• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man 300 - Restored copy received by mistake
1 1

11 posts in this topic

I recently submitted a newsstand copy of Amazing Spider-Man 300 in pretty good condition (along with several other comics).  I got my shipment back in April, and the copy that I received back from CGC was a heavily restored direct edition copy.  I have been working over the phone with CGC for the past month, but they haven't had any luck locating my copy so far.  Probably a long shot, but I thought I would post this to see if anyone knows someone who submitted a heavily restored direct edition copy of Amazing Spider-Man 300 that got back a much nicer newsstand copy.  Thanks

On 5/26/2022 at 5:41 PM, DN30 said:

I recently submitted a newsstand copy of Amazing Spider-Man 300 in pretty good condition (along with several other comics).  I got my shipment back in April, and the copy that I received back from CGC was a heavily restored direct edition copy.  I have been working over the phone with CGC for the past month, but they haven't had any luck locating my copy so far.  Probably a long shot, but I thought I would post this to see if anyone knows someone who submitted a heavily restored direct edition copy of Amazing Spider-Man 300 that got back a much nicer newsstand copy.  Thanks

The skeptic in me does not see someone owning up to receiving the better part of this mistake. :(

Yikes! That is brutal. 

Hopefully they make it right (ie offer to pay you the value of the book they lost). This is why I always take pictures (and video) of my books before sending. I don't send many so I can see why people think this would be an inconvenience but if something like this happened to me, I would want all the proof in the world about the book I sent in so that CGC would have no choice but to make it right.

On 5/26/2022 at 2:41 PM, DN30 said:

I thought I would post this to see if anyone knows someone who submitted a heavily restored direct edition copy of Amazing Spider-Man 300.

Clear images of the encapsulated book (with close-ups of any features/flaws that may be unique to this copy) would help us help you.  Remember, "A picture is worth a thousand words." (thumbsu

On 5/27/2022 at 10:26 AM, zzutak said:

Clear images of the encapsulated book (with close-ups of any features/flaws that may be unique to this copy) would help us help you.  Remember, "A picture is worth a thousand words." (thumbsu

Here are a couple photos.  The newsstand copy is the one I submitted, and the slabbed direct copy is the one I got back.  If they can't find it, my understanding is the most you can get back is the amount you list as the declared value, not the FMV of a graded copy.  I listed the declared value a little too low, as this was my first time submitting, and was thinking of it was more of a pre-grade value.

Spiderman 300 - Sent.jpg

Spiderman 300 - Wrong comic.jpeg

On 5/27/2022 at 6:34 AM, comicginger1789 said:

Yikes! That is brutal. 

Hopefully they make it right (ie offer to pay you the value of the book they lost). This is why I always take pictures (and video) of my books before sending. I don't send many so I can see why people think this would be an inconvenience but if something like this happened to me, I would want all the proof in the world about the book I sent in so that CGC would have no choice but to make it right.

As someone who has received back books that were clearly damaged by CGC after receipt (finger bends and blunted edges on books that were submitted in my Full Back/Mylites2/Archive combo, and shipped within a bulletproof box), I agree with this 100%.  Always take photos of each book you send in, especially angled photos to show a lack of finger bends in the middle of the cover.  If you don't, it's too easy for CGC to claim that the bends were on the book when they received it and you'll have no recourse.

Incidentally, the dramatic increase in reports of books being damaged by CGC during grading is why I've stopped submitting books for grading.  I have a banker's box full of books that I planned to send in but I've been holding off for about six months.  This is unacceptable and I can't believe the community accepts this level of negligence by the leading grading service.  

On 6/10/2022 at 11:18 AM, rjpb said:

Was your submission listed as the restored copy when graded, or was the restored copy packed in your order by mistake?

The restored copy was listed in my submission when graded.  By the time I noticed it in the grader notes, it had already been shipped off. 

Edited by DN30