• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Long term storage
1 1

25 posts in this topic

I'm moving abroad for a year+ and renting out my house & moving everything to a climate controlled storage unit. The one thing that has me vexed is what to do with my OA collection. I'm reluctant to store my portfolios in a storage unit, even in plastic bins, and my banks widest safety deposit box is 10 inches. Due to the nature of my traveling, I will not be able carry any portfolios with me. I am considering storing at a relative's house but that's not ideal in my case. Does anyone have any storage recommendations?

How many portfolios are we talking? I bet there's somebody here or on CAF who lives near Phoenix; then it would just be a matter of you trusting them with your treasures. And of course there are always commercial vault solutions.

https://www.bluevaultsecure.com/bank-vault-storage.php

Edited by RBerman

On 7/7/2022 at 10:29 AM, RBerman said:

How many portfolios are we talking? I bet there's somebody here or on CAF who lives near Phoenix; then it would just be a matter of you trusting them with your treasures. And of course there are always commercial vault solutions.

https://www.bluevaultsecure.com/bank-vault-storage.php

Thanks - There are a few records storage places around, so that would be worth checking into.

On 7/7/2022 at 11:51 AM, Hekla said:

I'm moving abroad for a year+ and renting out my house & moving everything to a climate controlled storage unit. The one thing that has me vexed is what to do with my OA collection. I'm reluctant to store my portfolios in a storage unit, even in plastic bins, and my banks widest safety deposit box is 10 inches. Due to the nature of my traveling, I will not be able carry any portfolios with me. I am considering storing at a relative's house but that's not ideal in my case. Does anyone have any storage recommendations?

I'd be very weary of keeping anything valuable in a regular storage facility, (even climate controlled). There are always issues with pests, moisture and theft in these places, a quick google search will scare the out of you!

On 7/7/2022 at 2:35 PM, Hockeyflow33 said:

I'd be very weary of keeping anything valuable in a regular storage facility, (even climate controlled). There are always issues with pests, moisture and theft in these places, a quick google search will scare the out of you!

There’s a GC tread on storage units with photos of destroyed comics from burst pipes, etc. I definitely do not want to keep irreplaceable items in a regular storage. 

I am in Phoenix as well. Congrats for getting out! Surface of the sun is apt. I am unsure what facilities exist locally but surely there are fine art warehouses for the rich folks to store things up in PV. I have experience with these from museum work. The one I am familiar with rented by the square foot. Theoretically they would build a custom crate to fit whatever you want and charge by the footprint. 

Edited by cstojano

I just watched some of the CAF U video about storage. Good education on OA care that is fitting for this thread. 

Quick question: has anyone used the newer Itoya PolyGlass sheets? They say “archival” compatible but any idea what they are made from?

On 7/12/2022 at 12:30 AM, Xatari said:

I just watched some of the CAF U video about storage. Good education on OA care that is fitting for this thread. 

Quick question: has anyone used the newer Itoya PolyGlass sheets? They say “archival” compatible but any idea what they are made from?

Polypropylene, according to an Itoya ad.

By the way Mylar is polyethylene terephthalate (PET).

Edited by Rick2you2

On 7/11/2022 at 9:30 PM, Xatari said:

Good question about the definition of 'archival'. I have a few pieces that are too large or awkward for portfolios and am using Museum Boxes, storing the pages or illustrations loosely, separating (some, but not all) the individual pieces with archival paper. This seems a very safe method to me, but if anyone has insight, LMK!

I'll check out the CAF videos, Thanks!

On 7/12/2022 at 9:07 AM, GreatEscape said:

As an alternative to portfolios, I wanted to share my long-term OA storage solution that uses acid-free boards, custom mats and oversize mylars.  Creates a unique storage/display solution that is (1) protective against bending, dust, pests incl silverfish and even flooding to some extent; (2) cost effective ~$15 per piece compared to framing but has a similar look and feel; (3) really fun to "flip through" art like a short-box of comics and share at collector meet-ups and (4) good for wall displays similar to dealer walls or art gallery that pieces can be easily shuffled or replaced.

I do three sizes for standard (10x15), twice-up/DPS (12x18) and poster size (22x28) art for consistency.  Art can be stored this way safely in off-site climate controlled storage for decades.

For more details, you can PM me or some others storing art this way.

