• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What’s your SDCC experience?
1 1

12 posts in this topic

When it comes to getting your comic books signed and witnessed, what’s your experience been like at SDCC? I’ve been to a good amount of convention across the US but this will be my first time going to SDCC. What should I expect? Will it be more difficult? Will it take more time? Should I not bother with it and give my book to CGC to get signed privately and spend my time doing other things? Thanks!

On 7/12/2022 at 11:21 AM, hguy93 said:

When it comes to getting your comic books signed and witnessed, what’s your experience been like at SDCC? I’ve been to a good amount of convention across the US but this will be my first time going to SDCC. What should I expect? Will it be more difficult? Will it take more time? Should I not bother with it and give my book to CGC to get signed privately and spend my time doing other things? Thanks!

Welcome to the boards! :cheers: 

Who knows what to specifically expect this year, but in the past it would be the crowds and tons of lines. The good stuff would be limited collectables and the fun stuff would be comics and artists/creators/writers and etc. Plenty to do and discover, and while I've never been to SDCC specifically, it's good to plan these things out best you can. You'll discover, ahem, more to discover every year! lol:banana: 

Feel free to tell us how it went. The answers to your question is crowds, then specifically transportation, lodging and etc. If you have those covered why not join the fun? Over crowding shouldn't be to much of a discouragement, as the crowds wouldn't ever be low enough to sample everything.

If your aware and like what comic cons have to offer, give it a try!

Haven’t been to SDCC hoping to go one day but from going to cons in Canada it depends on how u want to spend ur time and how much cash you have. If you want to free up your time and experience other things than standing in line and waiting for signatures with a cgc witness I would do the hand off for the private signings. So you can enjoy the rest of the show. Some people like meeting the artists in person and having them sign it but It’s all based on your preference and enjoyment .

Have fun and post any cool fun stuff 

I went in 95, 97 and 99. Back then you could just show up and buy a ticket at the door. lol Even then, SDCC was way better than any con around. Neil Gaiman did a midnight reading at one of them. Got to meet most of my favorite artists and writers. There was still over 100,000 people and lots of cool things to buy. You're going to have a good time. I wouldn't waste too much time with CGC, otherwise you might have to skip some of the good stuff. 

I haven't been to SDCC since 2012 and before that I was last there in 1996.  Back in the late 80's early 90's it was very easy to get books signed.  Lines were not long and most of the artists or tv/movie stars were not charging for autographs.  I have a sketchbook that has autographs/small sketches from Julie Newmar, David Prowse, Jim Lee, Todd McFarlane, John Byrne, Chris Claremont, Ben Dunn, Amanda Conner, Kevin Eastman and a bunch of others.  I was also able to pick up commissioned sketches from Dave Dorman, Ron Lim, and a few others.   

Those were the days to go, when 90% of the booths were comic related.  Now it is more a media event, then comic books show.

Psy

I went to the third one and almost every one up until about 5 years ago. I finally gave it up. WAY to expensive, WAY to many huge crowds and very little to do with comics or comics collecting. Maybe I grew away from it or maybe it outgrew me. And I only live a couple hours away. 

That being said, there is no other experience like it. Everyone should experience it at least once.

No way would I go to to get signatures. You will have very little or any interaction with the signer. Basically, a money grab business transaction now days. Hours in line is a real waste of time as far as I’m concerned. Better things to see and do.

Bring LOTS of money and patience. Have fun and let us know with a show and picture report if you can.

Here is what it used to be like. A truly magical time…:sorry:

3C5ABD90-5347-4356-A695-1AB16B298507.jpeg

1770B7ED-C5EA-4C94-9101-B9938C49C08B.jpeg

I suspect the process is the same, get CGC to go with you when you get in line or message them etc, however depending on the creator, lines may be longer = longer waiting for a signature.

I dropped of my books for Campbell because I didn't want to waste the time in line and valued it more than the additional fee that CGC would charge

unless you want something specific (color, personalize) then I would suggest using the drop off. Too much to see and do to waste in line. If this was any other con, then I'd say wait but this is SDCC, and you'll regret it when you get back home that you didn't take time to see as much as possible

On 7/12/2022 at 9:21 AM, hguy93 said:

Just wanted to update everyone on how it went in case you were curious. 

First, thank you all for your responses!

I had a great time at SDCC 2022 (my first time). I spent 1 and a half convention days getting signatures for my books. There were breaks in between signatures when I’d go look around or go to a panel so I wasn’t in a line all day. I enjoy meeting comic book writers/artists so I didn’t mind getting the books signed myself versus just dropping them off at the CGC booth. The lines for the comic writers/artists were not bad at all.  I’ve seen much longer at other conventions.   CGC was great! I got to know some of the witnesses and they were very helpful and VERY patient. It was easy to get a witness when I needed one. Some of the bigger creators/artists had a witness stationed at their booth when they were signing. CGC made the process very smooth and easy, as long as you know what you’re doing (i.e. know to get a witness before hand).
I still had 2 and a half convention days to explore the floor which I believe was plenty of time. I even had time to go to a few panels I wanted to see as well.

Overall, it was awesome! I can’t wait to go again!