• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NEW POLL: To decide if we should add a rule to the Forum Marketplace
3 3

Poll to see if a new rule needs to be added to the Forum Marketplace  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Should the rule listed below be added to the Marketplace area of the forum or is no new rule needed?

• Add a new rule that states all books listed for sale in the Forum Marketplace must be in the sellers possession.  The only exceptions would be for legitimate pre-orders, such as for signature series books.  Simply waiting for your graded books to arrive back from CGC does NOT qualify as a legitimate exception to this rule.
    • No new rule is needed to restrict sellers from listing books that are not in their possession. 

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/24/2022 at 02:00 PM

190 posts in this topic

The original poll about adding a new rule to the Forum Marketplace took place in this thread.  

Since a clear consensus wasn't decided in that poll, and based on suggestions from Mike and others, it was decided that a more simplified poll should be created.  

There will be only two choices in this one.  You vote to either add the rule as presented into the Forum Marketplace Rule section.....or you vote that no new rule needs to be added to address this.

This poll will close one week from today on July 24th at 9am central time.

On 7/17/2022 at 8:17 AM, Bird said:

not sure what constitutes a legit pre-order?  why is waiting for SS books "legit" and nothing else?

I didn't vote. I would like books in possession, but the qualifier isn't something I can endorse either. (shrug)

I think the concept stems from the moderns that are released weekly/monthly etc, that boardies like to preorder from the boards, in order to ensure a quality copy or for signature series....

That would be my take from it, something prerelease, yet slabs back from CGC need to be "perused for defects" kind of thing. But there is "no way" to "wait" for moderns to be released to peruse...

Something to that effect? (thumbsu:cheers: 

A general statement not aimed at anyone in particular.

The rule was designed to prevent scenarios such as sellers listing consigned books for sale, without actually having them in hand......or prevent them from listing books (for example) that are just "coming back from CGC" but they don't actually have them in hand yet.

However, there could be legitimate instances where a pre-sale is required, and that's why an exception was added. 

What does a legitimate pre-sale look like?  Ask a thousand people in here and you're going to get a thousand different answers.  Mike saw this rule in the other thread last night before I made this poll.  If he feels he needs to, he can take suggestions in this thread and either tweak the rule a bit if it passes until he's satisfied with it....or he can simply make a judgment call when a sale comes up in the Marketplace that is obviously trying to push the boundaries of common sense.

My suggestion is, if you don't agree with the rule in the poll......simply vote that no new rule needs to be added.  Then, if the rule doesn't pass, you can create your own new poll with the perfect possible choices that satisfy everyone in here, and people can vote on that.  I dare you.

I don't mean to be snarky - this is a serious question. Is there any point to MEMBERS running polls to change forum rules?  If one of the Admins was running this poll I would assume the results could lead to change. But just members? 

On 7/17/2022 at 9:02 PM, Tony S said:

I don't mean to be snarky - this is a serious question. Is there any point to MEMBERS running polls to change forum rules?  If one of the Admins was running this poll I would assume the results could lead to change. But just members? 

Link

I think I screwed up my vote... iPhone jumped as the image loaded in and shifted thing or it blinked or whatever. 

Such is life. 

(shrug)

It's been four years.... might be time for an upgrade. 

On 7/18/2022 at 2:14 PM, wombat said:

I would have voted for a rule stating the seller had to state if the books were in hand or not. We are all adults. If someone wants to buy a book not in hand I don't see why anyone else would care. 

I agree that transparency is key regardless of which way the vote goes.

Like Bird, I didn’t understand the legitimate exceptions concept either but that has to do with my not chasing a hot pre-release since New Teen Titans #1, nothing to do with Domo Arigato’s fine but thankless efforts.

Would listing for a friend (but not as a consignment, merely a favor) fall under this as well? I’ve done it twice, including a current thread. In my case, I’ve done it to do something nice for someone who has been nice to me, while bringing a good book or two to the boards for a seller I would trust. I also do it in the Hope it will create a new boardie when they see their books move here.

But more importantly and more frequently we see it done by boardies to help collector friends in dire straits/poor health etc and these are often great threads all-around. Just musing out loud on the virtual page.

On 7/18/2022 at 11:02 PM, Readcomix said:

I agree that transparency is key regardless of which way the vote goes.

Like Bird, I didn’t understand the legitimate exceptions concept either but that has to do with my not chasing a hot pre-release since New Teen Titans #1, nothing to do with Domo Arigato’s fine but thankless efforts.

Would listing for a friend (but not as a consignment, merely a favor) fall under this as well? I’ve done it twice, including a current thread. In my case, I’ve done it to do something nice for someone who has been nice to me, while bringing a good book or two to the boards for a seller I would trust. I also do it in the Hope it will create a new boardie when they see their books move here.

But more importantly and more frequently we see it done by boardies to help collector friends in dire straits/poor health etc and these are often great threads all-around. Just musing out loud on the virtual page.

Listing for a friend, your Aunt, your little brother.....doesn’t matter.  It’s whether or not those people need to get those books to you before you’re permitted to list them for sale here.

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

On 7/18/2022 at 11:13 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Listing for a friend, your Aunt, your little brother.....doesn’t matter.  It’s whether or not those people need to get those books to you before you’re permitted to list them for sale here.

Thanks for clarifying! (thumbsu

I’m with @wombat; transparency is the real key. Hesitation to buy when one is concerned with the stated whereabouts of the offered book will weed out most potential problems. (I won’t say all because occasional problems always seem to find a way to worm through, despite the best collective thinking we apply to our rules.)

On 7/18/2022 at 1:14 PM, wombat said:

I would have voted for a rule stating the seller had to state if the books were in hand or not. 

How would this rule even be enforced?

No one should list something for sale that they don't have.

Can we also add another tweak to the sales section? In the title put US ONLY.

I am very weary of clicking open a sales thread to discover the seller wont ship outside the USA.

And, sellers should be required to state where they will ship to in the sales thread, equally frustrating is to find something you are interested in and post a "take-it!" to then via PM's discover the seller won't ship outside the USA though the sales thread did not specify that information.

Edited by Artboy99

On 7/19/2022 at 9:28 AM, Artboy99 said:

No one should list something for sale that they don't have.

Can we also add another tweak to the sales section? In the title put US ONLY.

I am very weary of clicking open a sales thread to discover the seller wont ship outside the USA.

And, sellers should be required to state where they will ship to in the sales thread, equally frustrating is to find something you are interested in and post a "take-it!" to then via PM's discover the seller won't ship outside the USA though the sales thread did not specify that information.

Feel free to vent about the ‘US only’ threads here: