• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tmnt The Last Ronin Prequel Series Announced At SDCC

15 posts in this topic

On 7/23/2022 at 12:48 PM, Cat said:

Here's the news at io9. Gotta say, I'm thrilled we're back in this sandbox so quickly. I can't wait to explore certain plotppoints in more detail, find out what REALLY went down. https://gizmodo.com/tmnt-the-last-ronin-the-lost-years-idw-comic-con-1849321940

And here's some cover art. Yes, we are returning to the wonderful world of the The Last Ronin. First up is a prequel, showing us some choice moments, sounds like it's fleshing out certain scenes of disaster and betrayal that readers really would have liked to know more about, it it just wasn't relevant enough to the story. Here's its chance. I'm all for it. 

a4b48c600c61d80e0cec357852e389fc.thumb.jpg.bea7ee16c04061c1d8557c95abd7bc3e.jpg

What did you think of Last Ronin? I had problems with it till I talked to my TMNT buddy.

On 7/24/2022 at 2:45 PM, Raze said:

What did you think of Last Ronin? I had problems with it till I talked to my TMNT buddy.

I loved it. It totally worked for me. I don't know that it needed a prequel, I think we were told everything we needed to know, but hey, I won't say no to more in that universe. My only issue was that I thought the ending 

Spoiler

Echoed Raphael's death too closely. They could have come up with something different for Mikey IMO, just to keep things fresh. 

What problems did you have with it? 

Edited by Cat

It doesn't need a prequel but the first series was too successful for it to be a one and done. There is a huge merchandising opportunity to exploit based on this storyline. 

On 7/24/2022 at 9:53 PM, Ryan. said:

It doesn't need a prequel but the first series was too successful for it to be a one and done. There is a huge merchandising opportunity to exploit based on this storyline. 

Yep, we're getting figures from two companies, and NECA's doing both their regular versions and an animated Last Ronin figure. Along with the two versions already announced, armoured and topless, they showed off Raphael and Leonardo at SDCC, and a Synja, the basic FOOT unit of the future,, along with the hidden animated Last Ronin. 

mxp5yjcfi1d91.jpg.f6c78dbeb9ac112ed538e8c99e6b5981.jpg

Edited by Cat
Added a figures I'd forgot about

I had pre-ordered the armored version when it was first announced. I'm not an action figure collector, per se, but I thought that figure looked cool.

Edited by Ryan.
Added "collector"

On 7/24/2022 at 10:33 PM, Ryan. said:

I had pre-ordered the armored version when it was first announced. I'm not an action figure, per se, but I thought that figure looked cool.

NECA's? That's the one I went with too, though I think I'll end up with the topless one too. Playmates' does look good by their standards, but it's nowhere near as good as NECA's. 

On 7/24/2022 at 9:38 AM, Cat said:

NECA's? That's the one I went with too, though I think I'll end up with the topless one too. Playmates' does look good by their standards, but it's nowhere near as good as NECA's. 

Actually, now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I pre-ordered both the NECA and Playmates versions. :shiftyeyes:

On 7/24/2022 at 11:54 PM, WolverineX said:

Ooh do u have a link? Can I still buy?

It's still on preorder. Like I mentioned, there's also the unarmoured 'topless' version. Before you preorder it, you might want to check out Playmates' version of it, too. While I think it's unlikely, you may decide that's the figure you'd prefer. Just search on BBTS' site for 'The Last Ronin'. 

Here's the link: https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/196824

On 7/24/2022 at 5:42 AM, Cat said:

I loved it. It totally worked for me. I don't know that it needed a prequel, I think we were told everything we needed to know, but hey, I won't say no to more in that universe. My only issue was that I thought the ending 

Reveal hidden contents

Echoed Raphael's death too closely. They could have come up with something different for Mikey IMO, just to keep things fresh. 

What problems did you have with it? 

When I heard about this project I thought it sounded cool. I have never read a teenage mutant ninja turtle comic book ever. I’ve always wanted to read the trade paperback that collected the first couple issues but I have never bought it. I only remember the TV show from the 80s and the movies which I loved.

Spoiler

I didn’t like that April O’Neil was a scientist/engineer. I only knew her as a reporter. I did like that her and Casey Jones got together and had a kid I was fine with that.

The other thing I didn't quite like or understand was all because they were hanging out with the turtles that their mutant genes transferred to April and Casey and subsequently their daughter. 

The ending is cheesy because those are cloned turtles.

I thought the way all of the turtles and splinter died were in line with their character. I was OK with all of it. But my other question was it seemed that splinter became enraged when he threw the sword. That seemed a bit out of character to me.

these were my problems until I was informed by my friend that they are using the IDW comic books where a lot of this is Canon.

I did overall enjoy the book as a wholebut don’t think I would get the prequel. But who knows maybe…

Edited by Raze

On 7/25/2022 at 9:51 AM, Raze said:

When I heard about this project I thought it sounded cool. I have never read a teenage mutant ninja turtle comic book ever. I’ve always wanted to read the trade paperback that collected the first couple issues but I have never bought it. I only remember the TV show from the 80s and the movies which I loved.

Hide contents

I didn’t like that April O’Neil was a scientist/engineer. I only knew her as a reporter. I did like that her and Casey Jones got together and had a kid I was fine with that.

The other thing I didn't quite like or understand was all because they were hanging out with the turtles that their mutant genes transferred to April and Casey and subsequently their daughter. 

I thought the way all of the turtles and splinter died were in line with their character. I was OK with all of it. But my other question was it seemed that splinter became enraged when he threw the sword. That seemed a bit out of character to me.

these were my problems until I was informed by my friend that they are using the IDW comic books where a lot of this is Canon.

I did overall enjoy the book as a wholebut don’t think I would get the prequel. But who knows maybe…

Spoiler

Yeah, in the IDW books there's the theme of reincarnation, so one way to look at it is that they're trying to reincarnate the Turtles at the end. Of course, that's a very simplistic view of things, but hey, it's comics. But this was supposedly pitched back in the Mirage days, so who knows on that one. 

Again, April is a scientist in IDW. Splinter's rage worked for me, because he'd seen his sons die, his lost precious things in life, and again, if we use IDW, his literal sons. 

So I understand your confusion, and honestly, this is probably the first time I've realised it fits with IDW so well. 

On 7/25/2022 at 9:51 AM, Raze said:

Reveal hidden contents

One other thing I missed is that 

Spoiler

I didn't think they were supposed to be actual cloned turtles, just another random set of four, trying to recreate the circumstances of their mutations, in a controlled environment this time. And/or that they were maybe hinting at the possible reincarnation of the Turtles, as per the IDW comics. But that's a very simplistic take, with odds of one in millions, it seems too ridiculous to even try. 

On 7/27/2022 at 10:58 AM, Turtle said:

April worked in a lab years before she ever worked in a news station.  Check out TMNT #2 from 1984... :baiting:

Aye, it's been far too long since I read the Mirage series. I totally forgot about that.