• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 Heroes Con Report
1 1

110 posts in this topic

On 6/30/2022 at 8:59 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

I suppose that would depend on your objectives at the show and whether you ca/want to allocate that much time to wait in line.

is it worthwhile to wait 80 minutes in line for Claremont to tell you a two-five minute story which may or may not be related to anything that interests you?

What is the opportunity cost of standing in his line for so long (other sigs, comic books that you missed out purchasing, original art purchases, commission sketch lists, etc)

I guess everyone would have to make that decision for themselves. Like I said, for me, a signature is just a memento from spending a moment with someone I admire. A signature in and of itself is worthless to me. So if it was someone I really wanted to meet, I'd wait however long it took just for a chance to say hi and thank them for their work. I guess for me the issue would be if there were multiple creators I was trying to meet in one show, then I might have to prioritize it a bit. Luckily, at this point I've met most of the creators I really wanted to meet, so I don't have to be in any big hurry.

On 6/30/2022 at 5:59 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

I suppose that would depend on your objectives at the show and whether you ca/want to allocate that much time to wait in line.

is it worthwhile to wait 80 minutes in line for Claremont to tell you a two-five minute story which may or may not be related to anything that interests you?

What is the opportunity cost of standing in his line for so long (other sigs, comic books that you missed out purchasing, original art purchases, commission sketch lists, etc)

I remember in SDCC one year when I was walking by the signing area upstairs in the Sails Pavilion and a CGC witness that I knew called me over to help him get some books signed for the SS program.

For some reason, even though there were 3 people in line, he enforced a five book max but we were able to go back in line so it looked ridiculous when he could have just signed everything at once.

Also, at NYCC when I was the personal witness for Drew Fowlie one year, we caught him right before he was going to leave for dinner but that was when he started charging $10 per signature and we had around 70 books and his eyes lit up when we told him the number.  In that case, he just signed them all and it was quick.  I've never dealt with him in any other instances. 

On 6/30/2022 at 11:35 AM, greggy said:

I remember in SDCC one year when I was walking by the signing area upstairs in the Sails Pavilion and a CGC witness that I knew called me over to help him get some books signed for the SS program.

For some reason, even though there were 3 people in line, he enforced a five book max but we were able to go back in line so it looked ridiculous when he could have just signed everything at once.

Also, at NYCC when I was the personal witness for Drew Fowlie one year, we caught him right before he was going to leave for dinner but that was when he started charging $10 per signature and we had around 70 books and his eyes lit up when we told him the number.  In that case, he just signed them all and it was quick.  I've never dealt with him in any other instances. 

Ha, yeah, if I was about to make $700 to write my name a few times, dinner could wait!

On 6/30/2022 at 11:43 AM, mattn792 said:

You're the one touting cost/benefit analysis, and whether it's you or anyone else approaching an artist's line with a "just shut up and sign my book" attitude, it certainly makes one wonder what that person's motivation is for standing in that line in the first place.  And yes, capitalism is definitely a worthwhile motivation.  But it's no reason to bag on a guy for regaling his fans with stories of days gone by.  Fans are meeting creators, and vice versa.  If every booth was as automated as Stan Lee's was, cons would be a very dull place.

I dunno, I’m thinking that when the creator is at their booth, it’s for signing something, maybe a quick photo op or hawking some of their recent work. Just to keep lines moving.

panels are where creators could (should) tell their stories, answer questions, etc.

On 6/30/2022 at 12:02 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

I dunno, I’m thinking that when the creator is at their booth, it’s for signing something, maybe a quick photo op or hawking some of their recent work. Just to keep lines moving.

panels are where creators could (should) tell their stories, answer questions, etc.

There's a few creators who run their lines that way, and frankly it's an agonizing experience.  Especially when you're standing there with 10-20 or more books.  It's like being on a really awkward first date - little eye contact, forced small talk, and intermittent silent pleas to your deity of choice for the whole thing to just be over.

On 6/30/2022 at 10:13 AM, mattn792 said:

There's a few creators who run their lines that way, and frankly it's an agonizing experience.  Especially when you're standing there with 10-20 or more books.  It's like being on a really awkward first date - little eye contact, forced small talk, and intermittent silent pleas to your deity of choice for the whole thing to just be over.

Personally, not my objective when meeting someone whose work I enjoy. More about the experience. The autograph is simply a personal memento.

Having 10-20 books signed is a business transaction. And, the reason there is a sometimes, a stiff price and creators have had to do it. 

On 6/30/2022 at 12:37 PM, Robot Man said:

He is a huge fan of the medium as well. He is a passionate pulp collector. I once sold him some and in addition to payment he gave me a beautiful Shadow portrait. 

Yes, we actually talked about a trip he took to the Windy City Pulp Convention that's held not too far from where I live.  He said he should have been the guest of honor because he had trouble being just a fan since so many people were coming up to say hello.  lol

Will echo the praise for Steranko. Regardless of what can be said about his contributions to the medium (I happen to think they're pretty huge) or his art (I happen to love it), he is a real character, and a lot of fun to chat with at a show. There aren't many of those guys left, the real giants. I've talked to him a handful of times and he was always a delight.

On 6/30/2022 at 12:50 PM, Robot Man said:

God bless him. Rare these days to find an artist of his caliber that would put his fans above the almighty dollar. (worship)

Uncle Walt is one of the few remaining on my bucket list. For whatever reason, we've just never been at the same show at the same time. He is one of those creators I mentioned previously that I would wait in line for, no matter how long, to have a chance to thank him for his work. If I was able to get a signature or a sketch, I'd be on over the moon, but just getting a chance to say hey would be worth whatever price of admission. 

On 6/30/2022 at 6:50 PM, thehumantorch said:

his art was wonderful and revolutionary.

Yup. I think that's basically the point. A small volume of work, visually dynamic and with especially impressive and inspired design sense.  One of the most distinctive, impactful styles you'll ever see in comics.

Like David Mazzucchelli's small body of (mainstream) comics work, quality over quantity. 

Rather that than copious amounts of tenth-rate drek.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 6/30/2022 at 3:35 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Yup. I think that's basically the point. A small volume of work, visually dynamic and with especially impressive and inspired design sense.  One of the most distinctive, impactful styles you'll ever see in comics.

Like David Mazzucchelli's small body of (mainstream) comics work, quality over quantity. 

Rather that than copious amounts of tenth-rate drek.

Yes, perfectly said.

On 6/29/2022 at 1:47 PM, Prince Namor said:

I don't much care for Jim Steranko. He's probably milked more fame out of the least amount of work as anyone in the history of comics. He still gets a small line throughout the entire show though. 

IMG_7860.jpg

IMG_7862.jpg

I had the pleasure of meeting him when I was volunteering at HeroesCon this year. It was on June 23rd, just a day before the actual convention took place.

I didn’t do much shopping since a lot of the dealers weren’t set up but I did catch Steranko setting up his booth. At first I didn’t want to bother him but I decided to stop by and say hello/introduce myself. 

After that was all said and done, I bought a pre-drawn headshot of Nick Fury from him since he wasn’t open to doing convention sketches. The cool part about it was that he made it out to me. 

Unfortunately, he wasn’t open to taking any photos either, even after I tried to bribe with him a $100 bill. lol

Edited by Terry JSA