• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The amazing Spider-Man the chameleon strikes

65 posts in this topic

Hey so I acquired quite a few comic books and in the mix I found the amazing Spider-Man the chameleon strikes in fantastic condition. I'm afraid it's too good to be true. So my question is what are Factors I need to look for to tell if it's the really deal or not. 

IMG_20220625_091146__01.jpg

IMG_20220625_091053.jpg

IMG_20220611_124541.jpg

Very generally i would check the indicia inside the front and back cover for publishing info.

check your sizes against other books from the same era.  

search the internet for possible reprints

It’s clear that what you pictured is a reproduction of the cover to Amazing Spider-man #1.  

I have collected comics for decades, and I have seen stories very similar to this many times.  They typically fall into one of these categories:

1) An inexperienced collector finds something that they think might be a high dollar book.  The book turns out to be a reprint or facsimile that is not a high dollar book.

2) A collector with some experience creates or obtains a facsímile of a high dollar book.  They pose as an inexperienced collector asking about the value of the book, in hopes that somebody will be fooled and offer a lot of money for their fake.

Edited by SOTIcollector

On 7/5/2022 at 9:10 PM, SOTIcollector said:

It’s clear that what you pictured is a reproduction of the cover to Amazing Spider-man #1.  

I have collected comics for decades, and I have seen stories very similar to this many times.  They typically fall into one of these categories:

1) An inexperienced collector finds something that they think might be a high dollar book.  The book turns out to be a reprint or facsimile that is not a high dollar book.

2) A collector with some experience creates or obtains a facsímile of a high dollar book.  They pose as an inexperienced collector asking about the value of the book, in hopes that somebody will be fooled and offer a lot of money for their fake.

On 7/5/2022 at 7:21 PM, KirbyTown said:

Reprint

I should qualify my "reprint" assessment (edited to "Fascimile Cover" now), which should have more accurately just said "not original" since I doubt there's a reprint with full dress...at least until later this year maybe:

Looks like a modern size book in a modern size bag and board.
Book looks too thick, spine too round, and cover stock (and its damage) anachronistic.
Original FC image has a vertical black line along the left hand side which is pretty much always visible on the front or back.
Original green circle is almost never cut off and will have a fair amount of space to the right of it.
Registration and staples like this would be nearly impossible.
This cover has no red ink on the back (see "spray" card in suitcase, boy's shirt, the orange text in general)
The blue shade on the back is anachronistic.
I'm sure there are more, please add.

And realistically, how likely is it that an actual ASM #1 would be found in this condition and just popped into a clean bag and board and brought to a message board? There are 3,130 blues on the census and the average grade is 3.76.

Edited by KirbyTown

On 7/5/2022 at 7:02 PM, KirbyTown said:

Not sure what you mean?

I don't have a silver age book readily available, but I assume there's something similar.  At the bottom of the first page is some information that usually says the issue number and publishing date.  It'll usually include details to give clues as to whether a book is a first print, reprint, facsimile, etc.

image.thumb.jpeg.6b3b21c54a93e6205a1dad7d144f6eb6.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.52d3d0c0c16a310e0210d9fda3e548e9.jpeg

On 7/5/2022 at 10:10 PM, SOTIcollector said:

I'm definitely not trying to fool anyone! I know nothing about comics that's why I came here to ask! I've been told by a handful of people it's legit and another handful say it's not. I've tried to do research on it but literally can't find the same copy as the one I have 

On 7/5/2022 at 10:28 PM, KirbyTown said:

I should qualify my "reprint" assessment (edited to "Fascimile Cover" now), which should have more accurately just said "not original" since I doubt there's a reprint with full dress...at least until later this year maybe:

Looks like a modern size book in a modern size bag and board.
Book looks too thick, spine too round, and cover stock (and its damage) anachronistic.
Original FC image has a vertical black line along the left hand side which is pretty much always visible on the front or back.
Original green circle is almost never cut off and will have a fair amount of space to the right of it.
Registration and staples like this would be nearly impossible.
This cover has no red ink on the back (see "spray" card in suitcase, boy's shirt, the orange text in general)
The blue shade on the back is anachronistic.
I'm sure there are more, please add.

And realistically, how likely is it that an actual ASM #1 would be found in this condition and just popped into a clean bag and board and brought to a message board? There are 3,130 blues on the census and the average grade is 3.76.

As I said I am extremely new to comics, I know nothing about them.... That's why I came here. Not to be bashed or to say that I'm a fraud.. I know now that I apparently can't come here to ask questions or get opinions. And I actually took it to a local comic book store where he actually replaced the bag and board for me.

