• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Masterworks
2 2

52 posts in this topic

On 7/12/2022 at 12:24 AM, WernerVonDoom said:

I did quite of a bit of research on these back in the day:

Gold Foil First Prints #1 to #27

Gold Foil Second Prints #1 to #8

Gold Foil Third Prints #1 to #4

Gold Foil Fourth Prints #1 to #3

Gold Foil Fifth Print #1

Gold Foil Limited Edition #1 to Current

ComicCraft #1-#4, #18, #19, #29-#32

Re-Masterworks Silver # on Black #1, #3-#6, #33

Re-Masterworks Black # on Silver #1 to Current

UK Slipcase #1

This wany many years ago, so there are probably even more reprints out there now.  If anyone is interested, I also did descriptions of how to tell each print apart - I'd have to dig through my files though. 

That's great, thanks so much for sharing! And yes, whenever it's convenient, would love to see your research. More information is always good to have!

On 7/12/2022 at 6:06 AM, F For Fake said:

That's great, thanks so much for sharing! And yes, whenever it's convenient, would love to see your research. More information is always good to have!

This is as far as I got. I compared the differences in the X-Men printings:

First Printing

1. Marble: Looks washed out compared to printings 2-4.

2. Bottom Front Cover Line 1: “X-Men Nos. 1-10” (Printings 2-4 say “The X-Men…”)

3. Bottom Front Cover Line 2: “by Stan Lee & Jack Kirby” (2003 limited editions have the word “by” in capitals).

4. Spine: “X-Men” on top. “Marvel Masterworks” on bottom.

5. Bottom Back Cover:  In celebration of our 25th anniversary, Marvel Comics proudly presents a series of hardcover productions of the crème de la crème of our early days. This volume contains the first adventures of The X-Men. The Marvel saga continues in its companion volumes: Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four.  ‘Nuff Said!”

6. Cover Price: ??? (my copy is in shrink wrap)

7. Acknowledgements Page:  I assume that it says nothing about printings or editions.

Second Printing

1. Marble: Light brown

2. Foil: The foil on my copy is missing the curl under Daredevil’s right fist, showing white underneath. This may or may not be on all 2nd printings, if it is, it may be the best way to tell a second printing from a third printing while still in the shrink wrap.

3. Bottom Front Cover Line 1: “The X-Men Nos. 1-10”

4. Bottom Front Cover Line 2: “by Stan Lee & Jack Kirby

5. Spine: “Marvel Masterworks” on top. “The X-Men” on bottom.

6. Bottom Back Cover: “Marvel Comics is proud to present a series of hardcover reproductions of the crème de la crème of our early days. This volume contains the first adventures of the X-Men. The saga continues in its companion volumes to bring you the full scope of the Marvel universe.  ‘Nuff Said!”

7. Cover Price: $29.95 on inside of dust jacket.

8. Acknowledgements Page: Says “Second Edition” near the bottom. Does not list a printing.

Third Printing:

1. Marble/Font: Light brown, but tinted slightly more reddish than the second printing (on mine, might not be the same on all).

2. Foil: Has the Daredevil curl.

6. Bottom Back Cover: Same as second printing.

7. Cover Price: $34.95 on inside of dust jacket.

8. Acknowledgements Page: Says “Second Edition” near the bottom. Also says “Third Printing”.

Fourth Printing:

1. Marble: Contrast is high compared to other printings. Specks in the marble really stand out.

5. Spine: Does not have the volume number. “Marvel Masterworks” on top. “The X-Men” on bottom.

6. Bottom Back Cover: Same as second printing and third printings, but also says where the book was printed.

7. Cover Price: ?? (my copy is in shrink wrap)

8. Acknowledgements Page: ??

On 7/12/2022 at 10:30 PM, WernerVonDoom said:

This is as far as I got. I compared the differences in the X-Men printings:

