• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

POLL: To add a new rule to the Forum Marketplace
6 6

Poll to see if a new rule needs to be added to the Forum Marketplace  

161 members have voted

1. 1. Does a new Marketplace rule need to be added regarding consignments and/or whether the seller has physical possession of the book being sold?

• Yes.  A seller ALWAYS needs to disclose if he's selling a book on consignment AND must also note if they physically have the book in their possession or not.
    • Yes.  But a seller ONLY needs to disclose they're selling a book on consignment if they do not have the book in their possession.
    • Yes.  The seller does not need to disclose if the book is a consignment or not.  But they must ALWAYS disclose when they do not currently have the book in their possession.
    • Yes. But it should simply be against the rules to post books for sale that are not in the sellers possession. This includes, but is not limited to, "consignments" or books that are "on their way back from CGC".
    • No.  A new rule does not need to be added.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/16/2022 at 03:00 AM

101 posts in this topic

On 7/16/2022 at 5:47 PM, Domo Arigato said:

Or, maybe just go with the rule that books must me in a sellers possession, with an exemption allowed for pre-sales?  Who knows?  I was just trying to offer alternative options that wouldn't interfere with legitimate sellers while still alerting buyers to potential areas of concern. 

I think pre-sales could be made an exception.  I don’t think those that are waiting for books to return from CGC should be permitted to pimp their wares until the books arrive & are in hand.   Just friggin’ wait til they arrive & you’ve inspected them.

On 7/16/2022 at 5:16 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I think pre-sales could be made an exception.  I don’t think those that are waiting for books to return from CGC should be permitted to pimp their wares until the books arrive & are in hand.   Just friggin’ wait til they arrive & you’ve inspected them.

The more I think about it, the more I'm agreeing with this.  Just a simple....sellers must have all books in hand with an exception for pre-sales.  

If a forum member is going to sell a book in here for someone else, then the books owner can send it to them prior to their listing it.  This is how auction houses and many online places operate anyway.  And I don't see why it should be such a problem anyway.  Current forum rules already state that books listed for sale here can't be listed for sale anywhere else at the same time.  The owner that wants it listed for sale here wouldn't be able to list it elsewhere anyway.....so they shouldn't need to hold onto the book.

And, if they don't want to mail their books to someone else to sell.....it's already been pointed out in this thread that forum membership is free.  They can always create an account and list their books themselves.

Edited by Domo Arigato

• Administrator

@Domo Arigato I think your poll was a success in terms of seeing where board members stand.  I agree that is seems members want to see a rule about sellers having the item in hand.  My advice would be not to give up and use the information from this poll and narrow down the choices in the next poll.  

Based on your earlier post here, I just thought the matter was going to be dropped and hadn't planned on starting another poll. 

I can start another poll......perhaps with two options this time that are a bit of a compromise between the original four options for a new rule.  

These would be my two suggestions for poll choices......but will wait to hear a bit of feedback in here before making another poll.

New Rule Option #1:  All books listed for sale in the Forum Marketplace must be in the sellers possession.  The only exceptions would be for legitimate pre-orders, such as for signature series books.  Simply waiting for your graded books to arrive back from CGC does NOT qualify as a legitimate exception to this rule.

or

New Rule Option #2:  All books listed for sale in the Forum Marketplace are assumed to be in the sellers possession.  If the seller does not have physical possession of a book(s), this fact must be CLEARLY disclosed in the sellers listing.

Edited by Domo Arigato

• Administrator
On 7/16/2022 at 9:32 PM, Domo Arigato said:

New Rule Option #1:  All books listed for sale in the Forum Marketplace must be in the sellers possession.  The only exceptions would be for legitimate pre-orders, such as for signature series books.  Simply waiting for your graded books to arrive back from CGC does NOT qualify as a legitimate exception to this rule.

or

New Rule Option #2:  All books listed for sale in the Forum Marketplace are assumed to be in the sellers possession.  If the seller does not have physical possession of a book(s), this fact must be CLEARLY disclosed in the sellers listing.

There should always be an option for "no new rule is needed for _____________".  Otherwise, the poll is basically forcing a new rule.  

• Administrator

I would go with option#1 and something along the line of, "Option #2   No new rule is needed to restrict sellers from listing books that are not in their possession" Or, option #1 and #2 along with the option I posted. (3 options)

On 7/16/2022 at 9:32 PM, Domo Arigato said:

Based on your post below, I just thought the matter was going to be dropped and hadn't planned on starting another poll. 

