• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st Lois Lane Cover? Action Comics #29? I don't think so.

45 posts in this topic

On 6/1/2022 at 7:56 PM, SuperBird said:

Jeezus. CGC did not mess up. 29 has long been considered her 1st cover appearance, via Overstreet. And is valued as the 1st appearance. 

27 obviously looks like her, but this is 100% not a CGC problem. 

Why did they change it to #27 then? I am asking seriously. One of the seller's believes it is still CGC's current position that #29 is the 1st LL cover. Here is their response: 

"Hello, don't know much about this specific book, but I did hear there was some debate on it was really LL on Action 27.  That is the current designation on this book.  If you have any doubts/concern on anything that you are purchasing, you can always hold off on the purchase.  Thanks."

Here is one seller's response. It seems they believe that CGC's current position is that #29 is the 1st LL cover. Here it is: 

"Hello, don't know much about this specific book, but I did hear there was some debate on it was really LL on Action 27.  That is the current designation on this book.  If you have any doubts/concern on anything that you are purchasing, you can always hold off on the purchase.  Thanks."

If there was a lion in the Action Comics #27 story, then we would know that's Lois Lane on the cover.  But there isn't. 

The cover of Action Comics #27 doesn't match the story inside Action Comics #27, so we have a lady-who-looks-like-Lois on the cover of Action Comics #27 and no confirmation that it is her inside the book.

It's probably her.  But the story in Action #27 doesn't prove it.

The cover of Action Comics #29 shows Lois being rescued from the bad guys who kidnapped her, and it's definitely her because of the story inside Action #29.

On 6/1/2022 at 8:23 PM, O Doyle Rules said:

Here is one seller's response. It seems they believe that CGC's current position is that #29 is the 1st LL cover. Here it is: 

Ask the seller to do a cert lookup on his own book.  It should have the corrected verbiage on it not the incorrect.  What is initially put on the label is pulled from the census database at that time, so after the fix is in place all verification attempts should show the correct data as updated in the database.  Here is the three examples provided in the thread.

image.png.0763b8ac9f039ee1eafd67c460893997.pngimage.thumb.png.49cda7c5e6e0eaf51130534fd7bfb8be.png

image.png.52ad65f65dc0f6523524436996fa14ee.png

Notice both the issue 29s no longer show Key Comments but the 27 does.

On 6/2/2022 at 12:43 PM, valiantman said:

If there was a lion in the Action Comics #27 story, then we would know that's Lois Lane on the cover.  But there isn't. 

The cover of Action Comics #27 doesn't match the story inside Action Comics #27, so we have a lady-who-looks-like-Lois on the cover of Action Comics #27 and no confirmation that it is her inside the book.

It's probably her.  But the story in Action #27 doesn't prove it.

The cover of Action Comics #29 shows Lois being rescued from the bad guys who kidnapped her, and it's definitely her because of the story inside Action #29.

I have not read AC27, but "DC Fandom" claims that Lois Lane is a supporting character in The Brentwood Rehabilitation Home story. Is she not mentioned by name at all?

I have the Golden Age collections at home and can confirm this one way or another if no one else is sure.

On 6/2/2022 at 12:07 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I have not read AC27, but "DC Fandom" claims that Lois Lane is a supporting character in The Brentwood Rehabilitation Home story. Is she not mentioned by name at all?

I have the Golden Age collections at home and can confirm this one way or another if no one else is sure.

Lois is in the pages of Action Comics #27, but there isn't a lion in the story. The cover of Action Comics #27 with Superman saving a woman (who looks like Lois) from a lion doesn't happen in the book. 

Superman has saved other women on the cover before (Action Comics #23, #24), but they weren't Lois.

Is that Lois on the cover of Action Comics #27?  Probably... but not proven.

Lois first appears in the pages of Action Comics #1, so there's no question about her first appearance.  It's hard to prove Action Comics #27 is the first cover for Lois, since the story doesn't show that scene.

