• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Noob just discovered no grader notes on 9.6 is standard?

8 posts in this topic

OK, I did a search and discovered I guess it's not mandatory for a grader to include his notes. There were three comics that were submitted which I thought had a shot at 9.8s. They came back 9.4., 9.6, and 9.6. These were submitted along with 7 other books. I had them all cleaned and pressed prior to grading. Reading through some other threads I guess this may come across as crying, but it is a hard pill to swallow when you submit 10 books and the only two that come back with no grader notes are the 9.6s. My question is what actions any of you might take at this point? Ask to see if notes are available? Send the 9.6s back in to give them another shot? CCS pressed them, so send them off to another service get them pressed again and then get re-graded? Organize a protest outside CGC's gate demanding grader notes on all submissions? (Kidding) Or take my approach and roll into a fetal position with tears streaming down my face while tapping out a whiny post on the keyboard with one finger to make me feel better? (Thought the visual might help) 

BTW - the three books in question:    Savage She Hulk #1     9.6                 X-Men #103   9.6          X-Men #104  9.4   Notes: light spine stress lines to cover  very light wear all corners of cover

Maybe we should just give people the option of selecting the grade they want (for a nominal fee, of course), which would also speed things up for those "pre-graded" books that don't have to make an extra stop at the grader's desk.

On 6/16/2022 at 6:53 PM, O Doyle Rules said:

My question is what actions any of you might take at this point? [Send the 9.6s back in to give them another shot?]

There are no actions to take, unless you want to re-submit for a chance that they consider it a 9.8 on the day that it gets re-graded (second question).

I don't understand the obsession with trying to squeeze every penny out of yourself to get 9.8s. Why can't we accept the fact that some comic books are a 9.6 grade at-maximum? I mean, you have to be extremely lucky to get a 9.8, they're not all that grade off the shelf.

Is the point here why were there no grader notes?  Or what has to be done to change a 9.6 to a 9.8?

If you have de-slabbed, pressed and graded again your mathematical odds of receiving a lower grade on the 9.6's are way higher than if you leave them they way they are and move on.

Just Let It Go Stan Marsh GIF - Just Let It Go Stan Marsh Kyle Broflovski GIFs

Edited by MAR1979

On 6/17/2022 at 7:28 AM, MAR1979 said:

Is the point here why were there no grader notes?  Or what has to be done to change a 9.6 to a 9.8?

If you have de-slabbed, pressed and graded again your mathematical odds of receiving a lower grade on the 9.6's are way higher than if you leave them they way they are and move on.

On 6/17/2022 at 7:28 AM, MAR1979 said:

I guess both. Frustration over the fact out of 10 books, the only ones that did not have grader notes were the 9.6s. I think I would have felt better about missing the 9.8s had the grader notes been there. From my very limited knowledge point of view it would seem the 9.6s would be the ones that should have the grader's reasoning why the book missed being a 9.8.  Grading is a subjective exercise is it not? Opinions could vary by graders looking at the same book?  - so therefore I feel graders should have to justify their opinion. 

I was also wondering if any of the seasoned pros out there had ever got 9.6s re-graded in hopes of getting that elusive 9.8. 

On 6/17/2022 at 2:24 PM, rexinnih said:

I was surprised that 2 out of the last 3 from my last submission that graded 9.6 came with grader notes. 

Did you feel better about the 9.6s when the grader did provide the notes, thereby justifying his opinion?

my 9.6's had no notes as well. Seems kind of lame to not include why it received the grade it did especially considering the higher the grade the less notes you would have. A 9.6 would probabaly only be a couple of comments anyway.