First Printing

1. Marble: Looks washed out compared to printings 2-4.

2. Bottom Front Cover Line 1: “X-Men Nos. 1-10” (Printings 2-4 say “The X-Men…”)

3. Bottom Front Cover Line 2: “by Stan Lee & Jack Kirby” (2003 limited editions have the word “by” in capitals).

4. Spine: “X-Men” on top. “Marvel Masterworks” on bottom.

5. Bottom Back Cover:  In celebration of our 25th anniversary, Marvel Comics proudly presents a series of hardcover productions of the crème de la crème of our early days. This volume contains the first adventures of The X-Men. The Marvel saga continues in its companion volumes: Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four.  ‘Nuff Said!”

6. Cover Price: ??? (my copy is in shrink wrap)

7. Acknowledgements Page:  I assume that it says nothing about printings or editions.

Second Printing

1. Marble: Light brown

2. Foil: The foil on my copy is missing the curl under Daredevil’s right fist, showing white underneath. This may or may not be on all 2nd printings, if it is, it may be the best way to tell a second printing from a third printing while still in the shrink wrap.

6. Bottom Back Cover: “Marvel Comics is proud to present a series of hardcover reproductions of the crème de la crème of our early days. This volume contains the first adventures of the X-Men. The saga continues in its companion volumes to bring you the full scope of the Marvel universe.  ‘Nuff Said!”

7. Cover Price: $29.95 on inside of dust jacket.

8. Acknowledgements Page: Says “Second Edition” near the bottom. Does not list a printing.

Third Printing:

1. Marble/Font: Light brown, but tinted slightly more reddish than the second printing (on mine, might not be the same on all).

6. Bottom Back Cover: Same as second printing.

7. Cover Price: $34.95 on inside of dust jacket.

8. Acknowledgements Page: Says “Second Edition” near the bottom. Also says “Third Printing”.

Fourth Printing:

1. Marble: Contrast is high compared to other printings. Specks in the marble really stand out.

5. Spine: Does not have the volume number. “Marvel Masterworks” on top. “The X-Men” on bottom.

6. Bottom Back Cover: Same as second printing and third printings, but also says where the book was printed.

7. Cover Price: ?? (my copy is in shrink wrap)

8. Acknowledgements Page: ??

Wow, that's great, thanks so much for sharing. Going to save a copy of this info to my Notes app for when I'm out and about!

On 7/11/2022 at 11:22 AM, F For Fake said:

I posted this over in the HC thread in CG, but thought it was germane to this thread as well.

Wow, Omar broke some big news yesterday: Marvel is going to reprint their Marvel Masterworks line, starting in 2023. They've announced the first 8 volumes, which are in the same order as the original 8 volumes. These will be new remasters, so it should be the best presentation of the material to date. 

What's VERY interesting to me is that they are apparently going to issue each book in both the now standard black/silver dress, as well as re-issue the "variant" covers (which originally were the only covers, before the line was rebooted, but I digress.)

Anyway, this will presumably affect values on original printings. Now, to be fair, the first 27 volumes are very common and not expensive, so even if they're releasing a volume each month (which looks to be the case) it's still going to be at least a couple of years before they start getting into the volumes which currently enjoy a high resale value. 

It's also not clear just how far they're going to continue the line, though common sense would dictate that they'll keep releasing new ones as long as they're selling well.

SO...yeah. Great news if you ever wanted to get in on the ground floor of this 30+ year reprint exercise, but if you're someone who is holding onto those harder to find volumes due to their value, you've got some food for thought. Personally, I'm looking forward to plugging in some big gaps in my collection, and am giving some thought to selling off some omnis in favor of the Masterworks, which are nicer books, and much easier to read.

Nuts. All the premiums I payed for those hard to find titles. Argg.  I wonder if the jackets will be 100% identical to at least match the existing holes. There were some Daredevil bronze duds I never picked up because they covered them in an epic. MMWs were out of this world prices.  Wonder how long they will take to hit the bronze age? 

