• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Error Variants
3 3

19 posts in this topic

I sent in a Batman 608 second printing in my last submission and I clearly identified it as an error variant in the submission form. The 4th wrap in that book is in the wrong place, which is a known error variant for that book. When it showed up in my submissions after getting to CGC I found that it is just listed in the system as a 608 second printing with no mention of it being an error variant. I called a couple of times to get it fixed early since I would be pretty ticked off if it was slabbed and not identified correctly, but nothing has changed in the system yet.

This was my first time sending in an error variant and it occurred to me that maybe the error is not checked and entered into the system until it is graded. So my question for those who have submitted error variants before is: when is the error variant part identified in the system? Should it be there right away, or is it done at the grading stage?

Thank you very much in advance to those who respond and help me out with this one :) 

On 7/14/2022 at 7:51 AM, The Meta said:

I sent in a Canadian price variant, labeled it twice on the sub form, and they still missed it

So yeah 

An error variant is a bit different though since it needs to be checked on the inside. The price is visible from the outside.

I am in Canada and send in a lot of CPVs, and I feel your pain. It seems they are identified as being CPVs for some books and not others. 

On 7/14/2022 at 7:55 AM, KirbyTown said:

Were you able to talk to anyone?

I talked to people twice when I called in and both times they said they would send a note or something, but nothing has changed in the system. Both times I also brought up that I was charged incorrectly (this order and another was missing my 10% discount) and the credit has not shown up either. I am not sure what all is involved in the process but it seems to take a while for things to move even after calling. 

In my experience, prepare to be....

On 7/14/2022 at 7:41 AM, Stefan_W said:

pretty ticked off

It's hit and miss. 

I have had them do it correctly, and had them miss it even after setting it up properly, notes all over the comic, correctly entered on the submission form, (if it is in the their system as an error), or hand written in red marker ON the submission form, etc.  Then you call to explain that it is incorrect and you would like it to read properly.  Messages back and forth, more waiting.  Then they might offer to do a Mechanical Error to fix it.  Shipping it back and more waiting.  Hopefully comes back right the second time.  What a waste.

The error I usually deal with is the distorted blue hologram on the Fatal Attraction series, Wolverine, X-Men, X-Factor, etc.  The hologram as manufactured is usually a gold/amber color, but has been found in smaller numbers to be a bold blue.  Also other shades - green, combinations of blue and green, varying saturation of blue, all the way up to a solid black (still called blue).  Wolverine 75 is probably the most frequently submitted of the group because it is a significant issue even without the error.  Getting it designated on that one is still a process, but easier than the other 5 issues.

Call, ask to have it relabeled properly.  They will send you a mailing label and all you have to do is fill out a Mechanical Error submission then mail it back.

On 7/14/2022 at 1:51 PM, Stronguy said:

Call, ask to have it relabeled properly.  They will send you a mailing label and all you have to do is fill out a Mechanical Error submission then mail it back.

He doesn't have it yet.  He's trying to be proactive and get it set up in the system correctly, or be 100% assured that it will be designated as an error comic. 

It's still showing as no different than a regular comic, and he is getting justifiably nervous about it, not wanting to have it done incorrectly, big hassle fixing it. 

Can't blame him.  Who wants to go through that hassle and waiting, when it could all be avoided up front.  If someone at CGC keyed it into the system as an error, he might feel a bit more confident that it is coming out the door correctly.

Edited by Lightning55

On 7/14/2022 at 1:59 PM, Lightning55 said:

He doesn't have it yet.  He's trying to be proactive and get it set up in the system correctly, or be 100% assured that it will be designated as an error comic. 

It's still showing as no different than a regular comic, and he is getting justifiably nervous about it, not wanting to have it done incorrectly, big hassle fixing it. 

Can't blame him.  Who wants to go through that hassle and waiting, when it could all be avoided up front.  If someone at CGC keyed it into the system as an error, he might feel a bit more confident that it is coming out the door correctly.

Yeah.

I am in Canada so if it goes through this way the cost to CGC to ship it back for an ME is ridiculously high. Even then it is not just a re-slab since they need to confirm the error inside the actual book. That is a crazy amount of effort, and added risk to the book, compared with someone going into the system and typing out "error variant" in under 5 seconds. It just seems best on all sides to get ahead of it and fix it first but it has been three weeks since my first attempt to contact them, and almost two weeks since my second, and nothing has happened yet. I figure there is only a month or so left give or take before this batch is graded. 

