• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Death in Family - house ad issues from Aug 1988

8 posts in this topic

I am going to frame my Aparo house ad art from the advertisements that led up to the sticky end for Jason Todd in Batman’s Death in the Family. I could use some help identifying the back issues that have the actual ads so I can frame the published art with the OA. Ideally, I’d like to use the Baxter paper that became popular right about then because of the crispness over newsprint, maybe “New Titans”?. Unfortunately, the digital copies skip the ads and I don’t have a store that has back issues of this depth, so am asking for help to determine which issues would have the published ads. Can anyone flip through some DC back issues from right before or after August 1988 they might have handy?

Ad #3 is the “Someone will die because the joker wants revenge but you can prevent it.“ advertising Batman 426/427. I have a copy of the ad, but need a better cut…

Ad #4 is the 1-900 ad, which predated Batman 427. 

Thanks! I’ll be happy to show the finished piece.

Bob

FECD571C-D09A-46A8-ADFA-A83E56224C2E.jpeg

Edited by Sideshow Bob

On 7/2/2022 at 7:08 PM, Sideshow Bob said:

I am going to frame my Aparo house ad art from the advertisements that led up to the sticky end for Jason Todd in Batman’s Death in the Family. I could use some help identifying the back issues that have the actual ads so I can frame the published art with the OA. Ideally, I’d like to use the Baxter paper that became popular right about then because of the crispness over newsprint, maybe “New Titans”?. Unfortunately, the digital copies skip the ads and I don’t have a store that has back issues of this depth, so am asking for help to determine which issues would have the published ads. Can anyone flip through some DC back issues from right before or after August 1988 they might have handy?

Ad #3 is the “Someone will die because the joker wants revenge but you can prevent it.“ advertising Batman 426/427. I have a copy of the ad, but need a better cut…

Ad #4 is the 1-900 ad, which predated Batman 427. 

Thanks! I’ll be happy to show the finished piece.

Bob

FECD571C-D09A-46A8-ADFA-A83E56224C2E.jpeg

Just ask Derek in the group chat 

Not exactly scientific or first hand... but as a personal future project, I wanted to research specific DC issues from a certain period.  I'm also making this post for my future reference.

Using comics.org, try this query... 

1) On comics.org, go to Advanced Query (orange button)

2) In Query Control, specify 3 settings, Search For = Issues... Search Method = Contains...Behavior = AND all fields

3) In Ordering, specify 1 setting, First By = Series Name

4) In Publisher Fields, specify 1 setting, Publisher = DC

5) Scroll down to Issue Fields, specify 1 setting, Cover Date = 1988

6) Hit Query

That will generate a list of every DC issue in 1988.

7) There is another setting you can try, go to Series Fields then Format Fields, specify 1 setting, Paper Stock  = baxter

That will further narrow down the list.  The series info will specify the Baxter paper, the issue info won't specify the paper.  Issue info will note house ads (if any) but not the ad content.

Edited by Will_K

Quick update... Looks like the Ad 3 was widely published, but some of the Baxter page examples were Dragonlance #1 and Shadow Annual #2. And the Ad #4 only appeared in Batman #427, as indicated on the cover with the "You Will Decide" footnote. Issues have been ordered, and the process has started! Thanks for all the help, particularly Will and Derek! 

Bob