• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the deal with Marvel Zombies?
1 1

33 posts in this topic

I don't know if it's actually culturally relevant as it's about 15 years too late, but a lot of people weren't on this planet 15 years ago, so zombies might be new to them, which means there are new people to sell things to without anyone having to work too hard at creating fresh stuff. Zombies popped up in the What If animated series and they're going to have their own series now I guess. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by KirbyTown

I read the first couple of series' - thought they were fun and the art is killer. I'm not a huge zombie fan (just your normal zombie fan) and I thought they were great. I thought the What If episode was excellent with the Marvel Zombies, glad they are doing more with them.

On 7/11/2022 at 7:32 PM, KCode98 said:

So what is the draw of Marvel Zombies? When it came I thought it was silly but never gave it a look. What is the big deal about Marvel Zombies that still keeps it relevant today?

the stories are interesting and absurd and sean phillips artwork is top notch.
I did the math once tho and the marvel zombies would have to have eaten 65,000 people per second to wipe all humans off earth in the timeline given-and the fact they dont digest anything further pins the BS meter.

Walking Dead had become popular, so a degree of jumping on the same bandwagon. An interesting and bizarre idea, which was good for a few initial, short series before repetition and disinterest set in, for me, anyway. As stated, Sean Phillips was a great match, art-wise.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 7/11/2022 at 10:03 PM, KirbyTown said:

I don't know if it's actually culturally relevant as it's about 15 years too late, but a lot of people weren't on this planet 15 years ago, so zombies might be new to them, which means there are new people to sell things to without anyone having to work too hard at creating fresh stuff. Zombies popped up in the What If animated series and they're going to have their own series now I guess. 🤷‍♂️

This is my understanding as well, the Marvel Zombies were to get their own show :cheers: 

The first one is actually a fun story, with, as others have said, great art, and fun covers by A***** S***** (not saying his name because he's a massive wanker). It's just a fun complete package. 

For years there was a veto on merchandising of any sort on it, after a few Minimates and figures had been produced. That's off the table now, with them being seen on What If?, Captain America getting a Marvel Legends figure, and who knows what else. So now there's rekindled interest in it. 

Edited by Cat

So would you guys say the Marvel Zombies are a staple in Marvel collecting? I know the "What if?" very well but even if it has it's own show it never was or probably will be a major collector point within the community. Is Marvel Zombies and different? 

On 7/12/2022 at 8:17 AM, KCode98 said:

So would you guys say the Marvel Zombies are a staple in Marvel collecting? I know the "What if?" very well but even if it has it's own show it never was or probably will be a major collector point within the community. Is Marvel Zombies and different? 

Probably not or probably too hard to say or even probably too early 😜

If I'm honest it has the same chance as what if, but given some what if " values" I think it a misnomer to say it doesn't have a following. Look at Jane foster and venom Deadpool for reference. To say there won't be others is not, imo, correct, but the fact that so far what if has more collectivity than zombies at the moment answers your question!

The first mini was a lot of fun, but it was diminishing returns as Marvel (predictably) beat it into the ground. Still, a zombie Spider-Man or Cap or whoever, covered in gore and eating brains, is always going to be a fun and amusing image. Used sparingly, it's still a fun idea.

On 7/12/2022 at 7:40 AM, Cat said:

The first one is actually a fun story, with, as others have said, great art, and fun covers by A***** S***** (not saying his name because he's a massive wanker). It's just a fun complete package. 

I've heard this from a few people, and it's contrary to my experience.  I was helping with advertising for the Montreal ComicCon back in 2008 when he was a guest.  I was invited to the supper with the guests (including Herb Trimpe and his family across from me...who were AMAZING people!), and I was sitting beside Art.  We started talking about things outside of comic books and art and we actually got along really well, and he was really nice.  We also went out partying after the supper and he regaled me with many stories about all the stuff he's done in his life (musician who's played with MANY big names, and other...fun things that Montreal is also known for ;) ). Maybe he's tired of the fanboy stuff, and was happy to not have to talk about art incessantly.  We had a great night!  

On topic, I love the MZ books and have since their first appearance in UFF.  The next day at the show, Art signed my hardcover and my Wolverine books he had just done covers for.  Still have all those books, and a great memory!

On 7/13/2022 at 12:56 AM, davidpg said:

I've heard this from a few people, and it's contrary to my experience.  I was helping with advertising for the Montreal ComicCon back in 2008 when he was a guest.  I was invited to the supper with the guests (including Herb Trimpe and his family across from me...who were AMAZING people!), and I was sitting beside Art.  We started talking about things outside of comic books and art and we actually got along really well, and he was really nice.  We also went out partying after the supper and he regaled me with many stories about all the stuff he's done in his life (musician who's played with MANY big names, and other...fun things that Montreal is also known for ;) ). Maybe he's tired of the fanboy stuff, and was happy to not have to talk about art incessantly.  We had a great night!  

On topic, I love the MZ books and have since their first appearance in UFF.  The next day at the show, Art signed my hardcover and my Wolverine books he had just done covers for.  Still have all those books, and a great memory!

My old LCS sponsored his Australian trip for Supanova one year, for both Brisbane and Melbourne shows. He literally paid for all Suydams' flights, food, hotels, cars, other expenses. Pretty nice thing to do. He finally met Suydam, and during their conversation asked him for a sketch to display in the store. Suydam quoted him a price. Ungrateful wanker. 

Edited by Cat

On 7/12/2022 at 10:55 AM, Artboy99 said:

when I am selling at comic shows I have someone asking for the first series of Marvel Zombies everytime.

Happy Birthday! Mine is in two days!! Tucson Fireworks GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

image.thumb.png.8f6ba31e917988bcb91208cc3733d0cb.png

I think very generally, zombies have always been reasonably popular within the crowd that also tends to enjoy comics.  But in the last 15 years, with the Walking Dead there's obviously been a boost in zombie popularity and to a lesser extent Resident Evil.  Mix that with a huge boom in Marvel properties popularity due to the movies, and it doesn't surprise me that there's a solid subsection of fans who like Marvel Zombies. 

Maybe its more (or less) than that with regards to art or specific storytelling, but I don't know if there's a ton of value in overthinking it more than that, unless someone is trying to write a grad school dissertation on it or they work at Disney/Marvel in the creative department.

On 7/12/2022 at 9:17 AM, KCode98 said:

I'm curious so forgive me if this sounds a bit aggressive, I don't mean it to be

You didn't like the Marvel Zombies series I'm assuming since you said you found it silly, but if it were the case that some plurality of the comic collecting community considered it a "staple" in Marvel collecting you would suddenly like it/want to collect it?

Also just on a tangent, I don't agree with the concept of "staples" (with the meaning of "one of the most important things in a certain field") when it comes to collectables as a general concept. Usually gives off the connotation that whatever it is you have that is missing those "staples" is lesser. Like a farm that doesn't grow the staple crops for that area/region will not be successful as one who does. 

When it comes to something more specific like perhaps specifically a collection of a certain series or genre, I can see certain key issues being staples meaning every X collector should have this since it's such an iconic/key/important issue in X. But for broad/general things like "Marvel Comics" I wouldn't agree with anything being a "staple"

Edited by JC25427N

On 7/12/2022 at 1:44 PM, JC25427N said:

I'm curious so forgive me if this sounds a bit aggressive, I don't mean it to be

You didn't like the Marvel Zombies series I'm assuming since you said you found it silly, but if it were the case that some plurality of the comic collecting community considered it a "staple" in Marvel collecting you would suddenly like it/want to collect it?

Don't get "like it" confused with "want to collect it".