• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C-Link and Heritage auctions a flop tonight?
4 4

50 posts in this topic

On 7/14/2022 at 12:20 PM, cstojano said:

So is this a bad time to send stuff to Prop Store for their London auction? I suppose if the bidders are international it doesn't matter much,  as stuff is cheaper for us in the US to bid in GBP. Ignore global macro trends, mostly focused on whether the weak GBP necessarily means weaker USD in my pocket. I think it should in some way.

It will also be dependent on what you send, and the makeup of the audience. But on balance, I would agree.

A lot of shows, the stuff being offered (for me) was ok ... nothing super.  There is a new C-Link auction starting today I think and SDCC is coming up.  Not sure you can read anything into this one instance.

On 7/14/2022 at 11:58 AM, Rick2you2 said:

Window shopping can be an indication of tight money.

Honestly, nothing interested me in either auction - except the Star Wars page - and I figured it would be out of reach - and I already have a better page from that issue.

Edited by Michael Browning

On 7/14/2022 at 5:01 AM, Rick2you2 said:

I won a little Stuart Immonen page with the Phantom Stranger and Spectre, which is fairly nice but no world beater, and I thought the price was a little on the high side (but in this price range, percentages of high or low don’t mean much). What did strike me based on the bid pattern was that after an initial burst of low end bidding, there seemed to be only one other serious bidder. Admittedly not popular characters, but that spread would still support your apparent thesis that bidding interest seemed low. 

I love that page, though I didn't end up bidding on it. It's a prime example of the importance of word balloons - the first, third, and fourth panels are nice (heck, they're all great), but "I assume he saw something in the mirror?" is a line I still remember from the first time I read the book.

Edited by MOStateSuperman
they're all great panels

On 7/14/2022 at 1:46 PM, MOStateSuperman said:

I love that page, though I didn't end up bidding on it. It's a prime example of the importance of word balloons - the first, third, and fourth panels are nice (heck, they're all great), but "I assume he saw something in the mirror?" is a line I still remember from the first time I read the book.

Thank you. It is almost the only thing I buy (Phantom Stranger art). It is also the only PS piece I have seen of his for sale. I am always looking for more artists to add (although, I do have quite a few of them by now).

On 7/14/2022 at 4:16 PM, grapeape said:

Mike Burkey took the air out of those auction rooms with the 53 piece $3,000,000 SDCC art preview with Bill Cox a few nights ago.

I'm not supposed to criticize the shows anymore lest I find myself permanently blacklisted by certain dealers, but is there ever a time when Burkey doesn't take the air out of room?

On 7/14/2022 at 5:42 PM, Race said:

I'm not supposed to criticize the shows anymore lest I find myself permanently blacklisted by certain dealers, but is there ever a time when Burkey doesn't take the air out of room?

What does it matter? You like it, you bid on if you can afford. If there are a lot of good things, budget or pick accordingly. It’s just stuff.

The only thing I think that is ever likely to suck the air out of a room, is living, breathing, and not shaped like Mike Burkey (no offense intended).

On 7/14/2022 at 10:51 AM, Fischb1 said:

Last night, all at the same time, I was watching:

1) The CL auction

2) The Heritage auction

3) Dueling Dealers

4) Spencer selling art livestream on Clan Mcdonald

Like J said, there was a lot going on and not much room for impulse buys.

That being said, although there were some lower prices, there were also some higher prices. Did you see what that Galactus page went for? 

Ha, funny you mention that... I had texted a board member this image of my computer screen last night.  I had Heritage, Comiclink, and Dueling Dealers going on with TV over the computer to watch in between and Amazon Prime Day going on.

It was a busy evening. 

1729994191_ScreenShot2022-07-13at8_04_52PM.thumb.png.2b5b8313977cf050bde30c9f39435b7d.png

Edited by Buzzetta

On 7/14/2022 at 1:53 PM, G.A.tor said:

Point me to all the cheap silver surfer pages please ! :wishluck:

I've been looking for well over a year.  You keep outbidding me. 

On 7/14/2022 at 6:17 PM, Buzzetta said:

Ha, funny you mention that... I had texted a board member this image of my computer screen last night.  I had Heritage, Comiclink, and Dueling Dealers going on with TV over the computer to watch in between and Amazon Prime Day going on.

It was a busy evening. 

1729994191_ScreenShot2022-07-13at8_04_52PM.thumb.png.2b5b8313977cf050bde30c9f39435b7d.png

Have you considered medication? 👀

On 7/14/2022 at 2:42 PM, Race said:

If I know these guys, they’ll still take your money no matter what you say about them. In your case, the asking price might have a hidden punishment feelol

On 7/14/2022 at 3:01 AM, Rick2you2 said:

I won a little Stuart Immonen page with the Phantom Stranger and Spectre, which is fairly nice but no world beater, and I thought the price was a little on the high side (but in this price range, percentages of high or low don’t mean much). What did strike me based on the bid pattern was that after an initial burst of low end bidding, there seemed to be only one other serious bidder. Admittedly not popular characters, but that spread would still support your apparent thesis that bidding interest seemed low. 

It’s actually a nice piece Rick. Congrats.

what kind of material was Spencer selling? is this something he's been doing for a while? 

On 7/14/2022 at 10:51 AM, Fischb1 said:

4) Spencer selling art livestream on Clan Mcdonald

On 7/15/2022 at 6:19 AM, Rick2you2 said:

Thank you, the art is good, just wish it had a little more activity. The Spectre looks best. 

So then I ask the crowd to evaluate my purchase and to be honest.  I mostly lurk here and learn in the art section. I never know if I underpaid or overpaid.  I had picked up the Michael Walsh Spider-man page for $804 + tax and shipping from PP Spectacular Spider-man 6 (whatever series.)

Appeal was the retelling of part of Spider-man's origin as a Spider-man collector. 

RAD7D1BF202261_111330.thumb.jpg.7a8a1241e9861786dcb54517ef1ec9c7.jpg

On 7/15/2022 at 9:53 AM, Buzzetta said:

So then I ask the crowd to evaluate my purchase and to be honest.  I mostly lurk here and learn in the art section. I never know if I underpaid or overpaid.  I had picked up the Michael Walsh Spider-man page for $804 + tax and shipping from PP Spectacular Spider-man 6 (whatever series.)

Appeal was the retelling of part of Spider-man's origin as a Spider-man collector. 

RAD7D1BF202261_111330.thumb.jpg.7a8a1241e9861786dcb54517ef1ec9c7.jpg

Do you like it? Then it was a bargain. Taste is very personalized. 
The two things I look at first are how well the page tells part of the story, and do I like the artist’s style for the story. Those are almost intuitive. Then, I look at details, like characters present, action sequencing, emotional impact, and detailing, including panel layout.
Without knowing the dialog, I can’t address the first one, but the panel breakdown suggests the artist had something specific in mind. That’s good. As for the artistic style, it isn’t my favorite for a character like this, but that doesn’t make it bad. 
Knowing nothing about the market, but given the characters on it and my above thoughts, I think you did nicely. But since you presumably didn’t buy it to flip, price doesn’t matter anyway.

Good job.