• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM bound book?

12 posts in this topic

I saw a grouping of lower grade very early ASM for sale.       All graded.    Purple label.  
lower grades. 

1st appearence mysterio,kraven,goblin etc etc 

the reason they were all purple labels and lower grade,   Was because they were taken from a bound book.  

my question is,    Are there bound books floating around like the omnibus but with original ASM in it?  Not reprints?  

Or was this just someone that made there own bound book of comics and then someone bought it and took it apart.  

2CCB52D1-E757-4B84-93F8-F8FDE26DE5B0.thumb.png.55bc489eb985575302c3c2b65c81aba0.png

It's a good question and if I'm wrong, someone will hopefully correct me. 

My understanding is, the bound volumes were all created by fans after the fact. So they complied a run of books (ASM 1-14 for example) and created a bound volume to tell the story in order.

At the time, no one imagined a silly comic book would be worth tens of thousands of dollars, so trimming an ASM1 and binding the spine was no big deal. 

On 6/27/2022 at 6:41 AM, KCOComics said:

My understanding is, the bound volumes were all created by fans after the fact. So they complied a run of books (ASM 1-14 for example) and created a bound volume to tell the story in order. 

If we're talking about bound volumes in general, some publishers made their own. Specifically talking about Marvel though, I don't know if they had their own bound copies made.

I know of a few creators that had their individual comics bound at a book bindery. Mark Waid has done this and I believe Roy Thomas has too. They more than likely were Smyth sewn through the staples and than attached to a fabric backing. I do this will a lot of my own comics. I like just walking up to the bookshelf and grabbing whatever I want to read instead of pouring through long boxes. 

I know that a few years back a chronological publishing copies by year of Marvel Comics went on sale. These were made by someone at Marvel and they went through a majority of the 60s-70s.

Edited by Nate Hartz

What has been said here is correct.

I also think leaving such issues in bound form is worth more than trying to separate them and get them graded. I could be wrong but I would be MUCH more likely to buy a bound volume containing ASM issues than I ever would but a trimmed copy in CGC, even knowing it was once in a bound volume.

Almost all of these bound books were done by private collectors, but Marvel did  a set in the 1990s to give to retailers at a Retail Summit.  It is a three volume soft covered set that contains every comic from one particular month.  I believe those are the only official bound editions thay have released. They pop up frequently on ebay.

On 6/27/2022 at 4:03 AM, Garra671 said:

my question is,    Are there bound books floating around like the omnibus but with original ASM in it?  Not reprints?

I have only seen bound books for more modern stuff, like Hellboy, but it's plausible that there are still bound books of older runs out there.

I had a conversation with Mark Waid at a Chicago comic convention about my bound volumes. He told me that he did this with his comics and he knew of several older writers and editors did this with their copies as well. DC's personal library has many of their books done this way. He knew of one person that had done this with all of his early Marvel books. Amazing Spider-Man, Avengers, Hulk, Tales to Astonish, etc. They were not looking to sell them just easier accessibility to read their favorite stories. They didn't imagine we would get trades or hardcovers of these ever so they made their own. 

Getting your comics bound seems to have been more popular in the 1950s and 1960s than later years. A few years ago, I ran across a nice bound Captain Marvel run. A hand written bill indicated it had been done in 1964. Imagine all those books surviving intact for years only to be trimmed on three sides to fit in a bound volume. 

It's too bad some genius didn't think it was better to simply expand the book size rather than trim everything to fit the cover.

I'd heard that Jack Kirby had his early Marvel  books all bound, and that he may have left them behind when his family moved to California. 

On 6/27/2022 at 8:44 AM, Nate Hartz said:

Here is a picture of some of my books.I know that they screwed up the Steve Rogers Captain America (American) but I am sending that back in to fix it.

shelf.jpg

What company do you use?