• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you cut from your collection this week and why?
4 4

35 posts in this topic

On 7/21/2022 at 10:56 AM, Robot Man said:

That’s to bad. Just the on going lack of history in today’s society. You can’t change it and probably shouldn’t. Things should stand as artifacts of the times we lived in and a reminder for the future.

No way would I cave in and give up my Schommys. Or my PCH or even my “offensive” Bugs Bunny FC 250 just to placate others.

Make sure they never get any of that “dirty money” you got for them. 

Everyone gets to make their own decisions, but while I love Winsor McCay there is no way I'd display jungle imp racial caricatures on my wall. They are offensive and I why would I want to make people feel uncomfortable in my home?  

I remember Mitch Mehdy talking about how he sold the original art of Master Race because it was not the kind of thing you display on a wall. I'm not sure I agree with him, but he's older than me and maybe he knew Holocaust survivors, but I can't imagine anyone wanting to have pro-Nazi propagranda posters on their wall. There's just things that are distasteful.

While I agree we can't forget history, and there are lessons to be learned from objects, I can see how a father would decide that his children's concerns about racially offensive comic books deserve consideration - especially if the alternative to selling them now is leaving them for the kids to sell.  

So I really don't think the reaction that you will never take into account the feelings of others with regard to things like collectibles is as nuanced as real life is. You might change your mind if your kids or grandkids began to think that your displaying certain items was creepy and offensive. 

I say this being one of the people in SF who was very critical of the school board, in fact voted in the successful recall, for going crazy about hypersensitivity to offending people due to a mural which acknowledged the historic truth Washington owned slaves and heavy handed decisions to rename about 30 schools out of overblown fears the names were offensive. So I get your point, I just don't think it is for all seasons or necessarily plays out that way in real life. 

Edited by sfcityduck

On 7/21/2022 at 3:31 PM, sfcityduck said:

While I agree we can't forget history, and there are lessons to be learned from objects, I can see how a father would decide that his children's concerns about racially offensive comic books deserve consideration - especially if the alternative to selling them now is leaving them for the kids to sell.  

So I really don't think the reaction that you will never take into account the feelings of others with regard to things like collectibles is as nuanced as real life is. You might change your mind if your kids or grandkids began to think that your displaying certain items was creepy and offensive. 

Furthermore as a lover of comics I'm trying to get my kids involved.  And if selling off a few comics is the price for their engagement, so be it.  There are plenty of Shomburgs I have left and many more that I could buy if I could afford them.

On 7/21/2022 at 4:18 PM, Robot Man said:

You know, the older I get, I realize that money ain’t as important as what you do with it…

I would have agreed with you a few years ago, but unfortunately these days I do need some extra money for things.

Edited by toro

On 7/21/2022 at 1:18 PM, Robot Man said:

You know, the older I get, I realize that money ain’t as important as what you do with it…

The older I get, I realize the two types of people that care most about money are those with none, and those with more than they can ever spend. 

On 7/22/2022 at 6:59 AM, thunsicker said:

Furthermore as a lover of comics I'm trying to get my kids involved.  And if selling off a few comics is the price for their engagement, so be it.  There are plenty of Shomburgs I have left and many more that I could buy if I could afford them.

I didn't cut this one this week. But it is one I moved a couple of years ago due to concerns around exposing my kids to it too: Faust #1. My son had been showing an interest in my collection & I didn't want him reading the explicit violence, sex, drug use. Faust remains one of the most graphic comic book series of all time. Some of the later covers had X-rated depictions of satanic orgies & close ups of sexual acts. It's like Vigil and Quinn were trying to see how far they could go and get banned. I think Canada was the only place which banned it though.

1533225281_FaustFrontCover.thumb.jpg.4e3ef9f7d50e9cf01d714985d4a8c6db.jpg 

Have you ever?

I sold a book made decent profit, but then bought another book 

That technically I wouldn't have traded the book I sold for the book I bought 

Does that make sense?

I sold tomb of Dracula #13 cgc 9.2 for $550, after fees net $478, cost $156 profit $322, but that said

I then bought savage she hulk 1 cgc 9.6 for $254 shipped.

Not sure, it could have been wiser to hold onto tod#13? I needed it for bills though but already spent a little

On 7/25/2022 at 9:01 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Have you ever?

Does that make sense?

I sold tomb of Dracula #13 cgc 9.2 for $550, after fees net $478, cost $156 profit $322, but that said

Not sure, it could have been wiser to hold onto tod#13? I needed it for bills though but already spent a little

Adamantium, I'm not a flipper BUT some time ago I found a run of non-key bronze ToDs for cheap in a 2nd hand store which I thought about buying to sell for a profit. Keep thinking I should go back and get 'em. Would that make me a bad collector?  xD

On 7/24/2022 at 6:52 PM, MattrixAlien said:

Adamantium, I'm not a flipper BUT some time ago I found a run of non-key bronze ToDs for cheap in a 2nd hand store which I thought about buying to sell for a profit. Keep thinking I should go back and get 'em. Would that make me a bad collector?  xD

Well I'm not flipping the one I sold either, I've owned it for 4-5 years, still In my thoughts I reckoned to stop spending and cut down on bills. Lot of good it did me, cause now I spent a little when I could have just kept the #13 tod and not spent? If that makes sense.

I mean I had bills, but they would now have ended up paid at the same rate except I have a she hulk instead of tod. Idk 😂

On 7/24/2022 at 5:07 PM, Artboy99 said:

I moved long runs of DC Rebirth books to my discount "for sale" inventory. 

Wonder Woman, Batman, Harley Quinn, and others. I will also probably do the same with my Conan Saga magazines, and maybe other things. Tired of having so many boxes of books.

Good call.... also give more boxes to Dave.

On 7/21/2022 at 12:28 PM, Buzzetta said:

I swore off selling this year… but… I’d love to pare down some more things via local sales.  I think I’d enjoy the simplicity of not dealing with PayPal and once the buyer inspects the item and makes the exchange -  what’s done is done.

So in the past month, the following were re-homed.

4 transformers

2 Lego Sets

22 Star Wars Figures

Not bad... 

Clear up a little bit of space.   Maybe there is more than can go. 

I cut issues 5 & 6 of the Longshot (1985) mini series from my collection today. They were duplicates which finally sold. It brings to a successful end my collecting move to buy the whole mini series as a bundle, just so I could add the 1st issue to my PC. I already owned issues 2-6 in VF or better condition but I was missing the first one from back when I was a kid. The bundle was cheap because most of the books were mid grade. The first issue though was a solid copy. Since that time nearly 2 years ago I've been selling off the rest and now it is completed. I love Art Adams art and I like the character too. 

624375139_Longshot6cover.thumb.jpg.89893189249121de379d9976b5e68a5b.jpg

On 7/24/2022 at 7:01 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Have you ever?

Does that make sense?

I do this quite a bit. I sell off extra books at an auction house and bundle the credit together to buy books that I really want. It is a great way of making purchases without giving the visa a big workout.