• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What age of comics has the best stories?
2 2

94 posts in this topic

Anyone want to venture what is the best three-year period? Myself, I am not sure. 1963 to 1965, mostly because of Marvel? 1938 to1940, all the legendary creations? 1953 to 1955, EC comics era? 1969 to 1971, lots of experimentation and new trends. 1979 to 1981, X-men, Daredevil, TT?

On 7/23/2022 at 7:42 PM, jdandns said:

This is reasonable, but I can't just confine his best work to Copper, as the ABC line from the 2000's and his work for Avatar in the 2010's (most notably the Lovecraft stuff), I rank up there with his seminal earlier works (which also includes the "Supreme" stories in the 90's that could have comprised the greatest Superman story ever told, had only DC not been so short-sighted regarding the ownership of "Watchmen").

Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow and For the Man Who Has Everything are two of the all time great Superman stories. 

Agree on the Supreme run. One of the best superhero runs ever.

On 7/23/2022 at 8:22 PM, Humpty-Dumpty said:

Anyone want to venture what is the best three-year period? Myself, I am not sure. 1963 to 1965, mostly because of Marvel? 1938 to1940, all the legendary creations? 1953 to 1955, EC comics era? 1969 to 1971, lots of experimentation and new trends. 1979 to 1981, X-men, Daredevil, TT?

From your list I would go for the EC era. But I would set the span as 1952-1954.

Another interesting era would be 1939-1941. The sweet spot in GA. Was the era where the most interesting superhero’s were created.

GA came before I was born but I have loved to explore it’s diversity since I first obtained my first one as a kid. 

I really enjoy golden age Superman, so much raw power, a man of the people an enemy to the authorities.  

I always found it funny that you could be rushing into work at the Daily Star , almost get hit by a car and Superman saves you ,before leaving he says sternly   “ WATCH WERE YOURE WALKING.” You make into work on time just to have a clumsy four eye goof spill some coffee on you.  Same guy, I love it lol. 

Edited by Nazirite

My library of trades is clear that the 00s are the era I like best (thus far). Makes sense when I think about it. Although Vertigo didn't have anything that hit the heights of Sandman, I'd say that was their best time overall. There were also plenty of great indie books from stalwarts as well as newcomers. There was a renaissance at Image. A number of my favorite comic writers - Brubaker, Ellis, Morrison, Vaughan, et al. - were focused on comics and prolific, to boot. I really enjoyed the first few years of a couple of the Ultimate titles. There were some real highlights from standard superhero writers like Busiek, Cooke, and JMS to name a few.

On 7/26/2022 at 7:02 AM, Djangology said:

My library of trades is clear that the 00s are the era I like best (thus far). Makes sense when I think about it. Although Vertigo didn't have anything that hit the heights of Sandman, I'd say that was their best time overall. There were also plenty of great indie books from stalwarts as well as newcomers. There was a renaissance at Image. A number of my favorite comic writers - Brubaker, Ellis, Morrison, Vaughan, et al. - were focused on comics and prolific, to boot. I really enjoyed the first few years of a couple of the Ultimate titles. There were some real highlights from standard superhero writers like Busiek, Cooke, and JMS to name a few.

It’s astonishing that the period gets regularly dismissed as being complete rubbish, across the board, when that misconception’s easy to disprove.  So many highlights.

On 7/26/2022 at 1:56 PM, The Commissioner said:

I think Batman has the best stories in the Bronze Age.  Really moves away from the silliness of DC's Silver Age.

Currently thinking more of pulling out the Grant / Breyfogle run to re-read.

I do think for most it is the age that you grew up with.   I grew up in the silver age.   I loved stories that could be told in one book.  I loved DC War in the 60s, but not as much in the 70s. 

With that said I still read new comics. Always have and always will.  Some of my favorite stuff came out of the DC Vertigo line.  Loved Sandman and loved Fables.  I love most stuff that Mark Millar has ever done. 

I just love comics.