I can start another poll......perhaps with two options this time that are a bit of a compromise between the original four options for a new rule.  

These would be my two suggestions for poll choices......but will wait to hear a bit of feedback in here before making another poll.

or

Option 2 is how I assumed our marketplace already works....

I was thinking along the lines that 80% of the voters in the original poll indicated they did want to add a new rule.  So I was going to eliminate the "no new rule is needed" option, so those people would get a say in which new rule was going to be added. 

I checked the Marketplace Rules thread and didn't see Option #2 addressed in the current rules.......but as Chris mentioned, perhaps people already operate under the assumption that people have the books in hand unless it's noted.

If I put three options in the poll, we all know......just as sure as Greggy sh*ts in the woods and doesn't wipe....that each option is going to get 33.3% of the vote.  So, I think Mike's suggestion of the following two options should go in the poll:

Option #1:  Add a new rule that states all books listed for sale in the Forum Marketplace must be in the sellers possession.  The only exceptions would be for legitimate pre-orders, such as for signature series books.  Simply waiting for your graded books to arrive back from CGC does NOT qualify as a legitimate exception to this rule.

or

Option #2:  No new rule is needed to restrict sellers from listing books that are not in their possession. 

On 7/17/2022 at 8:26 AM, Domo Arigato said:

I was thinking along the lines that 80% of the voters in the original poll indicated they did want to add a new rule.  So I was going to eliminate the "no new rule is needed" option, so those people would get a say in which new rule was going to be added. 

I checked the Marketplace Rules thread and didn't see Option #2 addressed in the current rules.......but as Chris mentioned, perhaps people already operate under the assumption that people have the books in hand unless it's noted.

If I put three options in the poll, we all know......just as sure as Greggy sh*ts in the woods and doesn't wipe....that each option is going to get 33.3% of the vote.  So, I think Mike's suggestion of the following two options should go in the poll:

Option #1:  Add a new rule that states all books listed for sale in the Forum Marketplace must be in the sellers possession.  The only exceptions would be for legitimate pre-orders, such as for signature series books.  Simply waiting for your graded books to arrive back from CGC does NOT qualify as a legitimate exception to this rule.

or

Option #2:  No new rule is needed to restrict sellers from listing books that are not in their possession. 

I wouldn't be so vague about "legitimate pre orders. Maybe just say the only exceptions are for "signature books"...or add whatever else you want an exception for?

On 7/17/2022 at 7:36 AM, skypinkblu said:

I wouldn't be so vague about "legitimate pre orders. Maybe just say the only exceptions are for "signature books"...or add whatever else you want an exception for?

If he decides the rule needs to be fine tweaked if/when it passes, I will leave that up to Mike to decide.

I am simply not going to be able to satisfy every preference for what should or should not be included.

On 7/17/2022 at 7:33 AM, CGC Mike said:

That works for me.  It's up to you if you want to wait for more opinions or start a poll.

I don't really know if I could stand hearing any more opinions.

The last 5 pages have made it abundantly clear that there is simply no way to satisfy everyone......or, it appears......anyone.

If you feel at anytime that the new poll simply needs to be deleted and we should probably just forget about all of this......I'm completely fine with that. 

See you all in the funny papers.

* Domo has left the chat session *

Edited by Domo Arigato

On 7/17/2022 at 8:50 AM, Domo Arigato said:

I don't really know if I could stand hearing any more opinions.

The last 5 pages have made it abundantly clear that there is simply no way to satisfy everyone......or, it appears......anyone.

If you feel at anytime that the new poll simply needs to be deleted and we should probably just forget about all of this......I'm completely fine with that. 

See you all in the funny papers.

* Domo has left the chat session *

Actually I was typing that when Mike asked about waiting for opinions, you just started before I was finished typing and I didn't know it....I'm not sure what caused you to be upset, but that was not why I wrote something.

Item analysis is required during any test construction and is a required element for a valid poll/test item. The process is a bit of a crucible but matters and makes for more reliable results.

On 7/17/2022 at 8:50 AM, Domo Arigato said:

As long as the poll has choices that cover all possible outcomes it should be okay. Where you parse lines is up to the poll developer but it should always include all possibility among the choices.

A simple,,,is it an issue yes/no. If yes, then another question. Perhaps? and offered respectfully. Test construction is a spoon but item analysis is important.