• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Selling on CAF Question
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Premium member but confused about the interface for selling. I have a FOR SALE gallery but moving pieces into this gallery does not push them to the top of the Art for Sale listings. Furthermore, I don't see a button on the various edit pages for setting a piece you have in your gallery for sale. Yes you can add a price in that field (which many do to avoid paying premium fees) but that doesn't post it as a new For Sale item. It seems you need to delete the existing listing and repost it specifically for sale in order for it show in the top of the Art for Sale section. What am I doing wrong?

Note, the pieces do show up when you search for them in the classifieds. But I mostly look at the new For Sale listings, often several times per day, to see what is posted. 

Edited by cstojano

On 6/30/2022 at 9:29 PM, cstojano said:

Premium member but confused about the interface for selling. I have a FOR SALE gallery but moving pieces into this gallery does not push them to the top of the Art for Sale listings. Furthermore, I don't see a button on the various edit pages for setting a piece you have in your gallery for sale. Yes you can add a price in that field (which many do to avoid paying premium fees) but that doesn't post it as a new For Sale item. It seems you need to delete the existing listing and repost it specifically for sale in order for it show in the top of the Art for Sale section. What am I doing wrong?

Note, the pieces do show up when you search for them in the classifieds. But I mostly look at the new For Sale listings, often several times per day, to see what is posted. 

<edited>

Oops, misread your post.  Jason is right, you just have to upload a new one into the folder

Malvin

Edited by malvin

Yup- can be confusing. You have to add it as a new piece to your for sale gallery for it to show up as a new classified listing. Moving a piece to the gallery does not trigger that. So I usually just have a duplicate of the page if I am selling until it sells or I change my mind then delete the one in for sale. 

now link me your caf so I can see what you are selling! Lol 

And you can use the "edit description & artist" button to unmark the older piece, so it is not twice in your gallery. When you don't wanna sell your piece and put it in your collection you can active the piece again and you will not loose the comments, like and views.

Thanks all, what I suspected. It would be nice to have a button on each listing for Premium members that would set the item for sale, move it to the For Sale folder in your galleries and push it to the top of the Classifieds listings while keeping the old likes/comments, etc.

The whole idea of "new listings" is tricky for art that's already on CAF but is changing status. If toggling "For Sale" off and then on would push your art to the top of the list every time, then everyone would do it constantly. So it's good that it takes the extra step of creating a whole new listing in order to have your art listed as new art for sale. There are all sorts of opportunities to improve the "for sale" aspect of CAF, like an overall text-only list of artist names that you could browse and then select a name to see the thumbnails. Or the ability to list certain items in a folder for sale without all of them being for sale. It just takes time (=work, money) to make these incremental improvements.

I agree with EXPhysiker. Deactivate the current (non-for sale) item, then upload a new one just "for sale." If it doesn't sell, delete the "for sale" version and reactivate the old version.