810874426_OAStorageexample.thumb.jpeg.d93f8eba322796536c3f99195b3875bc.jpeg 

687873808_OAStoragedisplay.thumb.jpeg.17b21ac1d507bf4b236506af00ad9af0.jpeg

1386532535_OAStoragestepbystep.thumb.jpg.63d26602eb7f7b13e12e2321eeb18e0d.jpg

Those look great!

I would love to do that to some of pieces, but I do not have time before my travels.

(nice pieces too, BTW).

On 7/12/2022 at 9:07 AM, GreatEscape said:

As an alternative to portfolios, I wanted to share my long-term OA storage solution that uses acid-free boards, custom mats and oversize mylars.  Creates a unique storage/display solution that is (1) protective against bending, dust, pests incl silverfish and even flooding to some extent; (2) cost effective ~$15 per piece compared to framing but has a similar look and feel; (3) really fun to "flip through" art like a short-box of comics and share at collector meet-ups and (4) good for wall displays similar to dealer walls or art gallery that pieces can be easily shuffled or replaced.

I do three sizes for standard (10x15), twice-up/DPS (12x18) and poster size (22x28) art for consistency.  Art can be stored this way safely in off-site climate controlled storage for decades.

This is phenomenal. I have spent so much money on framing and rarely hang them (because of plaster walls and too much sun).

Do you have details on where you order the materials? Headwinds for me have been the mat itself. Michaels charges full price for a mat if not part of a package, which is stupidly expensive. 

Also, I spy some Heritage mailers in the closet ;)

Edited by cstojano

On 7/12/2022 at 12:07 PM, GreatEscape said:

how do you affix the OA to the matte?  

On 7/12/2022 at 3:37 PM, cstojano said:

This is phenomenal. I have spent so much money on framing and rarely hang them (because of plaster walls and too much sun).

Do you have details on where you order the materials? Headwinds for me have been the mat itself. Michaels charges full price for a mat if not part of a package, which is stupidly expensive. 

Also, I spy some Heritage mailers in the closet ;)

Thanks. Here are my materials and specs (sized to favor more covers and splashes, and to show some margin around published images)….can modify to taste.

Custom mats and boards:  Matboardandmore.com  
Acid-free foam boards and mats: 14.25 x 20 size, 10.25 x 15.75 opening for mat.  I do “museum cut” with slightly larger bottom mat margins to enhance viewing; other choose to center opening.
COST => ~$6 per set (regular)  $12 per set (twice-up)  I prefer black mat / white board but plenty of options.  

Mylars:  eGerber.com  4mil size 1422R (regular, $4 each) and 1824R (twice-up/DPS, $7 each)  same sizes also available from BagsUnlimited and BCW

Lineco corners: 1.25” archival clear (adheres to mat, cradles corners of art) from Amazon.com

D29F2059-9BC7-490D-9A39-9F166E36DB63.thumb.jpeg.b5cb1fdb2afe2b007b28dbf60ec3e70c.jpeg

On 7/12/2022 at 7:20 PM, GreatEscape said:

Thanks. Here are my materials and specs (sized to favor more covers and splashes, and to show some margin around published images)….can modify to taste.

Custom mats and boards:  Matboardandmore.com  
Acid-free foam boards and mats: 14.25 x 20 size, 10.25 x 15.75 opening for mat.  I do “museum cut” with slightly larger bottom mat margins to enhance viewing; other choose to center opening.
COST => ~$6 per set (regular)  $12 per set (twice-up)  I prefer black mat / white board but plenty of options.  

Mylars:  eGerber.com  4mil size 1422R (regular, $4 each) and 1824R (twice-up/DPS, $7 each)  same sizes also available from BagsUnlimited and BCW

Lineco corners: 1.25” archival clear (adheres to mat, cradles corners of art) from Amazon.com

D29F2059-9BC7-490D-9A39-9F166E36DB63.thumb.jpeg.b5cb1fdb2afe2b007b28dbf60ec3e70c.jpeg

Than you.  I am ordering

So many people commenting regarding how they store their art without actually reading the post, which simply ask not how, but where.

Storage units are absolutely out of the question. You said relatives were not ideal. Do you not have any friends that you can trust to hold your art for a while?

Are you asking one of us to store it for free? I'm sure that could be arranged, considering we already secure our own art. A simple letter signed by both parties and notarizing the transaction (art, value, terms of storage length of term, etc) would ensure your legal right of ownership, if you felt the need to go that far.

Frankly, you could probably also make such an agreement with one of the bigger dealers, though they might ask you to pay.

Edited by Race