• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does CGC make mistakes with the information bar? (serious question and not a joke)
3 3

17 posts in this topic

I know I know..."Does CGC make mistakes?! BOY DO THEY EVER!!!" knee slapping.

But seriously, I was looking at this just randomly and I was thinking to myself..."Uhhh wait a minute, no it's not." when I read the information they graded it at. So is this common or is someone being shady?

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

On 7/20/2022 at 8:30 AM, KCode98 said:

The premium edition was a "Red Webbing Cover". Here is an example of one.

s-l1600.jpg

They sometimes key in the wrong edition and the label gets printed and you end up with what you got.

Someone posted an Adventures of Superman recently with the same kind of mix-up

@CGC Mike

• Administrator
On 7/20/2022 at 9:10 AM, KCode98 said:

But seriously, I was looking at this just randomly and I was thinking to myself..."Uhhh wait a minute, no it's not." when I read the information they graded it at. So is this common or is someone being shady?

Hello

If you would like the label corrected, you can go to the online submission form, and create another submission.  You would select Mechanical error.  It will give you a link to get a free, prepaid shipping label.  We would also pay for return shipping of the book.

On 7/20/2022 at 12:27 PM, CGC Mike said:

Hello

If you would like the label corrected, you can go to the online submission form, and create another submission.  You would select Mechanical error.  It will give you a link to get a free, prepaid shipping label.  We would also pay for return shipping of the book.

It isn't my book. 

On 7/20/2022 at 6:10 AM, KCode98 said:

s-l1600 (1).jpg

On 7/20/2022 at 6:30 AM, KCode98 said:

The premium edition was a "Red Webbing Cover". 

It's in the infrared spectrum. You need the "Webb" telescope to see it. 

Edited by jcjames

On 7/20/2022 at 8:10 AM, KCode98 said:

They frequently mislabel books as the wrong version of the issue, especially for things like Canadian Newsstands.

On 7/20/2022 at 10:33 PM, sfcityduck said:

Don't you tell them what the book is on the submission form? Including version? Could be a submission error.

1. If it is a submission error, CGC should notice and fix it.

2. They mess up far too often even when everything on the submission form is perfect.

On 7/20/2022 at 11:33 PM, sfcityduck said:

Don't you tell them what the book is on the submission form? Including version? Could be a submission error.

Very possible.  But during intake, CGC is supposed to verify that the comic entered on the form matches what is sent - Title, issue#, version, variant. 

And all along the way, from page counter to Grader 1, Grader 2, encapsulation person, someone could point out that they have it set up incorrectly. 

Could also be done correctly the whole way, right up until they print the label.  And then they hit the wrong comic to print.  Only CGC knows - maybe.  Where's the QC person?

On 7/20/2022 at 6:10 AM, KCode98 said:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

sorry pic too blurry to understand what you are saying.

On 7/20/2022 at 9:10 AM, KCode98 said:

But seriously,

"But seriously" you answered your own question with the statement above it that you treated as a joke. 

And no, the silver web version is not the red web version. 

The problem here is that "variant" information has been put in the "issue notes" field.  No matter what someone puts in their submission form, this information is going to come up. 

It's not a common problem, but it does happen and once it does there's really no way to sort it out accurately.  Because it's in the notes, it RETROACTIVELY applies to ALL issues of that comic.  

An example from my collection is Ninja High School #1 from Antarctic Press, here's a serial number to check: 0901243012  On my physical slab, there are no notes at all.  In the database now, notes say: 1st appearance of Jeremy Feeple, Itchy Koo, Princess Asrial, Lendo and Professor Steamhead. Poster included.

The problem is, the poster was only included in editions sold directly from the publisher either at conventions or mail order.  There are about 100 copies of the poster edition, and about 7900 that do not have the poster.  But now ALL copies say they have a poster included.  Fortunately, if you know where to look, you can tell from the outside whether or not the poster is actually supposed to be in there, but it would be infuriating to buy a copy based on this note and find it to be the far more common regular edition.

Also, Professor Steamhead first appeared in Mangazine #2, Feb 1986, but that's a minor quibble compared to these variant notes.