On 7/5/2022 at 11:06 PM, ExNihilo said:

I don't have a silver age book readily available, but I assume there's something similar.  At the bottom of the first page is some information that usually says the issue number and publishing date.  It'll usually include details to give clues as to whether a book is a first print, reprint, facsimile, etc.

image.thumb.jpeg.6b3b21c54a93e6205a1dad7d144f6eb6.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.52d3d0c0c16a310e0210d9fda3e548e9.jpeg

IMG_20220611_124406.jpg

On 7/5/2022 at 8:52 PM, StillOnly25Cents said:

cover (front/back) presents like a facsimile reproduction just by staples alone 

why no posts of the interior?

I can add interior pictures. This is my first time posting on here and honestly I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm actually regretting posting this because apparently everyone thinks I'm a fake poster or trying to "scam" people. It's sad. Just here to try and figure out what I have

On 7/6/2022 at 8:08 AM, Jmillar31 said:

I can add interior pictures. This is my first time posting on here and honestly I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm actually regretting posting this because apparently everyone thinks I'm a fake poster or trying to "scam" people. It's sad. Just here to try and figure out what I have

I am having a tough time understanding why you are reacting so negatively.  You asked for an opinion as to the authenticity of this item. Many experts have given their opinions. Yet somehow you are taking that to be accusations that you are a fraud.  If you read carefully what was posted, nobody has said that you are a fraud.  

If you are not willing to listen to the opinions of multiple experts who say that what you have is a fake, then why even ask the question as to whether it is real?

On 7/6/2022 at 8:14 AM, SOTIcollector said:

I am having a tough time understanding why you are reacting so negatively.  You asked for an opinion as to the authenticity of this item. Many experts have given their opinions. Yet somehow you are taking that to be accusations that you are a fraud.  If you read carefully what was posted, nobody has said that you are a fraud.  

If you are not willing to listen to the opinions of multiple experts who say that what you have is a fake, then why even ask the question as to whether it is real?

That's my mistake then. I must be misunderstanding, my apologies! I thought people were saying I'm trying to scam . 😩 Sorry I'm just trying to figure this comic out. I have 3 young kids so it's a little hectic here. I've been trying to research as much as I can. Between Facebook, online research, local comic book stores. I sincerely apologize if I came off negatively, as I really thought people were saying I'm a fraud. It's frustrating 

On 7/6/2022 at 8:23 AM, Jmillar31 said:

That's my mistake then. I must be misunderstanding, my apologies! I thought people were saying I'm trying to scam . 😩 Sorry I'm just trying to figure this comic out. I have 3 young kids so it's a little hectic here. I've been trying to research as much as I can. Between Facebook, online research, local comic book stores. I sincerely apologize if I came off negatively, as I really thought people were saying I'm a fraud. It's frustrating 

You'd fall into Category 1 of SOTI's analysis:

An inexperienced collector finds something that they think might be a high dollar book.  The book turns out to be a reprint or facsimile that is not a high dollar book.

Nothing wrong with being inexperienced and asking questions. We all started somewhere.

On 7/6/2022 at 7:23 AM, Jmillar31 said:

local comic book stores

Could you explain what these interactions were like?

If this were a legitimate copy, I'm finding it difficult to imagine any businessperson not dropping everything they were doing to purchase this comic at whatever price required, shutting down their store, getting on a plane to Florida with an indestructible briefcase handcuffed to their arm, and watching CGC create the first ASM 1 in 9.9?

That's not a statement about the OP, but about the complete insanity of a comic book store passing up an original in this condition.

Also, after holding this book in their hand, what comic enthusiast would even suggest that there were still unanswered questions about its authenticity? Unless trying to let a customer down easy? Or maybe they've never held old paper? 🙆‍♂️

Edited by KirbyTown

On 7/6/2022 at 9:30 AM, KirbyTown said:

Could you explain what these interactions were like?

If this were a legitimate copy, I'm finding it difficult to imagine any businessperson not dropping everything they were doing to purchase this comic at whatever price required, shutting down their store, getting on a plane to Florida with an indestructible briefcase handcuffed to their arm, and watching CGC create the first ASM 1 in 9.9?

That's not a statement about the OP, but about the complete insanity of a comic book store passing up an original in this condition.

Also, after holding this book in their hand, what comic enthusiast would even suggest that there were still unanswered questions about its authenticity? Unless trying to let a customer down easy? Or maybe they've never held old paper? 🙆‍♂️

Ok so when I took it to my local comic book store he tried to research the exact copy I had but could not find it anywhere. He said based on the condition and smell he believes it to not be an original. He said he was very puzzled as well. We're still currently looking because I refuse to find a copy to compare it to. Again I don't really have THAT much free time with my young kids but I do what I can. He told me the best way to figure out if it's the real deal is to send it in to be graded. I'm still trying to figure out how to do that especially considering idk what it is 

On 7/6/2022 at 8:30 AM, KirbyTown said:

lol What? How the :censored: do you think this thing is even close to 9.9? The grade would still be very nice for an original ASM 1, but it's obviously not one of those.