On 6/2/2022 at 1:40 PM, valiantman said:

Lois is in the pages of Action Comics #27, but there isn't a lion in the story. The cover of Action Comics #27 with Superman saving a woman (who looks like Lois) from a lion doesn't happen in the book. 

Superman has saved other women on the cover before (Action Comics #23, #24), but they weren't Lois.

Is that Lois on the cover of Action Comics #27?  Probably... but not proven.

Lois first appears in the pages of Action Comics #1, so there's no question about her first appearance.  It's hard to prove Action Comics #27 is the first cover for Lois, since the story doesn't show that scene.

Surely someone out there knows if Cassidy drew her to be Lois Lane? No?

On 6/2/2022 at 12:43 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Surely someone out there knows if Cassidy drew her to be Lois Lane? No?

Well, she's wearing the same dress as Lois in the story of Action Comics #27.

She's sitting beside a cage, and Lois is put in a cage in the story of Action Comics #27.

Superman is handling a lion to protect the lady, and Superman handles a wild dog to protect Lois in the story of Action Comics #27.

It seems likely that the artist made the cover "more exciting" by trading the dog for a lion and made the cage(s) part of a circus instead of the bad guy's cage in a basement, and it's likely that is Lois... but it's conjecture, not a perfect match to the story.

Edited by valiantman

On 6/2/2022 at 1:49 PM, valiantman said:

Well, she's wearing the same dress as Lois in the story of Action Comics #27.

She's sitting beside a cage, and Lois is put in a cage in the story of Action Comics #27.

Superman is handling a lion to protect the lady, and Superman handles a wild dog to protect Lois in the story of Action Comics #27.

It seems likely that the artist made the cover "more exciting" by trading the dog for a lion and made the cage(s) part of a circus instead of the bad guy's cage in a basement, and it's likely that is Lois... but it's conjecture, not a perfect match to the story.

Def agree with it all matching with 27.

Is there any matching with 29?  I am not seeing a car rescue or Lois wearing a yellow dress in it at all.

On 6/2/2022 at 1:53 PM, Crops068 said:

Def agree with it all matching with 27.

Is there any matching with 29?  I am not seeing a car rescue or Lois wearing a yellow dress in it at all.

Same as the story: The bad guys tie up Lois and put a gag over her mouth.  Superman rescues her and carries her to the Daily Planet rooftop.  The bad guys drive the green sedan.  Lois is taken at gunpoint (again), and taken away in the green car.

Differences:  Lois is in a striped dress in the story.  The bad guys drive a green sedan convertible on the cover.

The cover of Action #29 is a mashup of scenes from the Action #29 story, with the differences mentioned above.

Who else would she be, if not Lois Lane?

Did Superman have a brief pre-Lois fling with some random chick who coincidentally looked exactly like Lois Lane?

Maybe he chose Lois in the first place because she reminded his lonely heart of Miss Jenkins from #27...?

On 6/2/2022 at 2:49 PM, valiantman said:

...but it's conjecture, not a perfect match to the story.

I'm not sure why we would see it necessary to rebuke the logical conclusion, though. Especially by today's standards where many comic covers do not match what is occurring in the story, while most of this issue (#27) lines up.

She's also wearing the same dress as in AC29. I just don't see how #27 isn't her first cover appearance. I have no skin in the game, I'm just trying to look at what makes sense.

On 6/2/2022 at 12:53 PM, Crops068 said:

Ask the seller to do a cert lookup on his own book.  It should have the corrected verbiage on it not the incorrect.  What is initially put on the label is pulled from the census database at that time, so after the fix is in place all verification attempts should show the correct data as updated in the database.  Here is the three examples provided in the thread.

Thank you for your research and for all the thoughtful discussion that has since followed in this thread. I have forwarded this information to seller who is quite reputable. The 2nd seller had not yet responded. 

Ran a history of sales of both books on GPA. It appears the #29 has been more valued over time than the #27. Wonder how this impacts values going forward? 

#27 on GPA

--
--
--
--
$5400Dec 2013

--
--
--
--
$2700Dec 2012

$24001