• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Never seen this before: CGC graded AD&D module
1 1

64 posts in this topic

Never really occurred to me that you'd get these graded, but sure, why not. Especially for a sealed example unless you plan to open it -- might as well slab it if that's your thing. The questions of grading and validating all the details will be an interesting thing to watch. Were these all wrapped similarly, etc? I have 15-20 sealed modules, but not sure I'd ever grade 'em.

On 6/16/2022 at 2:50 PM, yecul said:

Never really occurred to me that you'd get these graded, but sure, why not. Especially for a sealed example unless you plan to open it -- might as well slab it if that's your thing. The questions of grading and validating all the details will be an interesting thing to watch. Were these all wrapped similarly, etc? I have 15-20 sealed modules, but not sure I'd ever grade 'em.

No. In fact, some of the rarest module variations that had vaguely-normal public releases are the "hanger modules", which have a cardboard hangtab header attached (usually glued, but I think one version is stapled) to the top of the outside of the shrinkwrap. Obviously, those shouldn't be unsealed or slabbed because it is only the header that distinguishes them from the normal version. They're pretty much the module equivalent of Whitmans or DC Universe printings, though. Almost literally so, since they were sold (mostly) at Toys R Us. They're, um, rather strenuously rare.

Otherwise, AFAIK, shrinkwrapping is indistinguishable across the product line. I wouldn't break wrap to get modules slabbed because, at least right now, the "SW" grade is a bigger cachet in the module collecting community than encapsulation. It'll be interesting to see if that holds true 5 or 10 years down the line.

On 6/16/2022 at 3:55 PM, Qalyar said:

Otherwise, AFAIK, shrinkwrapping is indistinguishable across the product line. I wouldn't break wrap to get modules slabbed because, at least right now, the "SW" grade is a bigger cachet in the module collecting community than encapsulation. It'll be interesting to see if that holds true 5 or 10 years down the line.

Would CGC not grade a SW book and consider it sealed, similar to video games? Or do you feel CGC would not grade it due to inability to verify the seal was original?

On 6/16/2022 at 3:42 PM, yecul said:

Would CGC not grade a SW book and consider it sealed, similar to video games? Or do you feel CGC would not grade it due to inability to verify the seal was original?

Unlike video game grading authorities, CGC does not encapsulate sealed products.

On 6/16/2022 at 4:43 PM, Qalyar said:

Unlike video game grading authorities, CGC does not encapsulate sealed products.

Well, CGC is opening up both video game and vhs grading arms, so I wonder how married they are to that.   Its pretty dumb that the left hand of their organization won't grade sealed, but the right hand will.   

Regardless of whether or not CGC grades the sealed product, someone will do it at some point if some demand is there.

Edited by Bronty

On 6/16/2022 at 3:48 PM, Bronty said:

Well, CGC is opening up both video game and vhs grading arms, so I wonder how married they are to that.   Its pretty dumb that the left hand of their organization won't grade sealed, but the right hand will.   

Regardless of whether or not CGC grades the sealed product, someone will do it at some point if some demand is there.

If they actually were specializing a branch in module grading, maybe? But currently at least, they're just grading these via their magazine grading program. And the standard for comic and magazine collecting has long been that sealed product is not inherently desirable. In part, unlike video game boxes, that's because most of the polybagging options for comics risk damage to their contents. The shrinkwrapped Power Records stuff is like the banner for that!

So, on one hand, comic/magazine graders don't want sealed product because it prevents proper evaluation of condition. Also, mechanically speaking, it's probably not compatible with the comic/magazine encapsulation process.

The long-term question is going to be whether the module collectors would prefer SW vs. encapsulated (and thus, graded by an authority). So far, that's been SW, and a few graded modules won't move that needle. But who knows what the future holds?

On 6/16/2022 at 3:49 PM, yecul said:

Ah, gotcha, true enough. 

And, since we're doing some sharing in this thread and pics are always fun, here's my sealed modules... 

image.thumb.jpeg.a55bfc2a44fc8af2c30896e0d8078fba.jpeg

And just because I can, what you have here are:

• CM4, CM6, CM7, DL4, DL6, DL10, I8, M2, WG8, WGR3, WGR5, X6: First (and only) printings.
  • Q1: Third or fourth printing. If there is an ISBN on the back cover, bottom left, then it's 3rd. Else, 4th.
  • S1-4: On the back cover, if the TSR address is on Rathmore Road, it's a first printing. If it's 120 Church End, second printing.
  • T1-4: Hoo boy. This is one of the first five printings; after that, they changed to the gold tablet TSR logo. On the back, look for the bar code. If there's an ISBN and a Product Number immediately above it, then it is either a first or second printing; they are indistinguishable on sealed copies. If the PN is inside the bar code, and there is NO ISBN, then it's either a third or fourth printing; they are indistinguishable on sealed copies. If it has no PN, but an ISBN above the bar code, it's a fifth printing.

As far as value goes, none of these are great rarities, although most modules of this era in original shrinkwrap sell quite well. CM7 goes a bit higher than most of these. Your most important modules, value-wise, are WGR5 Iuz the Evil and both superadventuers (S1-4 Realms of Horror and T1-4 Temple of Elemental Evil). In particular, T1-4 is a very popular book. Assuming that it appears sound inside the shrinkwrap, that's conceivably a several hundred dollar module, especially if it's a 1st/2nd printing copy.

On 6/16/2022 at 5:10 PM, Qalyar said:

And just because I can, what you have here are:

• CM4, CM6, CM7, DL4, DL6, DL10, I8, M2, WG8, WGR3, WGR5, X6: First (and only) printings.
  • Q1: Third or fourth printing. If there is an ISBN on the back cover, bottom left, then it's 3rd. Else, 4th.
  • S1-4: On the back cover, if the TSR address is on Rathmore Road, it's a first printing. If it's 120 Church End, second printing.
  • T1-4: Hoo boy. This is one of the first five printings; after that, they changed to the gold tablet TSR logo. On the back, look for the bar code. If there's an ISBN and a Product Number immediately above it, then it is either a first or second printing; they are indistinguishable on sealed copies. If the PN is inside the bar code, and there is NO ISBN, then it's either a third or fourth printing; they are indistinguishable on sealed copies. If it has no PN, but an ISBN above the bar code, it's a fifth printing.

As far as value goes, none of these are great rarities, although most modules of this era in original shrinkwrap sell quite well. CM7 goes a bit higher than most of these. Your most important modules, value-wise, are WGR5 Iuz the Evil and both superadventuers (S1-4 Realms of Horror and T1-4 Temple of Elemental Evil). In particular, T1-4 is a very popular book. Assuming that it appears sound inside the shrinkwrap, that's conceivably a several hundred dollar module, especially if it's a 1st/2nd printing copy.

Wow, so a tiny bit of knowledge! I will check them. S1-4 is on church, so 2nd and T1-4 looks like a 5th. Barcode has a # and above, outside the barcode box, is the ISBN. Oh well. I have 60-80 open ones (probably on lower end) and hardcovers. Those vintage books and modules are just so classic.

Is any of that documented anywhere or is that all Qalyar-fu?

On 6/16/2022 at 4:20 PM, yecul said:

Wow, so a tiny bit of knowledge! I will check them. S1-4 is on church, so 2nd and T1-4 looks like a 5th. Barcode has a # and above, outside the barcode box, is the ISBN. Oh well. I have 60-80 open ones (probably on lower end) and hardcovers. Those vintage books and modules are just so classic.

Is any of that documented anywhere or is that all Qalyar-fu?

Later printings of (most) modules don't have the stigma of reprint comics, though. I've seen unwrapped T1-4s in nice condition go for over $100, and I'm willing to guess the SW multiplier on that book is probably like 5x or more. I looked, but I can't find any shrinkwrapped T1-4s currently for sale at any of the usual suspects.

As for module info, nothing is a better source of information than The Acaeum.

On 6/14/2022 at 5:10 AM, Stefan_W said:

Very cool!

I dont see any in the Sold Listings. I think this person will have a hard time getting even close to their asking price for it, but who knows. 

i agree, in that grade that module is worth at most $100

Edited by Artboy99