• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

(Pre) Canadian Whites.
2 2

9 posts in this topic

Hello.

I have these two early Golden Age comics that I believe are Canadian Whites and wonder if anyone has any information about them.

The first is titled King Comics and uses the cover to the US King Comics no 9 without a date on the cover or indicia and with an amended cover.

The back cover is blank as are the interiors of the front and back covers. The strips inside are in full colour.

The second is called Home Comics about which I can find no information whatsoever.The interior of both the front and back covers are blank. The interior

strips are in full colour.

Scans attached.

Thanks. Stephen.

001.jpg

002.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

On 5/25/2022 at 12:53 PM, Redshade said:
Hello.

I have these two early Golden Age comics that I believe are Canadian Whites and wonder if anyone has any information about them.

The first is titled King Comics and uses the cover to the US King Comics no 9 without a date on the cover or indicia and with an amended cover.

The back cover is blank as are the interiors of the front and back covers. The strips inside are in full colour.

The second is called Home Comics about which I can find no information whatsoever.The interior of both the front and back covers are blank. The interior

Scans attached.

Thanks. Stephen.

001.jpg

002.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

Hi Stephen :bigsmile:

Small world this is Stephen Lipson and I am also eccomic here on the boards and my friend human torch above referred you to me

Edited by eccomic
Hi

On 5/25/2022 at 10:38 PM, sfcityduck said:

Cool comics!

But are all Canadian white collectors named Stephen?

Yes! It is the LAW.

dredd22.jpg

Edited by Redshade

I am informed by Mr Doug Sulipa that there were US reprinted comics produced for the Canadian market in the late 30s with blank inside covers before the Canadian Whites were produced.
Could these be part of that?
These two comics above were probably produced by Eastern Publishing.
I am still open to any information that anyone may have.

On 5/25/2022 at 5:53 PM, Redshade said:
Hello.

Scans attached.

Thanks. Stephen.

001.jpg

002.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

I'm open to offers if anyone would like to purchase these two rare comics.

My question are:

1) Why would a US publisher print a comic in the US before the embargo of US comics that prevented US comics coming in during wartime be considered a Canadian wartime comic when it is obviously like any old comic printed in the US that was allowed for sale in Canada?

Answer: They can, contract or  open a plant and print books in any country for economic reasons and,  for example , distribute them at a cheaper cost. Printing in Canada allows them to ship to the British Territories which Better Publications of Canada did in Toronto in later years when they opened a branch plant to reprint US issues and take advantage of cost savings as a result  

The only other similarity I see is it has a Pseudo title that is similar in nature to how Canadian Comics from 40's-50's reprinted material with generic titles like this and were reprints of US material.

These books are interesting books if sold on the open market like ebay or the Auction houses and I suggest you sell them there to reach the widest group of collectors.