• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wham-O Giant Comic Book appreciation thread.
1 1

17 posts in this topic

Anyone have one of these as a kid?  Newspaper sized comic book filled with great stories and puzzles with artists like wally wood.  Made a big impression on me as a kid.
 Kleefeld on Comics: On History: Wham-O Giant Comicshttp://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/6512/558/1600/File1134.jpg

http://majorspoilers.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Wham-OGiant8.jpg

Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do): WHAM-O GIANT COMICS # 1

Boppin' (Like The Hip Folks Do): WHAM-O GIANT COMICS # 1

Screenshot 2022-06-14 10.04.51 PM.png

On 6/15/2022 at 10:28 AM, Robot Man said:

Yeah, it was given to me by my girl friend at the time. Her dad was the founder of Wham-O. She was a cutie. I really blew that one…:roflmao:

incredible.   
I once proposed a water balloon fight shirt to wham-o.  The problem with water balloon fights is the balloon just bounces off and pops on the ground.  I proposed a shirt with plastic pointy mesh that would pop the balloons.  The guy at wham-o said we're not a shirt company.  I replied you weren't a frisbee company either until you started selling frisbees.

My parents picked me up one around 1969 for 50 cents at a discount store.Loved the out of it.Folded it up and took it to school for Show & Tell.Went right over everyone's head.It was truly beat to death & I taped it up with masking tape.Let it go when I sold my collection in early 2000's.Luckily I found a better copy on Ebay for $40.The woman sent it rolled up in a tube.A few years back I saw some adertised for sale from a warehouse find.I had posted a pic here but that was before the great purge & it got lost.If & when I sell out again,I'll keep my Wham-O.

On 6/24/2022 at 1:53 AM, Senormac said:

1108778631_whamogiantjohnnydepp.jpg.0b073c3b36a0f932dd3a112465362dab.jpg

The nice big pages meant he could leave them out on the bed in case Amber had another.... accident.... 

I have a copy somewhere. I remember back in the very early 70s, when I was 10ish, my mom would take me to a LCS/used book store and they had a copy of this under glass in a display cabinet.  I wanted it so badly but it had a $10 price tag.  A lot of money for a comic - even a big one and especially for us.  I think I shed a tear or two :cry:

BTW, that store was awesome although at the time I didn't know it.  They had square boxed shelving lining one wall up to the ceiling with all kinds of comics.  They had those sliding library type ladders to climb and dig through the comics.  Not sure if today, letting a 9 or 10 year kid or even an adult climbing those would even be allowed today (imaging if someone fell). 

I have no doubt there were tons of GA goodies in those stacks but of course, I went for the newer mainstream Marvel comics.  I think they were 10 cents apiece so I could 10 which is what mom would spend on my habit about every week or so.