• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Little help with UK variants ASM1 and TOS39

8 posts in this topic

On 6/20/2022 at 11:15 PM, Hulksdaddy1 said:

Picked up an ASM#1 and TOS#39 pence copies the other day. Both are in the 3-0-3.5 range. Any idea on value of each? Any info I can find is graded, usually old. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Pictures, please.

:popcorn:

On 6/20/2022 at 11:15 PM, Hulksdaddy1 said:

Hey all,

Picked up an ASM#1 and TOS#39 pence copies the other day. Both are in the 3-0-3.5 range. Any idea on value of each? Any info I can find is graded, usually old. Any help is greatly appreciated.

:foryou:

Some recent raw results here:

https://www.andersonandgarland.com/auction/lot/lot-1125---marvel-comics/?lot=275443&so=4&st=amazing spider-man 1&sto=0&au=&ef=&et=&ic=False&sd=1&pp=100&pn=1&g=-1

https://www.andersonandgarland.com/auction/lot/lot-659---marvel-comics/?lot=274509&so=4&st=tales of suspense 39&sto=0&au=&ef=&et=&ic=False&sd=1&pp=100&pn=1&g=-1

https://www.excaliburauctions.com/auction/lot/lot-710---amazing-spider-man-1---1963---marvel---uk/?lot=18734&so=4&st=amazing spider-man 1&sto=0&au=&ef=&et=&ic=False&sd=1&pp=48&pn=1&g=1

https://www.excaliburauctions.com/auction/lot/lot-431---tales-of-suspense-39---iron-man-1963--/?lot=18455&so=4&st=tales of suspense 39&sto=0&au=&ef=&et=&ic=False&sd=1&pp=48&pn=1&g=1

@Pantodude normally has his finger on the pulse of what is going for what. From what I can see myself, a lower mid-grade ASM #1 in pence seems to have tripled in the last few years. The days of a few grand appear to be well and truly over. 

Howdy.  Thanks for reaching out.  As I mentioned a few months ago (forgot which thread), I haven't been on top of prices since late last year.  The exception was trying to reconcile Overstreet's SA ranking with prices for keys in 3.0 and 6.0 grades a few months ago, which I might do periodically, but that was not pence specific (they are too rare and sell too infrequently for such an endeavor in any event).  But congrats on finding the ASM1 and TOS39 in pence. My cents ASM1 and TOS39 have not yet had the privilege of being paired with them.  So I'm jelly!   As @Get Marwood & I notes, pence have gotten expensive, so I'm not sure I will ever be able to add these two to my PC.  It's large as it is.   

On 6/22/2022 at 12:26 PM, Pantodude said:

Howdy.  Thanks for reaching out.  As I mentioned a few months ago (forgot which thread), I haven't been on top of prices since late last year. 

Sorry Panto, I forgot you'd said that.

On 6/22/2022 at 12:26 PM, Pantodude said:

As @Get Marwood & I notes, pence have gotten expensive, so I'm not sure I will ever be able to add these two to my PC.  It's large as it is.   

Everything seems to be prohibitively expensive nowadays, doesn't it.  Getting hard to collect, it is..... 664623333_YodaWideSad.gif.9892fc064c65dc02b3d7d8f8b45f4307.gif

On 6/23/2022 at 1:14 AM, Hulksdaddy1 said:

My only recollection was that pence copies were always waaayyyyyy less than cents, pennies on the dollar, so nice to hear they're closing the cap.

Here's pics of what I picked up in the collection. Also, it has a ton of B&W reprints by Alan Class.

You've got some crackers there, Hulk :cloud9:

The gap is more or less closed on keys. Indeed, some pence copies have gone for more than comparable cents recently so I would be pricing up with parity myself. Keep an eye on the Alan Class books too. Any that reprint Marvel first appearances are doing very well now. Most are easy to spot where they reproduce the covers but some have key content hidden - Out of This World #17 for example reprints AF#15 and has been selling in the high hundreds recently despite being tucked away behind a Charlton cover.

Great books all. Good luck!

On 6/23/2022 at 4:14 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

You've got some crackers there, Hulk :cloud9:

The gap is more or less closed on keys. Indeed, some pence copies have gone for more than comparable cents recently so I would be pricing up with parity myself. Keep an eye on the Alan Class books too. Any that reprint Marvel first appearances are doing very well now. Most are easy to spot where they reproduce the covers but some have key content hidden - Out of This World #17 for example reprints AF#15 and has been selling in the high hundreds recently despite being tucked away behind a Charlton cover.

Great books all. Good luck!

Thanks for the info! I'll have to look through the Class books, see what's there.