• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Overstreet out today, haven't gotten my copy yet...
3 3

102 posts in this topic

Woooot! It's so great to see how much more my books are worth today than they were yesterday.

Though I'm gonna speak up for our favorite MF73 pusher and say that's it's quite strange that the gap between 52 and 73 increased this year when actual sales tend to make one think the opposite. But, it's not a 20+ year trend yet, so no need to overreact and close the gap. It's enough that he finally acknowledged Cap #3 is actually worth more than #2 and that AA16 isn't quite as valuable as Bat 1. Baby steps.

On 7/21/2022 at 3:11 PM, szav said:

Thank you.  Quite the pile up for 66th place.

Well, it would be at least one more (if not even more than that) if he had not forgotten to include Amazing Man 22 in both this year's and last year's Top 100 chart which took a 25% jump from $40K last year up to $50K in this year's edition of the guide.  doh!

Being a long-time collector, rather surprised since I am so used to seeing Amazing Man 5 as the most highest valued A-Man book out there, and now it has finally been surpassed and quite handiy at that, after some 50+ year of guide valuations.  :whatthe:

Edited by lou_fine

On 7/21/2022 at 4:23 PM, Mmehdy said:

the new guide looks great....its about time

Yes indeed, and totally surprised that Bob (or was it his ghost writer or analyst?? :bigsmile:) took some time and went to the trouble of actually writing something in his Market Report this year, entitled Interesting Times.  Especially as I believe it's now running on close to 10 years since he actually wrote up something in his market report besides an introductory paragraph or even an introductory sentence before simply launching into a bunch of cut and paste exceprts from his individual advisors' market reports.  :p

I guess he was probably quite taken aback by all of the million dollar sales as his market report was focused pretty much entirely on all of the million dollar sales that took place so far in 2022 up to about April or May.  From seeing some of the larger percentage price increases that went in on some of the books this year, it almost makes me think that he or somebody in his group were probably spending some time lurking on these very boards here in terms of picking off some of the hot books over the past few years.  Then again, I guess it's probably pretty obvious which were the hot books that needed a bigger increase if you were paying any attention to the marketplace at all.  (thumbsu

On 7/21/2022 at 6:15 PM, Crowzilla said:

But, it's not a 20+ year trend yet, so no need to overreact and close the gap.

Well, probably not quite 20+ years for the Guide to pick up on the trends, especially since it did seem to catch a pretty bad case of the L.B. Cole fever this year.  lol

And it still seems to be suffering from some of the lingering effects of the rampant Matt Baker fever which was spreading like wildfire a couple of years ago.  Just take a look at Seven Seas where not only SS 4 took another 33% jump up to $16K in top of guide and SS 6 took another 54% jump up to $10K, but Seven Seas 3 took a humongous 150% jump as it rocketed up from $2,400 all the way to $6K in top of guide.  :whatthe:  :Rocket:

On 7/22/2022 at 2:33 AM, lou_fine said:

I guess he was probably quite taken aback by all of the million dollar sales as his market report was focused pretty much entirely on all of the million dollar sales that took place so far in 2022 up to about April or May. 

Does it worry anyone that Bob finally catching on to the massive rises in the market might be the ultimate bearish sign?

Kind of like Joe Main Street hearing about Bitcoin hitting $60k?

On 7/22/2022 at 1:23 PM, tth2 said:

Does it worry anyone that Bob finally catching on to the massive rises in the market might be the ultimate bearish sign?

Yep, the sky is falling. You heard it here first.  :wink:

On 7/22/2022 at 1:43 AM, lou_fine said:

Well, it would be at least one more (if not even more than that) if he had not forgotten to include Amazing Man 22 in both this year's and last year's Top 100 chart which took a 25% jump from $40K last year up to $50K in this year's edition of the guide.  doh!