On 7/15/2022 at 2:36 PM, bronze_rules said:

Nuts. All the premiums I payed for those hard to find titles. Argg.  I wonder if the jackets will be 100% identical to at least match the existing holes. There were some Daredevil bronze duds I never picked up because they covered them in an epic. MMWs were out of this world prices.  Wonder how long they will take to hit the bronze age? 

Well, to be fair, they’ve only announced the first few in the line, so I wouldn’t start regretting the purchases just yet! The way publishing is these days, nothing is guaranteed. They may eventually reprint them all, but at the rate of 1 per month, it’ll still take many, many years to get to everything. Like 25+, to get to where we’re at now, at that rate. To get to the bronze books…5 years? 10? It’s going to be a while! In the meantime, you’ve already got those sweet, sweet books in hand!

Of course nothing has been officially solicited yet, so we don’t know exactly what the new covers will look like. I’m assuming they’ll be nearly identical to the originals, but there will probably be some tells, likely the cover price for one, that will make it easier to differentiate the printings. I’d hope the spine dress would remain the same so that our bookshelves will be uniform, but given what Marvel did with the Omni spines, who knows. Hoping for the best!

On 8/2/2022 at 4:05 PM, Hepcat said:

Is the Marvelmasterworks discussion forum still in operation or has that been closed?

???

It is still there, though I think they changed servers or what have you a while back. They're under Tapatalk now. See if this link works for ya!

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/marvelmasterworksfansite/masterworks-message-board-f1/

I'm getting caught up on my internetting, and just saw that Cory Sedlmeier (the restoration king over at Marvel's collected editions dept) did an interview with Marvelmasterworks a week or two ago. In that interview. he stressed that with these Back to Print Masterworks, it's important to PREORDER. He mentioned it several times. So, clearly, Marvel is going to be watching the numbers on these closely, nothing is guaranteed with this new line, and if you want to see it continue, you need to indicate it with orders upfront.

What bugs me is that they're doing the line in numerical order, which means the most common volumes are going to get reprinted first. There are so many editions available of those first 27 books, they are common as dirt, and also dirt cheap. There are many early volumes you can get for under $20, if you're not worried about having the most recent restoration. So, as far as reprints go, even with new restoration, it might be a hard sell for some people, and that may be reflected in low initial orders, which could prove premature doom to the reprint line.

I really wish they'd jump around a bit and reprint some of the later books which are selling for hundreds of bucks. If you want a copy of FF vol 1, or ASM 1, etc, you can get those for well below cover price. But if you want an UXM volume 12, well, that's gonna run you over $200+ on the market today. If you want to wait for the reprint, well, you're looking at many, many years before they get there.

Oh well, it is what it is, and something is better than nothing. I'll be picking these up, as I sold my early books off when the omnis started hitting. I really enjoyed the "all in one" aspect of the omnis, but there's no question that the MMW's are a better reading experience, so that coupled with the newer restorations, means I'll be buying all of these that they print, i suppose.

On 8/23/2022 at 1:59 PM, F For Fake said:

I'm getting caught up on my internetting, and just saw that Cory Sedlmeier (the restoration king over at Marvel's collected editions dept) did an interview with Marvelmasterworks a week or two ago. In that interview. he stressed that with these Back to Print Masterworks, it's important to PREORDER. He mentioned it several times. So, clearly, Marvel is going to be watching the numbers on these closely, nothing is guaranteed with this new line, and if you want to see it continue, you need to indicate it with orders upfront.

What bugs me is that they're doing the line in numerical order, which means the most common volumes are going to get reprinted first. There are so many editions available of those first 27 books, they are common as dirt, and also dirt cheap. There are many early volumes you can get for under $20, if you're not worried about having the most recent restoration. So, as far as reprints go, even with new restoration, it might be a hard sell for some people, and that may be reflected in low initial orders, which could prove premature doom to the reprint line.

I really wish they'd jump around a bit and reprint some of the later books which are selling for hundreds of bucks. If you want a copy of FF vol 1, or ASM 1, etc, you can get those for well below cover price. But if you want an UXM volume 12, well, that's gonna run you over $200+ on the market today. If you want to wait for the reprint, well, you're looking at many, many years before they get there.

Oh well, it is what it is, and something is better than nothing. I'll be picking these up, as I sold my early books off when the omnis started hitting. I really enjoyed the "all in one" aspect of the omnis, but there's no question that the MMW's are a better reading experience, so that coupled with the newer restorations, means I'll be buying all of these that they print, i suppose.

Since there are no price guides for Marvel Masterworks (at least as I can find) and they are not on GPA, it seems like a good idea if we make one ourselves. Any interest?

On 8/23/2022 at 9:13 PM, WernerVonDoom said:

Since there are no price guides for Marvel Masterworks (at least as I can find) and they are not on GPA, it seems like a good idea if we make one ourselves. Any interest?

Sure. Lets price the ones I have at $100 each and the ones I need at $10.  Isn't that how Bob did it?

On 8/24/2022 at 12:13 AM, WernerVonDoom said:

Sounds fun to me! This week is peak busy time at my job, but next week I could probably start hammering something together. Maybe I could put together a google sheet we could all share and edit? Do an average of closed eBay sales, something like that? 

On 8/24/2022 at 10:53 AM, F For Fake said:

Sounds fun to me! This week is peak busy time at my job, but next week I could probably start hammering something together. Maybe I could put together a google sheet we could all share and edit? Do an average of closed eBay sales, something like that? 

Don't we need a poll?

On 8/24/2022 at 1:55 PM, shadroch said:

Don't we need a poll?

Hmm, polls seem official, I was planning on half-assing this.

On 8/24/2022 at 11:00 AM, F For Fake said:

Hmm, polls seem official, I was planning on half-assing this.

Favor favors the bold.  A mule is a horse designed by committee.

Edited by shadroch

On 8/24/2022 at 2:08 PM, shadroch said:

Favor favors the bold.  A mule is a horse designed by committee.

Fine. First a poll to decide if we need a poll, THEN, if the poll is in the affirmative, a poll to decide what the poll should be about exactly.

I DO like the price guide idea, though. If @WernerVonDoomor you, Shad, or anyone else, wants to work on it, I could start putting something together next week. Or if someone else wants to run the show, and get started faster than that, that's cool too, I'll be happy to assist in any way that I can.

On 8/24/2022 at 11:15 AM, F For Fake said:

Fine. First a poll to decide if we need a poll, THEN, if the poll is in the affirmative, a poll to decide what the poll should be about exactly.

I DO like the price guide idea, though. If @WernerVonDoomor you, Shad, or anyone else, wants to work on it, I could start putting something together next week. Or if someone else wants to run the show, and get started faster than that, that's cool too, I'll be happy to assist in any way that I can.

Maybe first step is working on a list of all the Masterworks. I can start on that.

Here are the first 10. This is from a few years ago so there may be later printings. We'll have to research and add them in later. If the format looks good to you all, I'll keep going:

Amazing Spider-Man V1 O1; 1st Print Gold Foil; Amazing Fantasy 15, Amazing Spider-Man 1-10

Amazing Spider-Man V1 O1; 2nd Print Gold Foil; Amazing Fantasy 15, Amazing Spider-Man 1-10

Amazing Spider-Man V1 O1; 3rd Print Gold Foil; Amazing Fantasy 15, Amazing Spider-Man 1-10

Amazing Spider-Man V1 O1; 4th Print Gold Foil; Amazing Fantasy 15, Amazing Spider-Man 1-10

Amazing Spider-Man V1 O1; 5th Print Gold Foil; Amazing Fantasy 15, Amazing Spider-Man 1-10

Amazing Spider-Man V1 O1; Limited Gold Foil; Amazing Fantasy 15, Amazing Spider-Man 1-10