On 7/14/2022 at 12:59 PM, Lightning55 said:

Ah.  I missed that.  Good luck with getting them to update that.  I have called on several items in the past and they NEVER get them corrected.  I have always had to do a Mechanical Error return.

I have had 3 errors go in, and got 3 different results. 

One got entered correctly, went through perfectly.  One did not get entered correctly, I caught it, like the OP.  I had to message and call, and message and call, etc. and then it got corrected online before grading, came through ok.  One got entered correctly right away, came through wrong, had to do the Mech Error thing. 

For that, they sent a UPS NEXT DAY label, fixed it in 2 weeks, sent it back NEXT DAY.  Add up the extra CGC costs - 2 overnight labels (that sounds cheap...NOT), unpacking the ME box, cracking the slab, new label, new slab, repacking.  Ouch. 

And my time packing it, dropping at UPS, waiting for the correction, etc.  What a huge abomination.  In my case, the cost of all of this was approaching the total worth of the comic.  Why can't people just do things right???

"Step right up and spin the wheel of fortune!"  It's like a carny show.

Not knowing the error itself, I've had Mark Jewelers and diamond inserts that I've put in the notes shown when received.

That said, they change when the grader gets a hold of them and those notations disappear only to have them reappear after grading, but not in the submission title as when they are received; instead in the notes only

I have a bagged upc spiderman 1 that Im holding because I dont trust that they will be able to signify that its a bagged upc variant and not the regular one

I get to keep my money I guess, but it would be easier just to have faith the system works

That, and the other 74 books I'm withholding on subbing while shenanigans are going on right now 

I know you are supposed to send the comic in without the bag, but what if you sent it still sealed?  Would they open it and note polybag removed?  I don't know.

Of course if you did that, you haven't had a chance to really LOOK at the comic.  It may have defects you didn't see through the polybag.  If it's just little stuff, I guess you could have them press it first.

It seems the same actual comic is produced bagged and un-bagged?  If that's the case, it is unfortunate.  No forward thinking there.  The polybag was just to protect it and/or add marketing graphics?  Usually things that are polybagged contain something, like a card or a poster.

I started reading this article about it, got a headache not long in: https://rarecomics.wordpress.com/2021/03/23/spider-man-1-1990-newsstand-variants-versus-the-rest/

• Administrator
On 7/14/2022 at 3:04 PM, Stefan_W said:

Yeah.

I am in Canada so if it goes through this way the cost to CGC to ship it back for an ME is ridiculously high. Even then it is not just a re-slab since they need to confirm the error inside the actual book. That is a crazy amount of effort, and added risk to the book, compared with someone going into the system and typing out "error variant" in under 5 seconds. It just seems best on all sides to get ahead of it and fix it first but it has been three weeks since my first attempt to contact them, and almost two weeks since my second, and nothing has happened yet. I figure there is only a month or so left give or take before this batch is graded. 

PM me your submission number, your customer id number, and the exact info that you would like corrected, and I will do my best to make it happen.

Mike

On 7/14/2022 at 8:30 PM, CGC Mike said:

PM me your submission number, your customer id number, and the exact info that you would like corrected, and I will do my best to make it happen.

Mike

Will do, thank you very much!

On 7/14/2022 at 8:23 PM, Lightning55 said:

I know you are supposed to send the comic in without the bag, but what if you sent it still sealed?  Would they open it and note polybag removed?  I don't know.

Of course if you did that, you haven't had a chance to really LOOK at the comic.  It may have defects you didn't see through the polybag.  If it's just little stuff, I guess you could have them press it first.

It seems the same actual comic is produced bagged and un-bagged?  If that's the case, it is unfortunate.  No forward thinking there.  The polybag was just to protect it and/or add marketing graphics?  Usually things that are polybagged contain something, like a card or a poster.

I started reading this article about it, got a headache not long in: https://rarecomics.wordpress.com/2021/03/23/spider-man-1-1990-newsstand-variants-versus-the-rest/

I have to send it in the polybag to be noted that it was in a polybag to begin with, I can't just state it was polybagged

Normally, like say with Morbius 1 or Xforce 1, you can either remove the bag or leave it, it doesn't matter, as all copies were produced with a bag

In this case, the bag is important due to possible print numbers