• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Joe Quesada leaving Marvel to pursue his own projects
1 1

42 posts in this topic

Wasn't aware he was still there, haven't heard his name in some time, though I don't really keep up with moderns. So...congrats, i guess??

I thought the Sentry was genius.  I missed the series the first time around and had to catch up when the Avengers reformed with him as an Avenger.

I don't follow modern comics but it seems he may stayed on a decade or two too long.  For good or bad, he is one of the most influential people in Marvel history.

On 5/31/2022 at 1:00 PM, Beastfeast said:

How'd he ruin Spider-Man?  Why are we mad?

He was largely the driving force behind One More Day, which is widely regarded as one of the worst Spider-Man arcs/initiatives/character changes.

Honestly, my initial reaction to this news is "and nothing of value was lost."

Yeeeeeeeah OMD is even worse considering the new status quo that we are being offered with the latest Spider-man reboot back in April.  So Mary Jane has two kids but they are not Peter's?

At this point I am skimming through each month's book just to maintain the collection.  It's getting bad.   Maybe with Joe gone they will reverse it back to what it was. 

Edited by Buzzetta

On 5/31/2022 at 2:02 PM, Beastfeast said:

I never read OMD. I was out of new comics by then and never revisited that era of Spider-Man.  That's probably why I never understood the hate for Joe Q.  

That and Slott's Brand New Day were the breaking point for me.  Amazing Spider-Man moved to bi-weekly which at that time never appealed to me because I felt it was a money grab to sell twice as many books while also resulting in a decrease in quality as work was then rushed to publication.  To top it off, Slott's writing was a few steps down from J. Michael Straczynski (who preceded him).  I cancelled my ASM sub and didn't return until the relaunch 7 years later, and even then it was the Alex Ross covers that drew me back in.

Inevitable that creators will move on elsewhere, same as Brian Michael Bendis a year or two back, who was at Marvel, likewise, for a very long time.

Sentry was okay. Quite liked the idea that someone with that much power would find it hard to handle and become psychotic or split personality.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 5/31/2022 at 5:51 PM, ExNihilo said:

That and Slott's Brand New Day were the breaking point for me.  Amazing Spider-Man moved to bi-weekly which at that time never appealed to me because I felt it was a money grab to sell twice as many books while also resulting in a decrease in quality as work was then rushed to publication.  To top it off, Slott's writing was a few steps down from J. Michael Straczynski (who preceded him).  I cancelled my ASM sub and didn't return until the relaunch 7 years later, and even then it was the Alex Ross covers that drew me back in.

Straczynski :censored:

D47B7A00-6229-4F0B-9CB1-935E4E5ED3E1.jpeg.f7bc3d607ab821a8a47beb279a14b17f.jpeg

On 5/31/2022 at 11:05 PM, Royal Blue said:

If you read World War Hulk, Sentry struggled to engage with the conflict and keep in control of his immense power. Still seeing mental health issues in play.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 5/31/2022 at 3:03 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Straczynski :censored:

D47B7A00-6229-4F0B-9CB1-935E4E5ED3E1.jpeg.f7bc3d607ab821a8a47beb279a14b17f.jpeg

Did you rip your book?  lol

But yeah, that was a head scratcher.  The only redeeming quality of that arc was Deodato's art.  But otherwise, I thoroughly enjoyed most of Straczynski's run on ASM.

On 5/31/2022 at 6:13 PM, ExNihilo said:

Did you rip your book?  lol

But yeah, that was a head scratcher.  The only redeeming quality of that arc was Deodato's art.  But otherwise, I thoroughly enjoyed most of Straczynski's run on ASM.

Tore it in half as soon as I finished reading that garbage.   JMS should’ve been flogged for messing with Gwen like that.

To be fair, there was some nice material produced during Quesada’s time; Morrison’s X-Men, Brubaker’s Captain America, and Daredevil, which has been extremely well-written and drawn for years and years under many creator teams, since the Marvel Knights phase.

If we are going to criticise anything, I’d backtrack further to the very, very destructive, indefensible Perelman era.

Edited by Ken Aldred