• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Never seen this before: CGC graded AD&D module
1 1

64 posts in this topic

It's a good one to own but the price is multiples of what it's worth and the condition is unremarkable. I've got quite a few high grade modules and I will likely grade a few. I've been hoping CGC would start this.

Edited by Rip

On 6/14/2022 at 8:54 PM, jharvey said:

I ran across this on Ebay. A CGC graded AD&D module. I had no idea they would grade these.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284854856625?hash=item4252ac2bb1:g:RGEAAOSwhfJiqAls

s-l1600 (11).jpg

Let me check his odds for selling at that price.... Mmmm he rolled a 1.

On 6/14/2022 at 6:38 AM, JEFFROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO said:

It's yet another new revenue stream so why not grade them?

All I can say is I hope they have someone on the grading team who is an expert in TSR products. 

Indeed, because there are some modules that are a real bag of cats as far as identifying the correct print state. To say nothing of wondering how they would break out, say, the various versions of first-printing copies of C2 (numbered, tournament DM, TSR Staff copies, and Allen Hammack's designer copies). Or what they'd do with Jade Hare, where 99% of copies were shipped coverless! I assume that CGC would decline to authenticate some things, like the R-series pre-pub copies or Quest for Fazzleood. But of course, the real concern is how they'd ensure that there aren't swapped out pages or other shenanigans.

As for the ebay listing linked here, um, good luck getting $500 for that. Condition entirely notwithstanding, the 5th printing isn't a particularly rare or desirable version of S1. The choice picks are the monochrome prints (not counting the anniversary reprint they screwed up and didn't label as an anniversary reprint...), especially the actual first printing (with no prices on the back cover product list). But the trick with S1 1st-3rd prints is that they were actually two separate booklets for module text and illustrations, and I have absolutely no clue how CGC would handle that.

On 6/14/2022 at 9:08 AM, KEY ISSUES Comics said:

Cool. But , as this will drive up prices. I just want copies to read/use. Slabbing everything is kind of ruining all of my hobbies...

Prices on AD&D/D&D stuff has been going through the roof for a few years now. Unless it's something ultra high grade or in shrinkwrap I can't imagine slabbing having much of dramatic effect on mid to lower grade TSR products.

If you just want to read/use, it will be more economical to buy the PDFs on Drivethrurpg.com

Edited by JEFFROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

On 6/14/2022 at 11:10 AM, JEFFROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO said:

Prices on AD&D/D&D stuff has been going through the roof for a few years now. Unless it's something ultra high grade or in shrinkwrap I can't imagine slabbing having much of dramatic effect on mid to lower grade TSR products.

If you just want to read/use, it will be more economical to buy the PDFs on Drivethrurpg.com

loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

Do they even have a character limit on usernames?

On 6/14/2022 at 11:16 AM, DavidTheDavid said:

loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

Do they even have a character limit on usernames?

Probably Jeffro(o------------------------o)o turned to a werewolf while he changed his username.