• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone see the Superman 3 hour TV version 1979?
2 2

20 posts in this topic

On 7/19/2022 at 10:04 PM, bronze_rules said:

Haven't seen that one, but nothing beats the diner and comeback scene in SII. I could watch that a million times.

man you missed some of the best stuff.  So many extra scenes of his powers.  They were determined I guess to cut the best stuff. :screwy:

On 7/20/2022 at 1:01 AM, kav said:

Many great scenes I have no idea why they cut out including his best flying scenes.  Here's one clip:

-I'll look for the flying scenes after he jumped out of window-very realistic.

That was awesome! I have never seen that before, so thank you for posting.

On 7/20/2022 at 1:01 AM, kav said:

Many great scenes I have no idea why they cut out including his best flying scenes.  Here's one clip:

-I'll look for the flying scenes after he jumped out of window-very realistic.

The reason is simple and complicated-simple one:crapy producers and higher up.it was a 2 movie project filmed at once.all scenes were agreed upon before shooting.then the first movie is almost completed and producers and such décides to swipe the ending(first movie ending might not have been shot at all(shrug))and decided to take the climactic endding of the second movie for the first movie,debates were agresives and richard donner lost his job...he finished the editing of the movie like the producers more or less wanted.thus hiring richard lester for the completion of the second movie.creating another problem,they could only use a percentage of what donner shot for legal issues.some of the footage was then recycled in an extended cut of the first movie,shots meant for the second movie!look for the donner superman 2 directors cut from 2006 its awesome(thumbsu!sintence enough for you @kav?

Edited by Namtak

Another deleted scene shows the big dude Non throwing the police car light at a kid on horse back, effectively killing him.  A women states: "he was just a boy" and Ursa replies with a smile: "and he will never be a man."  Chilling scene and I can understand why its been deleted.

On 7/20/2022 at 7:22 PM, bronze_rules said:

that looks like it.  The scenes of him flying after he jumps out window are comparable to anything today with CGI.  Have no idea why they deleted the best flying scenes in the film.  They do not look like the fake green screen stuff like when he's flying at hoover dam.

Back when superhero films had characters you cared about. They took the strongest super-hero to date and made him truly seem vulnerable on so many levels.

The only thing that irks me is seeing Lex Luthor's smarmy confidence and attitude. Superman could just vaporize him like homelander would do. On top of that, he could do it in ways no one would ever know. 

Edited by bronze_rules

On 7/20/2022 at 7:32 PM, bronze_rules said:

Back when superhero films had characters you cared about. They took the strongest super-hero to date and made him truly seem vulnerable on so many levels.

The only thing that irks me is seeing Lex Luthor's smarmy confidence and attitude. Superman could just vaporize him like homelander would do. On top of that, he could do it in ways no one would ever know. 

It irks you that Superman isn't a psychopath like Homelander?

On 7/20/2022 at 9:27 PM, Juno Beach said:

It irks you that Superman isn't a psychopath like Homelander?

No, just irks me that the villains, like Lex in that show are so arrogant, when they could be wiped out in a millisecond. I would think you'd have to be one seriously confident and capable villain to pull that off (Gene didn't do it for me). Homelander's just a more realistic example of what Superman could do if he chose to. He (superman) truly was like a Jesus archetype.

Edited by bronze_rules

On 7/20/2022 at 9:43 PM, bronze_rules said:

No, just irks me that the villains, like Lex in that show are so arrogant, when they could be wiped out in a millisecond. I would think you'd have to be one seriously confident and capable villain to pull that off (Gene didn't do it for me). Homelander's just a more realistic example of what Superman could do if he chose to. He (superman) truly was like a Jesus archetype.

this bugs me too.  in Batman v Superman when the annoying giggling luthor kidnaps superman's mom, merely grab him buy the foot, fly up about a mile and start burning off his fingers till he figgers out a way to find out where she is.
The most powerful being on earth just gives up time after time.