• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some help please
1 1

16 posts in this topic

I want to get into OA collecting, but have no idea where to truly start. I decided the best way to begin would be to find a piece I'd like and go from there.

I know this is from Wolverine vol 2 issue 93, but cannot remember the page number. Could you help me out? 

Knowing who owns this page would be appreciated as well, or perhaps where I can begin to search for the owner

Thanks a ton!

Screenshot_20220710-100423_Samsung Internet.jpg

It’s going to take a lot of luck or a lot of tenacity to track down a specific page published 27 years ago.  Maybe you’ll fine another page from that run, or artist, or title, that you’ll like just as much.

You’ll want to start here: https://comicarttracker.com

and here: https://www.comicartfans.com

My suggestion is you start somewhere else. I gather Andy Kubert was the penciller for that page, and you will have a very difficult time finding any of those pages for sale (although, I gather one from a different book is available in a current auction at  Comiclink).

First, figure out how much you want to spend. I would recommend you spend less then $1,000 for your first one, and then see if you get bitten by the bug. Some of this stuff goes for over $1 million, but a lot of good art is available for under $500. Go to the thread here involving the Morlock tunnels to see examples. Be extremely careful about fraud on any eBay listing. No, that is not a real Peanuts drawing by Schulz for $500. For $500 you should be safe buying published panel pages.

@The MetaI made a few posts last year to help navigate the OA hobby as a newbie. You can take it with a grain of salt but these were some pointers in how I found many of the pieces I was after. 

Part 1

https://www.instagram.com/p/CW4KJtQvWDd/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Part 2

https://www.instagram.com/p/CW4M2LjPq6T/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

On 7/10/2022 at 6:16 PM, Xatari said:

@The MetaI made a few posts last year to help navigate the OA hobby as a newbie. You can take it with a grain of salt but these were some pointers in how I found many of the pieces I was after. 

Part 1

https://www.instagram.com/p/CW4KJtQvWDd/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Part 2

https://www.instagram.com/p/CW4M2LjPq6T/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Thanks, I don't have an instagram account though

On 7/10/2022 at 1:58 PM, Unstoppablejayd said:

Well it’s Adam Kubert - he still owns a lot of his art so I would start with his rep at essential sequential- but Be prepared that will not be cheap if he has it or if you find it

Yeah I am expecting to pay more than 1k for sure

On 7/10/2022 at 6:22 PM, The Meta said:

Yeah I am expecting to pay more than 1k for sure

Don’t think of it as just a cost item, but as a decision you may later regret if you don’t like the hobby. Many years ago, I decided that antique check embossing machines were very cool, but not yet collected and had a future, like really old typewriters (most valuable ones do not use a “QWERTY” keyboard, so skip the old Royals). So, I bought 2 of them. Well, I changed my mind. Thankfully, they were cheap, and don’t occupy much space in the closet. If you find something to buy in this market, but then change your mind, you are unlikely to get your money out at resale unless you hold it a really long time and got a surprisingly good deal on it.

On 7/11/2022 at 2:27 AM, Rick2you2 said:

Don’t think of it as just a cost item, but as a decision you may later regret if you don’t like the hobby. Many years ago, I decided that antique check embossing machines were very cool, but not yet collected and had a future, like really old typewriters (most valuable ones do not use a “QWERTY” keyboard, so skip the old Royals). So, I bought 2 of them. Well, I changed my mind. Thankfully, they were cheap, and don’t occupy much space in the closet. If you find something to buy in this market, but then change your mind, you are unlikely to get your money out at resale unless you hold it a really long time and got a surprisingly good deal on it.

When its come to art, I've always stuck with, Do I want this on my wall to display?

After having a couple of commissions done, I am grateful to have done them. 

The specific piece I've chosen here is full of two factors. 

1) Cyber. I love Cyber. I am a fan of Sam Kieth, and I know his OA is much further away from my reach than this piece

2) Adam Kubert has an approachable market. I'm betting that this particular page is something someone would be willing to let go of, considering that Cyber isn't all that popular. 

Now if I wanted pg 18 out of this particular book, I am sure the owner would have much trouble parting with it, and I'm betting the price is way out of my reach on that one.

On 7/11/2022 at 4:12 AM, The Meta said:

When its come to art, I've always stuck with, Do I want this on my wall to display?

After having a couple of commissions done, I am grateful to have done them. 

The specific piece I've chosen here is full of two factors. 

1) Cyber. I love Cyber. I am a fan of Sam Kieth, and I know his OA is much further away from my reach than this piece

2) Adam Kubert has an approachable market. I'm betting that this particular page is something someone would be willing to let go of, considering that Cyber isn't all that popular. 

Now if I wanted pg 18 out of this particular book, I am sure the owner would have much trouble parting with it, and I'm betting the price is way out of my reach on that one.

If you can get it, then by all means go for it. I just didn’t want you to suffer from I thought were not realistic expectations.

On 7/11/2022 at 5:01 AM, Rick2you2 said:

If you can get it, then by all means go for it. I just didn’t want you to suffer from I thought were not realistic expectations.

Outlining realistic expectations would be welcome :cheers:

On 7/11/2022 at 2:12 AM, The Meta said:

he's a great character. I think I might have a Wolverine page with him on it but it isn't by Andy Kubert. Last time I bought a Kubert piece it was over $2k more on the $3k side.