Amazing Spider-Man V1 O1; ComiCraft; Amazing Fantasy 15, Amazing Spider-Man 1-10

Amazing Spider-Man V1 O1; Re-Masterworks Silver # on Black; Amazing Fantasy 15, Amazing Spider-Man 1-10

Amazing Spider-Man V1 O1; Re-Masterworks Black # on Silver; Amazing Fantasy 15, Amazing Spider-Man 1-10

Amazing Spider-Man V1 O1; UK Slipcase; Amazing Fantasy 15, Amazing Spider-Man 1-10

Fantastic Four V1 O2; 1st Print Gold Foil; Fantastic Four 1-10

Fantastic Four V1 O2; 2nd Print Gold Foil; Fantastic Four 1-10

Fantastic Four V1 O2; 3rd Print Gold Foil; Fantastic Four 1-10

Fantastic Four V1 O2; 4th Print Gold Foil; Fantastic Four 1-10

Fantastic Four V1 O2; Limited Gold Foil; Fantastic Four 1-10

Fantastic Four V1 O2; ComiCraft; Fantastic Four 1-10

Fantastic Four V1 O2; Re-Masterworks Black # on Silver; Fantastic Four 1-10

X-Men V1 O3; 1st Print Gold Foil; X-Men 1-10

X-Men V1 O3; 2nd Print Gold Foil; X-Men 1-10

X-Men V1 O3; 3rd Print Gold Foil; X-Men 1-10

X-Men V1 O3; 4th Print Gold Foil; X-Men 1-10

X-Men V1 O3; Limited Gold Foil; X-Men 1-10

X-Men V1 O3; ComiCraft; X-Men 1-10

X-Men V1 O3; Re-Masterworks Silver # on Black; X-Men 1-10

X-Men V1 O3; Re-Masterworks Black # on Silver; X-Men 1-10

Avengers V1 O4; 1st Print Gold Foil; Avengers 1-10

Avengers V1 O4; 2nd Print Gold Foil; Avengers 1-10

Avengers V1 O4; 3rd Print Gold Foil; Avengers 1-10

Avengers V1 O4; Limited Gold Foil; Avengers 1-10

Avengers V1 O4; ComiCraft; Avengers 1-10

Avengers V1 O4; Re-Masterworks Silver # on Black; Avengers 1-10

Avengers V1 O4; Re-Masterworks Black # on Silver; Avengers 1-10

Amazing Spider-Man V2 O5; 1st Print Gold Foil; Amazing Spider-Man 11-20

Amazing Spider-Man V2 O5; 2nd Print Gold Foil; Amazing Spider-Man 11-20

Amazing Spider-Man V2 O5; Limited Gold Foil; Amazing Spider-Man 11-20

Amazing Spider-Man V2 O5; Re-Masterworks Silver # on Black; Amazing Spider-Man 11-20

Amazing Spider-Man V2 O5; Re-Masterworks Black # on Silver; Amazing Spider-Man 11-20

Fantastic Four V2 O6; 1st Print Gold Foil; Fantastic Four 11-20, Ann 1

Fantastic Four V2 O6; 2nd Print Gold Foil; Fantastic Four 11-20, Ann 1

Fantastic Four V2 O6; Limited Gold Foil; Fantastic Four 11-20, Ann 1

Fantastic Four V2 O6; Re-Masterworks Black # on Silver; Fantastic Four 11-20, Ann 1

