• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replica
4 4

36 posts in this topic

On 5/24/2022 at 1:19 PM, Sigur Ros said:

These are facsimiles. 

They just aren't authorized. 

Nor are they on the same paper type. 

Actually, these are more accurate facsimiles because the official versions have differences like bar codes, or current price tags, etc. 

These are on lovely newsprint, (dribble, slobber,) not that awful glossy paper modern facsimiles and milestones are printed on. 

I have a Detective 27 facsimile that I bought years ago on Feebay. It has pulp newsprint paper and is really nice. Sort of like the Masterpiece editions of Batman 1 and Superman 1. But as far as I know the Tec is unauthorized.

On 5/23/2022 at 12:09 PM, ramrodcar said:

It's not just Marvel/DC, there's lots of "photocopy" Warren, Creepy, Eerie, Vampirella listings too.

Wow. Wasn’t aware of the Warren repli-copies although I see the other stuff all the time. I’ve been tempted with buying a few pch stuff that I have slabbed but I’d feel so dirty afterwards

So how does one tell the difference between these and real copies?  Obviously from the picture the ink C0B7F890-DA0C-4EB0-824E-3214EEA541C0.thumb.png.5384c0e8f2289e1a9682cbce02a1f86b.pngis way different but I wonder if some enterprising individuals are taking these and giving them a slight weathered look and passing them off to unsuspecting buyers.

On 8/18/2022 at 9:06 PM, Bob Sacamano said:

So how does one tell the difference between these and real copies?  Obviously from the picture the ink is way different but I wonder if some enterprising individuals are taking these and giving them a slight weathered look and passing them off to unsuspecting buyers.

That, my friend, is the crux of the problem with anything reproduced without authorization.

On 8/18/2022 at 9:10 PM, Bob Sacamano said:

I see they located the staples way off the fold too.  If someone went to a lot of trouble they could replace the staples or just move them to the right place but the holes should still be there.524319A2-C163-48B8-B9AE-29160A28F790.thumb.png.dfe20dd478dd43f269228b3e2c9e0fab.png79CD6305-DFAB-4688-985D-73D5B45909C3.thumb.png.5fab81e6ca963486922045c0e615f8e8.png

I have actual Silver Age Marvels with staples placed like this :D 

This one appears to be made from the omnibus or Milestone edition.  I think the best way here is the dot matrix printing of old Vs what you see there.  Also the interior cover appears to be from a copy of the actual comic which has faded and uneven ink while presumably the rest of the comic doesn’t.

My Mom had dementia and was swindled for more than $10k so I hate even the idea of these things.

4ED75307-2A32-434A-A598-6CBDDD9067F7.thumb.png.23a50feb73242b3e837608a9369f674f.png

On 8/18/2022 at 9:06 PM, Bob Sacamano said:

So how does one tell the difference between these and real copies?  Obviously from the picture the ink C0B7F890-DA0C-4EB0-824E-3214EEA541C0.thumb.png.5384c0e8f2289e1a9682cbce02a1f86b.pngis way different but I wonder if some enterprising individuals are taking these and giving them a slight weathered look and passing them off to unsuspecting buyers.

Especially under the current grading, QC regime…

Is there a way to tell the difference? As I see some eBay sellers now aging the interior pages so it looks like the original even more…. Hate to see anyone get ripped off buying a replica thinking it’s a original 

On 5/23/2022 at 10:09 AM, ramrodcar said:

It's not just Marvel/DC, there's lots of "photocopy" Warren, Creepy, Eerie, Vampirella listings too.

Gawd, no kidding. Screws up my saved searches. 98% of my hits have those photocopies in it.

On 8/19/2022 at 9:35 AM, Krismusic said:

Is there a way to tell the difference?

I guess a person could try doing 'spot the difference' with a real copy online using Heritage or MCS solds. The problem is in not knowing what you're looking for.

I think that ultimately you just have to know what you're looking at or holding, and that's why scams work. If you know in advance that your local government doesn't issue warrants for missed jury duty dates, then you won't end up buying gift cards for strangers.