• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the deal with Marvel Zombies?
1 1

33 posts in this topic

On 7/12/2022 at 6:17 AM, KCode98 said:

So would you guys say the Marvel Zombies are a staple in Marvel collecting? I know the "What if?" very well but even if it has it's own show it never was or probably will be a major collector point within the community. Is Marvel Zombies and different? 

Yes.  Just the Sean Phillips ones tho.

On 7/12/2022 at 8:55 AM, Artboy99 said:

when I am selling at comic shows I have someone asking for the first series of Marvel Zombies everytime.

On 7/11/2022 at 10:32 PM, KCode98 said:

So what is the draw of Marvel Zombies? When it came I thought it was silly but never gave it a look. What is the big deal about Marvel Zombies that still keeps it relevant today?

Its a fun series to collect. I just finished completing one with all the side stories...Zombie Deadpool, Marvel Apes and even the manga style comics.

Some of the more obscure variants are harder to find in high grade though.

The hardcover with all the covers is an awesome book to flip through. 

20220712_183511.jpg

20220712_182524.jpg

20220712_182559.jpg

20220712_183312.jpg

Their first appearance in Ultimate FF was a jaw-dropping twist in the storyline.  The first two miniseries by Kirkman are hugely entertaining (if you like really dark comedy).

Everything after that was, in my opinion, rubbish.  Unfortunately.  

All of the Suydam homage covers in the various printings of Volume One are awesome.  

On 7/12/2022 at 9:56 AM, davidpg said:

I've heard this from a few people, and it's contrary to my experience.  I was helping with advertising for the Montreal ComicCon back in 2008 when he was a guest.  I was invited to the supper with the guests (including Herb Trimpe and his family across from me...who were AMAZING people!), and I was sitting beside Art.  We started talking about things outside of comic books and art and we actually got along really well, and he was really nice.  We also went out partying after the supper and he regaled me with many stories about all the stuff he's done in his life (musician who's played with MANY big names, and other...fun things that Montreal is also known for ;) ). Maybe he's tired of the fanboy stuff, and was happy to not have to talk about art incessantly.  We had a great night!  

On topic, I love the MZ books and have since their first appearance in UFF.  The next day at the show, Art signed my hardcover and my Wolverine books he had just done covers for.  Still have all those books, and a great memory!

I just met the guy a couple of weeks ago, and he was cool with me too.

On 7/13/2022 at 4:57 PM, djzombi said:

Their first appearance in Ultimate FF was a jaw-dropping twist in the storyline. 

I'm surprised that is one of the least valuable out of them all.

On 7/13/2022 at 5:22 PM, KCode98 said:

I'm surprised that is one of the least valuable out of them all.

Ditto!  Weird that the first issue of the first miniseries goes for multiples of their actual first appearance.  
Maybe it's the cover that sells it!  

On 7/12/2022 at 8:50 AM, Cat said:

My old LCS sponsored his Australian trip for Supanova one year, for both Brisbane and Melbourne shows. He literally paid for all Suydams' flights, food, hotels, cars, other expenses. Pretty nice thing to do. He finally met Suydam, and during their conversation asked him for a sketch to display in the store. Suydam quoted him a price. Ungrateful wanker. 

His swiping art and doctoring images to make it look like he has the longest lines at shows is what I don't like.

On 7/12/2022 at 2:32 PM, KCode98 said:

Don't get "like it" confused with "want to collect it". 

Aside from dealers/flippers, I think the two should be synonymous at least in one direction. Where not everything you like is something you collect, but everything you collect should be something you like (Again, the exception being dealers/flippers) Otherwise, if you don't like it, why are you collecting it?

Edited by JC25427N

On 7/14/2022 at 8:36 AM, MR SigS said:

His swiping art and doctoring images to make it look like he has the longest lines at shows is what I don't like.

That was bad. The line thing was just sad. Who does that? Oh yeah, a raging narcissist. 

On 7/13/2022 at 1:57 PM, djzombi said:

Their first appearance in Ultimate FF was a jaw-dropping twist in the storyline.  The first two miniseries by Kirkman are hugely entertaining (if you like really dark comedy).

Everything after that was, in my opinion, rubbish.  Unfortunately.  

All of the Suydam homage covers in the various printings of Volume One are awesome.  

I have an original page from that.  I'll have to dig it out.  Inker used fingerprints to make zombie faces grubby looking.

On 7/13/2022 at 7:37 PM, JC25427N said:

Aside from dealers/flippers, I think the two should be synonymous at least in one direction. Where not everything you like is something you collect, but everything you collect should be something you like (Again, the exception being dealers/flippers) Otherwise, if you don't like it, why are you collecting it?

If you collect golf balls but ask about collecting a tennis racket even though you don't like them I could see your confusion. However this is equivalent to someone collecting Hot Wheels treasure hunt series and getting the hotdog car that in the treasure hunt series even though you don't like the hotdog car. I hope this makes sense and I really don't know how to make it make more sense to you. My avatar is Spider-Man and the hottest Marvel zombie comic is #1 with zombie Spider-Man in the same pose as AF15. So I would hope even with the most basic problem solving skills you could connect 1 + 1 as 2. If not then I dunno what to tell ya.

I read Marvel Zombies vs Army of Darkness yesterday. It was decent mashup. Some funny parts (mostly Ash & Dr Doom) and I get the allure for Marvel Zombies but I think I'm over them. Some things don't get old after multiple sequels (Predator movies!) but Marvel Zombies have run their course in my opinion.