• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MyComicShop Resolved My Issue - Thanks!
1 1

19 posts in this topic

Yikes. Unpacked my $2400 raw book from MCS - which was double-boxed nicely, only to find that the person who packed the inner box rammed a wad of kraft paper padding right onto the book (which was resting face down on another wad of kraft paper - so naturally, pushing hard against a book on an uneven surface is going to cause damage - something avoided if a person took care in packing the book), creasing the book and the board, and breaking the Mylite to the point it actually had pieces of plastic inside the bag.

Leaving aside the damage, I think I was most incensed over the fact that a) it's an expensive book, b) it was on consignment and c) it reflects pretty poorly that MCS handles other people's property without much care to the value. And why would they? It's not their book so who cares! Right?

And yeah, I have an email in. Not much can be done on damage to a .5 - but like I said, it's not about the damage (of which there is little) it's about the principal of the matter. I understand online raging is not always the route to take, and I wouldn't bother making a thread over damage to a low-grade $50 book, but this is a little different. I've taken more care packaging a $30 record, I expect the same of a "professional" selling a $2400 book.

IMG_8365.jpg

IMG_8366.jpg

Edited by Dr. Balls
MCS customer service reached out

On 6/6/2022 at 7:39 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Yikes. Unpacked my $2400 raw book from MCS - which was double-boxed nicely, only to find that the person who packed the inner box rammed a wad of kraft paper padding right onto the book (which was resting face down on another wad of kraft paper - so naturally, pushing hard against a book on an uneven surface is going to cause damage - something avoided if a person took care in packing the book), creasing the book and the board, and breaking the Mylite to the point it actually had pieces of plastic inside the bag.

Leaving aside the damage, I think I was most incensed over the fact that a) it's an expensive book, b) it was on consignment and c) it reflects pretty poorly that MCS handles other people's property without much care to the value. And why would they? It's not their book so who cares! Right?

And yeah, I have an email in. Not much can be done on damage to a .5 - but like I said, it's not about the damage (of which there is little) it's about the principal of the matter. I understand online raging is not always the route to take, and I wouldn't bother making a thread over damage to a low-grade $50 book, but this is a little different. I've taken more care packaging a $30 record, I expect the same of a "professional" selling a $2400 book.

IMG_8365.jpg

IMG_8366.jpg

Jason, do you have any pictures of the packaging? MCS has always expertly packed my books so I'm curious how this one differed from their usual practices.

On 6/7/2022 at 4:33 AM, Ryan. said:

Jason, do you have any pictures of the packaging? MCS has always expertly packed my books so I'm curious how this one differed from their usual practices.

I don’t - the damage was the last thing to be revealed when unpacking. They clearly put a lot of expense into their boxes - it was impressive with the corner protectors, etc. but when you finally got inside to the raw book was where it happened.

Not much can be done on damage to a .5 - but like I said, it's not about the damage (of which there is little) it's about the principal of the matter.

On 6/7/2022 at 8:43 AM, MadGenius said:

Serious question. Given the book was already graded 0.5, does the damage impact the grade at all? Hard to get any lower than that, right?

In this case, it seems like there was little-to-no additional damage done, but the problem is that a relatively high-dollar purchase was packaged surprisingly poorly.  MCS needs to determine how and why this happened so it doesn't happen to a high-grade raw (which it seems like is occurring, so +1 to MCS customer service).

On 6/6/2022 at 11:33 PM, Domo Arigato said:

Cool book....but I had no idea that it was a $2,400 book in 0.5 condition. 

Looks like I'll have to stick with After School Detention Girl. :boo:

Hey, you remember when that girl was prom queen? Oh wow...  

MSC is a champion of the packing but the ONLY one thing I hate is the tape that is used for the comic book bags and packing bags.  It's very hard to pull it off the bag.  It's very bad for the comic books while the tape is being removed off the bag that can damage the book in the process.  Accidents can happen, the tape will damage the cover.

@mycomicshop  Please consider using the different tape that can be lessen the damage and is easy to be removed.

It doesn't really apply in this case - given the grade, the value of the book likely doesn't change and it doesn't sound like you are sending it back - but in general, I believe they DO care. And not just because I think they are a pretty good company who cares about these things, but in a practical sense. My understanding is that their position is that at the point a consignment book is sold, it's now MCS's book - that is to say, if there are problems, with a return or whatever, MCS is the one to deal with it, it doesn't go back to the consigner to deal with.

@mycomicshop can confirm, but I think that's the policy that's been stated before.

On 6/7/2022 at 2:39 AM, Dr. Balls said:

IMG_8365.jpg

IMG_8366.jpg

Thank you for sharing this information and your experience. I am currently writing research at the university on this topic and your recommendations and books you have written about will be very useful to me. I always try to check plagiarism and for this I use a resource https://fixgerald.com/ that will not only be able to detect the presence of plagiarism in my work, but also to correct grammatical errors.

Edited by Valentino Long