• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you cut from your collection this week and why?
4 4

35 posts in this topic

As collectors we tend to add new books to our collections, but there are also times we subtract as well.  

Tell us what you moved on & why?

This week I moved on my run of the first 8 issues of the Daredevil 1998 Marvel Knights run by Quesada & film maker Kevin Smith. I've decided I just want Frank Miller Daredevil's in my collection and the neighbouring short box is reaching maximum capacity so I also wanted to make room rather than do a big reorganisation.

While Quesada's art is cool, I never liked Smith's comic book writing. In hindsight I shouldn't have expected someone famous for indie slacker comedies to write entertaining superhero adventure stories. I found his run boring and the catholic turmoil wasn't interesting to me. Humour is his strength but it was a serious story. 

DD1.thumb.jpg.1242eb8079cd99fc89525eff12d9f216.jpg

Over to you...

On 7/18/2022 at 3:50 PM, MattTheDuck said:

I moved a copy of Spider-Woman #2 on to a Boardie who needed it to help complete his run.

That's good of you :) 

I was thinking a common reason to take books out of your collection is to sell and use the money for acquisitions & upgrades

On 7/18/2022 at 7:32 AM, thunsicker said:

I recently moved a tranche of my Schomburg covers as my children had been pestering me to get rid of comics I own that have worrying racial stereotypes on the covers.  (Whitewash Jones/WW II Japanese).

Have they said anything about covers that sexualize women (if you own any)? 

On 7/18/2022 at 10:09 AM, CAHokie said:

Have they said anything about covers that sexualize women (if you own any)? 

Not really.  I have some of Schomburg's cheesecake covers.  

3107131941211.jpg

But I'm not sure they sexualize women any more than this sexualizes men

0307142304511.jpg

That said, it is something I want to keep in mind.  

On 7/17/2022 at 8:19 PM, MattrixAlien said:

As collectors we tend to add new books to our collections, but there are also times we subtract as well.  

Tell us what you moved on & why?

This week I moved on my run of the first 8 issues of the Daredevil 1998 Marvel Knights run by Quesada & film maker Kevin Smith. I've decided I just want Frank Miller Daredevil's in my collection and the neighbouring short box is reaching maximum capacity so I also wanted to make room rather than do a big reorganisation.

While Quesada's art is cool, I never liked Smith's comic book writing. In hindsight I shouldn't have expected someone famous for indie slacker comedies to write entertaining superhero adventure stories. I found his run boring and the catholic turmoil wasn't interesting to me. Humour is his strength but it was a serious story. 

DD1.thumb.jpg.1242eb8079cd99fc89525eff12d9f216.jpg

Over to you...

I think this is an interesting question and one that I contemplate regularly. For me I occasionally go through my collection and consider if titles that I own still appeal to me or my current tastes, as they evolve. The older I get, the more I realize that I am a Silver Age collector and titles more recent than that do not hold the same appeal. I still have LOTS of post-Silver books that I keep for various reasons, but the sentimental value on those books is fading and as it does, those move on from my collection.

On 7/18/2022 at 9:32 PM, thunsicker said:

I recently moved a tranche of my Schomburg covers as my children had been pestering me to get rid of comics I own that have worrying racial stereotypes on the covers.  (Whitewash Jones/WW II Japanese).

Interesting reason to move them on. Did you sell or pass them onto someone who would appreciate them for free?

On 7/20/2022 at 5:25 PM, MattrixAlien said:

Interesting reason to move them on. Did you sell or pass them onto someone who would appreciate them for free?

I wish I could say I just passed them on, but as it was somewhere in the $15k to $20k range for all the comics I needed to move I ended up selling them through MCS.

I swore off selling this year… but… I’d love to pare down some more things via local sales.  I think I’d enjoy the simplicity of not dealing with PayPal and once the buyer inspects the item and makes the exchange -  what’s done is done.

On 7/21/2022 at 12:28 PM, Buzzetta said:

I swore off selling this year… but… I’d love to pare down some more things via local sales.  I think I’d enjoy the simplicity of not dealing with PayPal and once the buyer inspects the item and makes the exchange -  what’s done is done.

I'm selling from now until the sun sets..  It will always be through a 3rd party, Comiclink, Comicconect, MCS.  I just want to give them the books and let them do the shipping and collecting the money.  This is still going to be a long process. I will never get through all of the books I have.  I'm still buying stuff, I read moderns and I like the fun of some auctions when I win a book and flip it on one of the other sites and sometimes double my money.   Except for a few books I am just putting them into auctions, whatever they sell for is fine with me. 

On 7/21/2022 at 12:54 PM, toro said:

I'm selling from now until the sun sets..  It will always be through a 3rd party, Comiclink, Comicconect, MCS.  I just want to give them the books and let them do the shipping and collecting the money.  This is still going to be a long process. I will never get through all of the books I have.  I'm still buying stuff, I read moderns and I like the fun of some auctions when I win a book and flip it on one of the other sites and sometimes double my money.   Except for a few books I am just putting them into auctions, whatever they sell for is fine with me. 

I’m debating doing the same.  Just list them again on Clink and Comic Connect and be done with quite a bit of it. 

On 7/21/2022 at 12:56 PM, Robot Man said:

That’s to bad. Just the on going lack of history in today’s society. You can’t change it and probably shouldn’t. Things should stand as artifacts of the times we lived in and a reminder for the future.

No way would I cave in and give up my Schommys. Or my PCH or even my “offensive” Bugs Bunny FC 250 just to placate others.

Make sure they never get any of that “dirty money” you got for them. 

I probably should have tried to compromise and just not display those comics anymore.  But I can understand their reluctance to walk their black friends past stuff like this:
Item #56003383 Front Cover: Spirit Weekly Newspaper Comic #Apr 6 1941 CGC 5.0

On 7/21/2022 at 1:00 PM, Buzzetta said:

I’m debating doing the same.  Just list them again on Clink and Comic Connect and be done with quite a bit of it. 

It just makes life easier, one big package sent out to one place.  You don't have to chase down the dead beats who don't pay or deal with the scam artists on Ebay.  Sit back and watch the bags of money roll in.  Getting Rich GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

On 7/21/2022 at 1:04 PM, toro said:

It just makes life easier, one big package sent out to one place.  You don't have to chase down the dead beats who don't pay or deal with the scam artists on Ebay.  Sit back and watch the bags of money roll in.  Getting Rich GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

You know, the older I get, I realize that money ain’t as important as what you do with it…