Being a long-time collector, rather surprised since I am so used to seeing Amazing Man 5 as the most highest valued A-Man book out there, and now it has finally been surpassed and quite handiy at that, after some 50+ year of guide valuations.  :whatthe:

Overstreet was lacking on Aman 22 for years as many others he has lots of catching up to do lol

On 7/22/2022 at 6:23 AM, tth2 said:

Don't tell Joe Main Street about BTC now...

On 7/22/2022 at 3:42 AM, lou_fine said:

Just take a look at Seven Seas where not only SS 4 took another 33% jump up to $16K in top of guide and SS 6 took another 54% jump up to $10K, but Seven Seas 3 took a humongous 150% jump as it rocketed up from $2,400 all the way to $6K in top of guide.  :whatthe:  :Rocket:

So Bob is almost fully caught up to 2017 pricing on Seven Seas, got it.

And you almost had me convinced earlier that it was about time to buy a new copy.

On 7/21/2022 at 2:50 PM, buttock said:

That's the epitome of Overstreet.  Wait 25 years to catch up to things being online, and then basically offer the same product only online.  This sounds like a .pdf version of the guide.  "But it's online!"

At last, they are finally thinking outside the box. 

On 7/21/2022 at 6:15 PM, Crowzilla said:

It's enough that he finally acknowledged Cap #3 is actually worth more than #2 and that AA16 isn't quite as valuable as Bat 1. Baby steps.

It was also about time that it finally dawned on him that the pricing on the Frazetta Famous Funnies classic covers were not necessarily all going for the same price point in the marketplace.  doh!

Although he had a nice bump up on the Frazetta FF run with the top of guide valuation going from $3,100 up to $4K, he went even further with the hugely in-demand FF 213 and FF 214 issues as he did a full double after that and rocketed them all the way up to $8K for a whopping 158% YOY percentage increase.  Only surprise here to me was that he also included the not quite as high profile Famous Funnies 212 in this group that shot all the way up to $8K.  I guess he must have taken note of the CGC 8.0 copy of FF 212 that sold at Heritage in late 2021 for some $19,200 into account, along with the 2 mid-grade copies that sold for over $3K which is still pretty much close to triple the condition guide value in the new guide.  :whatthe:

Then again, Overstreet really needs to do a lot more of breaking out some of these groupings.  Perfect case in point being his groupings of 10's or what you for the pre-here Adventure and More Fun books.  Haven't we seen so many sales of low grade raw condition copies or even incomplete slightly restored copies selling for up to 20X condition guide value this past year.  I guess like you said, baby steps indeed, as they were bumped up by only 3% - 5% in this year's edition of the guide.  So, instead of low grade raw copies selling at up to 20X condition guide, they are now selling at up to 18X to 19X condition guide value.  :facepalm:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

Speaking about the Frazetta Famous Funnies issues, received an email from Heritage yesterday which highlighted this mid-grade copy of FF 213 in one of their upcoming auctions:  (thumbsu

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/science-fiction/famous-funnies-213-eastern-color-1954-cgc-fn-60-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/122230-17289.s?ctrack=473536&type=spotlight-5-comic-news-tem072122

lf?set=path%5B2%2F6%2F3%2F6%2F5%2F26365057%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Any guesses as to where this nicely presenting copy will finished up at since it's already sitting at $3,720 with the Heritage BP juice in there or touching on 3X its new and much higher condition guide value?  hm

On 7/21/2022 at 2:17 PM, Aman619 said:

anyone check out the other new Overstreet announcement?  They have started an online calling / valuation app.  All the info about each comic, artists, storylines etc etc plus Guide pricing.  Seems like the prices are calculated based on the Guide pricing, but do the values only update once a year?  

On 7/21/2022 at 2:50 PM, buttock said:

That's the epitome of Overstreet.  Wait 25 years to catch up to things being online, and then basically offer the same product only online.  This sounds like a .pdf version of the guide.  "But it's online!"

Well, from the way I am reading this in the Scoop article, it defiitely sounds like the same old fixed annual valuations that's in the guide plus a bunch of other cataloging features:  :p

https://scoop.previewsworld.com/Home/4/1/73/1012?ArticleID=263233

Edited by lou_fine