• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wil I get a restoration grade if I use the same staples without cleaning but remove them to clean the pages
1 1

16 posts in this topic

The book has rust marks I can’t hide that but I would like to take the rust that has shed off the staples from the page I’m not trying to clean the staples, only the rust on the page.

This is fraught with hazard if the book is high value and you don't have your technique down pat. I only use it on books I'm doing full length spine repairs on which have little or no real value but I want a book I can handle. Assess the structure of the book first. If it's pretty sound along spine and around staples, consider dry cleaning with staples in place. Especially if you don't plan on cleaning the rusty staples themselves.

On 5/23/2022 at 10:39 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

remove rust 'stains'.

I can remove the stains but I went easy I didn’t want to remove completely but it looked like I lightened the stain. Which I thought might be a give away I can remove the rust stain better but it’s not ever going to look perfect given it’s age1964.

On 5/27/2022 at 12:32 AM, LowGradeBronze said:

consider dry cleaning with staples in place.

Hmmm I wonder how I would do that. It’s has rust stains on each page at the staple that decreases in staining from front to back.

On 5/24/2022 at 1:12 AM, gadzukes said:

90% of the time when I have tried to remove a rusty staple, it breaks at the bend of the tine.  Be careful.

Yep one half of a the rusted staple broke still got the other half to hold it. Might Frankenstein a staple. How obvious would that be? Guess it depends on the staples vintage

On 5/23/2022 at 8:39 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Let's pretend:

• You disassemble the book.
  • You dry-clean the pages to remove rust 'stains'.
  • You reassemble the book to perfection.

CGC wouldn't be able to detect it if done with non-restoration methods, so you would still get a Universal label.

This will either happen OR they will be able to identify the staples seeming looser or not appearing bent/pressing/laying in the same spot original to the book. It boils down to the person's ability. Me, well CGC would surely know. Someone with experience? Better odds for sure of going undetected.

On 5/22/2022 at 3:16 PM, 815K1 said:

The book has rust marks I can’t hide that but I would like to take the rust that has shed off the staples from the page I’m not trying to clean the staples, only the rust on the page.

I agree with the general consensus here.  If you remove the staples and put them back in but don't clean them, you will likely get a blue label.  Any damage to the staples from reinsertion will be treated as a defect and will result in a downgrade.  

If you clean or replace the staples, I know that historically the book would receive a green label Qualified grade, but I believe that nowadays that kind of thing will receive a Conserved label.  (This is based upon the "CGC: An Overview of Comic Book Restoration" section of the latest edition of the Overstreet Guide to Grading Comics.)  

On 6/10/2022 at 2:04 AM, LowGradeBronze said:

I think it's about time this thread had some pictures....:popcorn:

Ok sorry I been vague hope this explains it. I could wash it and press it again the rust was responding well. Don’t have before photos but the top staple is rusted as. I didn’t want it to seem like a full restore so I stopped shy of trying to fully remove stain

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I don't think the rust is going to affect the grade very much, if at all, at that level.  I would just leave it alone.  

And nice book, by the way!  I just picked up a Sgt. Fury #8 last month for my collection.  A very underrated key in my opinion!  

On 6/26/2022 at 2:25 PM, Jackson13 said:

What makes it a "key"?

It's the first appearance of the first Baron Zemo, tied with Avengers #6, which came out the same day.  This book is an earlier chronological appearance, since it's a WWII story, so for that reason it has additional significance.  Avengers #6 has always been worth a lot more because of the costume and the popularity of that series vs. the Sgt. Fury series, but if Zemo becomes a major character in the MCU (which he very well may, in light of the Thunderbolts announcement earlier this month), this book will see a strong increase in demand in my opinion.  

Granted, this is that Zemo's father, but these books jumped when Zemo made his earlier MCU appearances, and if the father Zemo makes a flashback appearance or something, that's just more fuel to the fire.