• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Isom#1 Rippaverse
1 1

202 posts in this topic

On 7/22/2022 at 8:55 PM, Cat said:

Why has this done so well? What's behind the hype on this project? 

Check out the announcement video. I think a lot of people are excited to jump in on something new, and this is from someone who cares about comics and wants to make something fans will love.

Edited by BuraddoRun

I bought a signed copy of #1 Cover A off the main campaign site the first day they went live, but it looks like now they've removed signed copies from the store since they've sold so many and Eric July says he just can't sign anymore based on the sheer volume of what's already been purchased.

I've supported over a dozen of the independent creator owned projects the last couple years on Indiegogo.

Groken by Rocafort, Cyberfrog by EVS, Starlight Cats by Shane Davis, Graham Nolan's Alien Alamo, looking forward to Lopresti's Wrath of God and Art Thibert's next volume of Black & White.

The focus is always great stories and great art and Isom looks to be a continuation of that and I'm looking forward to it.

On 7/23/2022 at 12:37 AM, BuraddoRun said:

Check out the announcement video. I think a lot of people are excited to jump in on something new, and this is from someone who cares about comics and wants to make something fans will love.

On 7/23/2022 at 12:37 AM, BuraddoRun said:

This is exactly why I wanted to try it out. Looks awesome 

I ordered a copy. Price isnt cheap but it is a 96 pager and it seems to be quality stock. Liked the art, has a GTA style about it.. Let's see how the story goes

Edited by nines

I'd be surprised if Buddy Saunders didn't support this and I would like to stress that I mean that delivered with zero snark or sarcasm whatsoever- Mr. Saunders being an outspoken conservative who has been more influential in modern comics history than most fans often realize- he was the catalyst for Alan Moore leaving DC Comics in 1987 in that he (and to a lesser extent, Steve Geppi), strongly pushed for an ethical and moral ratings system in mainstream comics. Because of ISOM's advertised anti-PC stance, I feel like this is something he'd get behind and I'm curious what he thinks about it. Again, I just mean on a factual level and knowing the history. So the fact that MCS is sold out leads me to think it really is just genuinely sold out. 

On 9/3/2022 at 5:33 AM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Does the creator have any previous comic experience? I had never heard of him before hearing about this new book; seems odd that so many people would be willing to spend a premium on a book from someone without an established track record in comics.

I know that he is a musician, though I couldn't tell you much more than that. I know he has a large following on youtube, as I have watched a few of his videos. I'm guessing that most of his sales come from subscribers to his channel.

Edited by mysterymachine

On 9/4/2022 at 8:15 PM, mysterymachine said:

I know that he is a musician, though I couldn't tell you much more than that. I know he has a large following on youtube, as I have watched a few of his videos. I'm guessing that most of his sales come from subscribers to his channel.

Gotcha. I noticed in a few places that people had corrected others that were saying that this is crowdfunded, claiming that the funds for this project was covered before the pre-sales started. But it would be easy to conclude that based on the website, since the layout looks similar to Kickstarter or other crowdfunding websites. And since it's not an independent crowdfunding website, but rather his site, it occurred to me that the site could be updated with whatever numbers they wanted to make it look successful. The numbers are really high for anyone without a track record in comics, unless they have a strong following from somewhere else that an average comics fan wouldn't be aware of.

On 7/22/2022 at 9:14 PM, Mmanick said:

Yup looks like someone is trying to shut them down maybe ?

No, PayPal is not trying to shut down Eric July. That is laughable. He screwed up. And now he’s try to spin it as being a victim of “wokeness” 

I’m sure this will all be worked out and everyone will get their books

On 9/4/2022 at 1:19 PM, lordbyroncomics said:

I'd be surprised if Buddy Saunders didn't support this and I would like to stress that I mean that delivered with zero snark or sarcasm whatsoever- Mr. Saunders being an outspoken conservative who has been more influential in modern comics history than most fans often realize- he was the catalyst for Alan Moore leaving DC Comics in 1987 in that he (and to a lesser extent, Steve Geppi), strongly pushed for an ethical and moral ratings system in mainstream comics. Because of ISOM's advertised anti-PC stance, I feel like this is something he'd get behind and I'm curious what he thinks about it. Again, I just mean on a factual level and knowing the history. So the fact that MCS is sold out leads me to think it really is just genuinely sold out. 

Ew.

Two things these knuckleheads get wrong.

a) The brand new machismo superhero universe thing has been done, over and over and over again. No one seems to make it last. Valiant put a LOT of heart and soul behind trying to do it, with some established creators AND characters, and still couldn't make it really work. Even with a movie. They're hanging in there... which is the only way to do it right - is just keep on publishing, but.... it's just a tough market.

b) Comics have SLOWLY, but over time, ALWAYS tried to expand - from Super Girl, to Bat Woman, to Black Panther, to Luke Cage, The Cat, Spider-woman, She Hulk, the NEW X-Men with Storm, War Path, the Canadian Wolverine, Banshee, later Bishop.... being anti-PC just seems backwards. 

He wants to leave real world politics out of the book, that's it.

Isom is meant to be entertaining and escapism. He doesn't want it to remind us of what's going on in the real world. Is that a bad thing?

As for his personal beliefs/politics, as long as he leaves them out of the comic, I'm fine.

I don't want to be brow beaten with a message from either side of the aisle. That's why I'm getting tired of the current state of entertainment. If I want to be reminded how much everybody sucks, I'll watch the news.

On 9/6/2022 at 12:38 PM, D84 said:

He wants to leave real world politics out of the book, that's it.

Isom is meant to be entertaining and escapism. He doesn't want it to remind us of what's going on in the real world. Is that a bad thing?

As for his personal beliefs/politics, as long as he leaves them out of the comic, I'm fine.

I don't want to be brow beaten with a message from either side of the aisle. That's why I'm getting tired of the current state of entertainment. If I want to be reminded how much everybody sucks, I'll watch the news.

But he IS telling us his politics, by what he’s saying and by who he’s aligned with. It’s part of his company statement. You ARE being brow beaten with a message. 

If the stories so good, why even bring up politics in the first place? Why not just put the comic out, promote it, and let it stand on its own?

Because Eric is well aware that the doofus’ that make up Comicsgate will rally behind the ideology and cough up $35 to make it look ‘hot’ and even come on the CGC Boards to try and get the speculator dummies to want to jump on board. 

He’s just another EVS. No thanks. I’ve no interest in hate. 

Edited by Prince Namor

On 7/23/2022 at 2:37 AM, BuraddoRun said:

Watched the video. Same old stuff, pitched to people who cry about any kind of social/political commentary in comics. Hard pass.

Edited by Lord Gemini

On 9/6/2022 at 12:43 AM, Prince Namor said:

a) The brand new machismo superhero universe thing has been done, over and over and over again. No one seems to make it last. Valiant put a LOT of heart and soul behind trying to do it, with some established creators AND characters, and still couldn't make it really work. Even with a movie. They're hanging in there... which is the only way to do it right - is just keep on publishing, but.... it's just a tough market.

Not sure why you put Valiant into this category.