X-Men V2 O7; 1st Print Gold Foil; X-Men 11-21

X-Men V2 O7; 2nd Print Gold Foil; X-Men 11-21

X-Men V2 O7; Limited Gold Foil; X-Men 11-21

X-Men V2 O7; Re-Masterworks Black # on Silver; X-Men 11-21

Incredible Hulk V1 O8; 1st Print Gold Foil; Incredible Hulk 1-6

Incredible Hulk V1 O8; Limited Gold Foil; Incredible Hulk 1-6

Incredible Hulk V1 O8; Re-Masterworks Black # on Silver; Incredible Hulk 1-6

Avengers V2 O9; 1st Print Gold Foil; Avengers 11-20

Avengers V2 O9; Limited Gold Foil; Avengers 11-20

Avengers V2 O9; Re-Masterworks Black # on Silver; Avengers 11-20

Amazing Spider-Man V3 O10; 1st Print Gold Foil; Amazing Spider-Man 21-30, Ann 1

Amazing Spider-Man V3 O10; Limited Gold Foil; Amazing Spider-Man 21-30, Ann 1

Amazing Spider-Man V3 O10; Re-Masterworks Black # on Silver; Amazing Spider-Man 21-30, Ann 1

Edited by WernerVonDoom

11-20:

Uncanny X-Men V1 O11; 1st Print Gold Foil; Uncanny X-Men 94-100, Giant-Size X-Men 1

Uncanny X-Men V1 O11; Limited Gold Foil; Uncanny X-Men 94-100, Giant-Size X-Men 1

Uncanny X-Men V1 O11; Re-Masterworks Black # on Silver; Uncanny X-Men 94-100, Giant-Size X-Men 1

Uncanny X-Men V2 O12; 1st Print Gold Foil; Uncanny X-Men 101-110

Uncanny X-Men V2 O12; Limited Gold Foil; Uncanny X-Men 101-110

Uncanny X-Men V2 O12; Re-Masterworks Black # on Silver; Uncanny X-Men 101-110

Fantastic Four V3 O13; 1st Print Gold Foil; Fantastic Four 21-30, Ann 1

Fantastic Four V3 O13; Limited Gold Foil; Fantastic Four 21-30, Ann 1

Fantastic Four V3 O13; Re-Masterworks Black # on Silver; Fantastic Four 21-30, Ann 1

Captain America V1 O14; 1st Print Gold Foil; Tales of Suspense 59-81

Captain America V1 O14; Limited Gold Foil; Tales of Suspense 59-81

Captain America V1 O14; Re-Masterworks Black # on Silver; Tales of Suspense 59-81

Silver Surfer V1 O15; 1st Print Gold Foil; Silver Surfer 1-6, Fantastic Four Ann 5

Silver Surfer V1 O15; Limited Gold Foil; Silver Surfer 1-6, Fantastic Four Ann 5

Silver Surfer V1 O15; Re-Masterworks Black # on Silver; Silver Surfer 1-6, Fantastic Four Ann 5

Amazing Spider-Man V4 O16; 1st Print Gold Foil; Amazing Spider-Man 31-40, Ann 2

Amazing Spider-Man V4 O16; Limited Gold Foil; Amazing Spider-Man 31-40, Ann 2

Amazing Spider-Man V4 O16; Re-Masterworks Black # on Silver; Amazing Spider-Man 31-40, Ann 2

Daredevil V1 O17; 1st Print Gold Foil; Daredevil 1-11

Daredevil V1 O17; Limited Gold Foil; Daredevil 1-11

Daredevil V1 O17; ComiCraft; Daredevil 1-11

Daredevil V1 O17; Re-Masterworks Black # on Silver; Daredevil 1-11

Thor V1 O18; 1st Print Gold Foil; Journey Into Mystery 83-100

Thor V1 O18; Limited Gold Foil; Journey Into Mystery 83-100

Thor V1 O18; ComiCraft Foil; Journey Into Mystery 83-100

Thor V1 O18; Re-Masterworks Black # on Silver; Journey Into Mystery 83-100

Silver Surfer V2 O19; 1st Print Gold Foil; Silver Surfer 7-18

Silver Surfer V2 O19; Limited Gold Foil; Silver Surfer 7-18

Silver Surfer V2 O19; Re-Masterworks Black # on Silver; Silver Surfer 7-18

Iron Man V1 O20; 1st Print Gold Foil; Tales of Suspense 39-50