• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Party Like It's 2003

156 posts in this topic

Didn't hoodeedoo leave these boards during a period of unbridled enthusiasm, back in late 2003 or early 2004? Seems like the asking prices for his books, nice though they be, are still stuck in a time warp.

I remember Hoodee very well. His avatar genuininely frightened me.

He was a good guy, definitely one of the better members of these boards. Then one day, he was gone, just like that, with rumors that he was exiting collecting. It appears he held onto quite a few of his books, though, and every now and then he pops them up at very high starting prices on eBay, with no sales that I can see.

Anyone know what his deal is/was?

The price on the FF #24 is a joke. The worst issue of the Kirby run. Only bought by FF collectors to fill in the run. Unless the Infant Terrible is the star of the FF2 movie, he will be the proud owner of this book forever.

27_laughing.gif Yup... this is one of the last issues I needed to complete the run because I kept putting off buying it. Dumb story and ugly cover.

Take Doug and Brulato out of the equation... is there anyone in the world that would pay $5K for this book?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32731&item=6560036358

I guess someone is willing to pay some of these prices, not that I know what this book tends to go for.

Hey, I sold an FF24 for about half guide! Someone is looking for it! 'Twas a beat reader copy, I think I got like $10-$12 for it, at least $9.00, I'm sure of that.

I guess someone is willing to pay some of these prices, not that I know what this book tends to go for.

Hey, I sold an FF24 for about half guide! Someone is looking for it! 'Twas a beat reader copy, I think I got like $10-$12 for it, at least $9.00, I'm sure of that.

That price was a GPA low.....

The price on the FF #24 is a joke. The worst issue of the Kirby run. Only bought by FF collectors to fill in the run. Unless the Infant Terrible is the star of the FF2 movie, he will be the proud owner of this book forever.
Tom every one is entitled to their opinions, but I would say that FF21 was the worst of the Kirby run. FF 21 saw some great penciling of Kirby get ruined by Geo Bell. Also the plot of the Hate Monger getting groups of people to argue fight and hate each other was extremely lame.

Nick Fury does make a cameo which was an early crossover, but why can't Nick Fury get a rifle and take out this Hate Monger guy? Nah, just hop in a cab and waltz right in to the FF headquarters (no problem) Stan Lee makes it seem like Fury can get into any building but he can't take out one guy who wears a purple hood on his face in broad daylight.

Once the Hate Monger is defeated the unmasking reveals that it's..... Hitler screwy.gif And a lame disclaimer was then dropped on us in the form of 'Of course he had plenty of doubles so we'll never really know if it is the real Hitler or not' FF 21 is the real FILLER. I have the run of FF except 1-6, and 48.

FF 24 although not stellar featured a story that would later get used on the original Star Trek episode where kirk meets the powerful TRELANE. Trelane is prevented from harming anyone else when his parents show up. The Enfant Terrible preceeds Star Trek. This would not be the first time Star Trek grabbed an idea from Marvel. Of course this is just my opinion. wink.gif

Bought by a bid time collector and board member (but doesn't post much here anymore probably because it's almost all negative).

Regarding Mark, if I remember correctly, he is / was a long time collector (going back to the 70's) and had tons of great books. He said that he was selling a lot of his collection for insurance reasons. I'm sure there was a little more to it than that, but that's what he said.

I don't believe he sold anything on the cheap. Dumped JIM's at the height of the craze, and I'm pretty sure the prices he has these books up for are about what he tried to get two years ago. Actually, I don't find two or his books price too high at all. I already have copies or I would bid.

Bought by a bid time collector and board member (but doesn't post much here anymore probably because it's almost all negative).

Regarding Mark, if I remember correctly, he is / was a long time collector (going back to the 70's) and had tons of great books. He said that he was selling a lot of his collection for insurance reasons. I'm sure there was a little more to it than that, but that's what he said.

I don't believe he sold anything on the cheap. Dumped JIM's at the height of the craze, and I'm pretty sure the prices he has these books up for are about what he tried to get two years ago. Actually, I don't find two or his books price too high at all. I already have copies or I would bid.

yup, as Tom already stated, the sale price on the FF #14 was the GPA LOW. within just a few months earlier a couple of copies sold for around $4000. so, perhaps his prices aren't too insane after all.

i remember him leaving abruptly and also thought that he had cashed out totally. probably just held onto some books to hedge his bets. but it's beginning to look like he was right as far as his timing of when he dumped...............

i think it's fair to say that everyone seriously suspected a correction was coming. maybe this is it............... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

yup, as Tom already stated, the sale price on the FF #14 was the GPA LOW. within just a few months earlier a couple of copies sold for around $4000. so, perhaps his prices aren't too insane after all.

i remember him leaving abruptly and also thought that he had cashed out totally. probably just held onto some books to hedge his bets. but it's beginning to look like he was right as far as his timing of when he dumped...............

i think it's fair to say that everyone seriously suspected a correction was coming. maybe this is it...............

It's hard to say he dumped at the right time.

Copies just sold for RECORD PRICE, in the past few months. Who's to say he couldn't have got $4K for his.

Either way, as I said, I didn't think all of his books were overpriced.

His auction pictures suck. He won't provide larger scans of books when asked. And he refuses to spend a couple of hundred bucks on a decent scanner so he could realize thousands more in final prices. foreheadslap.gif

What difference would larger, clearer scans provide? It's a slabbed book, it doesn't matter.

What difference would larger, clearer scans provide? It's a slabbed book, it doesn't matter.

27_laughing.gif

That was pretty much his attitude when I was wanting to bid on his books and emailed him for either larger versions of the pictures he already had, or clearer scans.

He refused to provide either...so I think he deserves every low GPA record he gets for his auctions. boo.gif

27_laughing.gif

That was pretty much his attitude when I was wanting to bid on his books and emailed him for either larger versions of the pictures he already had, or clearer scans.

He refused to provide either...so I think he deserves every low GPA record he gets for his auctions. boo.gif

I agree with him on this. Of the books I bought from him, I just check the QP on them and that's it. I have been happy with every book so far.