. 

I had no idea it was glued in, and probably the OP didn't either or he would have mentioned that.  If it's no longer glued in, just included with the comic submission, won't it get a qualified grade anyway (Mask Detached From Comic)?  It is not being presented as it was manufactured.

I think that is how they would grade a comic that was supposed to have the poster attached in the centerfold, but now was only placed in there, loose.

On 5/22/2022 at 8:57 PM, Topnotchman said:

From memory it was a spot or dot of glue. It’s possible that it falls off with age.  I have one with a lot of glue as it’s welded in pretty good. 

Sounds like it wouldn't be a crime to glue it back in place, if carefully done.  I can't see them saying "Glue Added to Glue".

Thanks for the replies but the mask originally came free and unattached in the middle of the comic.  No glue or serrated edge holding it.  Its just a piece of paper-thin cardboard.  Regards, Duncan