• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is an X-Men 1 CGC 3.5 a Smart Buy at $10k?
2 2

85 posts in this topic

On 7/8/2022 at 10:21 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Is it though?  I don’t think any significant purchase is a no brainer right now.   3.5s could be selling for 7k in a month from now.   Market is pretty uncertain at the moment.  Do I think X-Men 1 will eventually see another significant spike when they enter the MCU?  It’s a good bet that it will, and a medium/long term hold will allow the buyer to capitalize on that seemingly inevitable eventuality.   The question is how much the book will drop in the meantime.....

Yes, it is.

On 7/9/2022 at 4:41 PM, Funnybooks said:

Out of curiosity…was the book offered to you for 10k with the deal to be closed prior to the show or was there an ongoing negotiation up until the show?

I probably jumped the gun in assuming he was bringing it to sell but this was the conversation. For context, someone offered him $10k for it at Heroes but not in cash. He brought it on Sunday but didn’t take the offer. 

F4A21B90-6A7D-4C31-9FEB-717E3CA7F241.jpeg

07F494A0-EDCD-4355-9AC1-7F1868CBA091.jpeg

F2CC6218-0C9C-47E3-8805-4F654548E070.jpeg

5B87C943-0EF4-4C24-BD45-BD7294ECF154.jpeg

On 7/9/2022 at 2:28 PM, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

All of this discussion turned out to be irrelevant. The guy showed up to the show with the book in hand, showed it to me, I put 10 grand on the table and then he got cold feet. No sale.

Weird times we’re in. I’m actually excited when I go to sell something and the guy shows up with money.

On 7/9/2022 at 3:28 PM, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

All of this discussion turned out to be irrelevant. The guy showed up to the show with the book in hand, showed it to me, I put 10 grand on the table and then he got cold feet. No sale.

I bet he shopped your offer around and landed a few extra bucks from someone else.  Regardless, what a job.  Karma will catch up to him.

On 7/9/2022 at 1:28 PM, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

I wonder if he saw this thread and figured he was giving you too good of a deal?

Sucks though if he backed out of a deal. 

On 7/9/2022 at 4:28 PM, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

That sucks and I’ve had a similar experience recently with a seller backing out at the last minute and I know the feeling. 

I realize the MCU stuff tends to make books go crazy, at least in the short term. But X-Men will be interesting, as it's already one of the biggest movie franchises of all time under the previous Fox banner. When a lesser known property gets the MCU treatment, it often goes crazy. But with X-Men, it's already so big that I wonder how much bigger it can really get. Obviously X stuff will be red hot when MCU stuff starts, but I wonder if it will have the same impact we've seen in other franchises. This really is uncharted territory. 

On 7/10/2022 at 3:33 PM, profholt82 said:

I realize the MCU stuff tends to make books go crazy, at least in the short term. But X-Men will be interesting, as it's already one of the biggest movie franchises of all time under the previous Fox banner. When a lesser known property gets the MCU treatment, it often goes crazy. But with X-Men, it's already so big that I wonder how much bigger it can really get. Obviously X stuff will be red hot when MCU stuff starts, but I wonder if it will have the same impact we've seen in other franchises. This really is uncharted territory. 

The counterpoint to this is that most of the X-Men movies have been varying degrees of garbage. 

X-men 1 is not a movie-hype dependent book.  It’s the 1st issue of one of the most successful marvel franchises.   I’ve got a copy already, but if presented with that offer, I’d Venmo the seller in a heartbeat.