• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Terrifying Tales #13 - Result is in...
2 2

12 posts in this topic

this is a little tricky b/c I can't find a great reference to compare with. The cover looks very nice. It does appear there is some wear around the edges. It does not appear bad. There's something around the 2nd O in VOODOO. Something to the right of TERRIFYING. I'm looking at that bottom edge and I can tell if there's some fraying, some fading of if it's mostly the coloration of the art, which has some texture. The back look like it's browning quite a bit, which would not be surprising for a 70-year-old book. I know there are some allowances made for Golden Age books when comparted with Silver/Bronze/Copper/Modern, but I have 0 first-hand experience with this. Because of the uncertainty, I am going to give a wider range than usual. 7.0±1.0. If the bottom edge is an issue, I'd go lower, if it's not damage and it got the GA-discount, a 7.5 of an outside shot at 8.0. Very cool book there.

Tanning appears to be the book's biggest flaw. Pics don't allow for a lot of detail and I'd like to see the interior cover and pages to understand the extent of the tanning.

Still, I'd guess a 7.0/7.5, likely no higher than an 8.0.

Really neat book. Thanks for sharing.

In case anyone was wondering if you should buy books off of ebay (and I did this years ago) here's how it came back...

4.5 CREAM TO OFF-WHITE

Comic Description:
Terrifying Tales 13 6/53 Star Publications

Grader Notes:
tear bottom of whole book
tear left center of back cover
cover tanning
moderate creasing to cover
pieces added right bottom front cover C-1
small amount of color touch on top & right center & bottom & full left front cover

small piece out top of back cover

Oof, sorry. Jaime, can you see the structural stuff being described in the notes? 

I’m on a phone and can’t see much, but if I zoom way in I think I can see some of the color touch. There’s creasing along the bottom edge (under/to the right of the word ‘FIRE!!’) which seems to disappear in the black areas. These black covers were unfortunately a magnet for color touch back in the day… black was the easiest color by far to match.

On 8/11/2022 at 3:27 PM, Point Five said:

Oof, sorry. Jaime, can you see the structural stuff being described in the notes? 

I’m on a phone and can’t see much, but if I zoom way in I think I can see some of the color touch. There’s creasing along the bottom edge (under/to the right of the word ‘FIRE!!’) which seems to disappear in the black areas. These black covers were unfortunately a magnet for color touch back in the day… black was the easiest color by far to match.

I haven't gotten the book back yet, but I will post more pics soon when they return