• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I feel like I got taken
2 2

76 posts in this topic

I sent 10 books in one 9.4  one 9.0 and one raw  and the rest  9.6. I never had any of these books pressed or cleaned and that’s the grade they Got.The raw book got pressed and clean and got a 9.2 and that’s fine I can’t do nothing else with that book. it got the grade it Got. but how is it that the books that I  send to get Pressed clean Did not even change?? one of my books grades and I understand if it was the 9.4 or the 9.0 because the only thing I could see on those books it was a little bit dirty I don’t know how they got like that. but they were like that when I got them graded but the 9.6 the books look amazing I just want to know why did I get the grade I got I pay for it twice at least I deserve that much for spending that much money. I just don’t know what’s wrong with these books I provided pictures of some of them when I send it In the first time. So you guys can see. i just don’t know what’s wrong with these books? They won’t tell me.

28981D11-293D-4162-9888-B2DF82287D93.jpeg

1ADE201A-EFA1-483F-94E2-B5C6B09C6886.jpeg

E3FAB073-9174-464A-9E3F-2EBC28AD69AF.jpeg

AD898DEA-647B-4469-816F-A032F5FBAA0E.jpeg

78D0D0B5-67F2-4E6A-8077-BD3EBBA1CB5D.jpeg

9D74C317-6ACE-4A6A-ADAE-DCECF3E72CE2.jpeg

131CA963-EFEB-4396-91A9-7CCE5471DBA5.jpeg

5A74F035-0E62-4199-9C8C-57AEC15951A1.jpeg

AD531D42-0CA1-41F9-AE15-678B33E59521.jpeg

F28875FF-E7B3-4935-8BA8-5DE35D9D934F.jpeg

7B9B1246-AF76-4D55-B423-BDD16BF528BC.jpeg

3rd party grading is an attempt to impose a standard on people's opinions. CGC's standards are a secret and people's, even those well-versed in the hobby, opinions often vary widely

Send my comic to cgc raw first time no pressed or clean got 9.6 No grader notes decided to send it to get clean and pressed and regrade and he came back the same 9.6 it would be OK if it was one book but 7 of them so I’m asking if they could tell me what’s wrong with the books I Pay so much I deserve at least that much

Well I never crack the slabs open and I send it straight to Cgc which they send it to CCS 7 of the books were already a 9.6 there was one raw the other one was a 9.4 and one 9.0  10 books in total .  for the 9.2 that I got for the Raw book and that’s OK but I just find the rest of the book strange not even one change nothing different so I’m OK with it but it’s like they didn’t even bother re-grading the books I don’t even think they got pressed or cleaned

I’m just really Upset I’ve been getting a lot of my books back from them and the grading  has just been horrible The slabs been coming back not closed right wrong labels all those rings I just been sending them back even twice sometimes I just had enough i’m scared to send any more books and I got so many stuck over there I can’t get them back I have to wait till they finish the process and I have to pay for them

I recently had purchased a book for $500 9.8 and when I tell you that book looks so bad I had those ring smudges I send the book back got the money back and can you believe that I purchased that book 2 more times with other people and it was the same thing and every time I ask them why don’t you send it back that’s an error Cgc will fix it they all say the same thing no they’ll make you pay for it and I told them no they won’t one guy said believe me they will 

Man I'm really sorry you're having such a rough go of it. If you want some honest advice document everything.

Every book I send in is photographed (front and back). At least you'll be able to have peace of mind comparing your books before and after.

It takes a bit of experience knowing when a highly graded book (and indeed 9.6 is pretty darn high) will receive a grade bump to 9.8. Some books have insurmountable flaws and will never get there.

As for the wrong labels and newton rings, I hope you didn't have to pay out of pocket to receive your books reholstered.

I think I probably send over more than 30 books back within a few months signed and non-signed every time I send a book or  2 or 15 back they take even longer the package more sloppier it’s like if it was being done on purpose I wish I would’ve never give complain about the books because now I feel like they’re doing me dirty I know that sounds crazy but it feels like it and it looks like it

On 7/11/2022 at 7:28 PM, nino70 said:

I’m just really Upset I’ve been getting a lot of my books back from them and the grading  has just been horrible The slabs been coming back not closed right wrong labels all those rings I just been sending them back even twice sometimes I just had enough i’m scared to send any more books and I got so many stuck over there I can’t get them back I have to wait till they finish the process and I have to pay for them

Hi Nino, welcome to the boards.  I understand you're upset and I'll try to answer you questions so it makes sense.

First off, some books don't benefit from cleaning and pressing.  I'd imagine you understand that.  You need to learn what defects can be pressed and identify books that can be improved and send those in and don't waste money pressing and submitting books that won't change.  You also need to learn to identify books that would improve with cleaning.  Sending books in for cleaning and pressing hoping for an improvement is expensive and isn't a winning strategy.  I don't know where you initially got these books from but is it possible they were already pressed and cleaned?

The rings are a problem.  I believe CGC has improved and the rings are a lot less common now and I believe they will re-slab cases with rings for free.  Not sure what you mean by slabs not closed right, perhaps you could show us an example.  There are problems with quality control because there is so much demand and CGC is struggling to keep up  There are numerous threads here about it and it reflects poorly on CGC and many of us are not happy.  Personally I had one book in my last submission of 30 that had the wrong label and I had to send it back.  I had a book in a previous submission that was encased poorly and was damaged.  From my limited experience I've had two problems in about 150 recently submitted books.

I'd also like to suggest you study CGC's grading.  Post some raw books in our grading forum, study high quality scans of graded books on sites like Heritage Auctions (you'll need to create an account but it's free), read and watch videos.  There's lots of information out there.  Knowing how CGC grades and accurately estimating what your books will achieve is important and will save you money.  You'll never grade exactly like CGC but you can get close.  My partner and I hit about 90% accurate on CA to MA books and rarely off by less than one grade up or down.  

On 7/11/2022 at 7:46 PM, nino70 said:

I think I probably send over more than 30 books back within a few months signed and non-signed every time I send a book or  2 or 15 back they take even longer the package more sloppier it’s like if it was being done on purpose I wish I would’ve never give complain about the books because now I feel like they’re doing me dirty I know that sounds crazy but it feels like it and it looks like it

It isn't on purpose.  CGC has expanded, I believe they doubled their space a few years ago, and they can't keep up with demand.  Tons of new hires, pressure on employees to do more, employees likely given more responsibility when they aren't ready.  Pressure causes mistakes and they are under pressure.  It's like going out for breakfast and the place is packed and there are dirty dishes on tables and waitresses and cooks make mistakes.  And it's not just CGC.  PSA, the card grading company quit taking submissions and had a backlog of 9 million cards to be graded.