• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My "first" Comic Book-Book

16 posts in this topic

On 6/14/2022 at 4:31 PM, Big Barda said:

Today I bought The Overstreet Comic Book price guide.  In your opinion-how accurate are the prices?

I haven't used the Overstreet guide in four years..the problem is that it only updates once a year and there are many other guides on the internet (for raw and slabbed)that continually update. It's probably accurate for stable/less popular comics but for volatile issues like ASM and X-men (or anything associated with the MCU movies/shows)..I wouldn't use it as a resource (other than knowing that Overstreet is gonna be the bare minimum price)

Edited by Ed Hanes

Well 99% of comics are commons, that are generally worthless, OSPG  can help you identify those.  Conversely you can then use OSPG to identify which are probably worth more, then you can look up the real prices on the internet.

problem is if the comic became a non-common in the last 2-3 years OSPG may not have identified it.

so the usefulness is limited, but some dealers use it so you can still use to profit if you have a better knowledge of true market prices than they do.

I'm sorry but if you have a book saying "hey this comic in this book is worth $20" but I can pull up 20 sales in the past month, all for $5, I am going to offer you $5-10 for the book. I prefer real time data and there are enough apps, websites and ways to find this as quickly as flipping through a 5lb book.

On 6/15/2022 at 9:11 AM, comicginger1789 said:

I'm sorry but if you have a book saying "hey this comic in this book is worth $20" but I can pull up 20 sales in the past month, all for $5, I am going to offer you $5-10 for the book. I prefer real time data and there are enough apps, websites and ways to find this as quickly as flipping through a 5lb book.

I see your point.  Thank you for sharing.

On 7/12/2022 at 10:50 PM, oldmilwaukee6er said:

I like reading it and educating myself. 

For me the value was in the annotations that are now ubiquitous; all the mentions of soti panels and appearances of one character in another's book, etc.

On 6/15/2022 at 6:11 PM, comicginger1789 said:

To be honest, I have never heard of such a book. I saw the thread and went to it out of curiosity. But I love comics, I filter them with regular books. Now, for example, I read just mercy, I use https://freebooksummary.com/category/just-mercy for this. And then I'll read comics, so I'm such a pervert, you can say. I just like both. And by the way, I don’t buy comics, my friend works in this area and provides them to me for free.

There is definitely logic in your words

Edited by rahmams34