• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic-Con: Any interesting transactions this year?
1 1

66 posts in this topic

I know a lot of my crew showed up in San Diego. Certainly we are on the younger side of the hobby and lean toward modern era, but several members scored some solid pieces at reasonable prices. 

I think to Gene’s point, SDCC will continue to be less about OA and comics. Many of the large comic dealers also stopped doing SDCC given the online platforms available like FB, YouTube, WhatNot, etc. The convention simply isn’t price effective for the core of the hobby any more.

Torpedocon seemed to be gaining momentum prior to the pandemic and was scheduled the weekend before SDCC. Sadly it was canceled this year from my understanding. 

On 7/30/2022 at 9:04 AM, grapeape said:

I didn’t see Glen Brunswick.

He was on the floor, and at one dealer’s booth or another, 100% of the time I was at the show. 

On 7/30/2022 at 10:04 AM, grapeape said:

Sadly haven’t seen Conrad E for years I believe for health reasons.

Otherwise I saw quite a bit of art. I found a real art treasure in a booth that was 99.8% comics. You never know what you’ll find at the Con.

I understand the problems some of the dealers have encountered with SDCC. Gene was also saying maybe him and his friends wouldn’t come so much anymore. I hope that’s not true.

I think the venue is still a vibrant atmosphere for promoting and pursuing comic art. I was taking pics of the Heritage display and a young man about 21 was staring at the art. I redirected his eyes and pointed at the TOS 39 page. “That’s the very first appearance of Ironman in a comic book right there on that page.”

The guy immediately became transfixed and pulled his iPhone out taking multiple pics. He called out to his friends who were sifting through comics in a booth across the way. They all ran over and he explained to them what he was looking at. They all got excited and started taking pics.it brought me so much joy.

I missed Mitch and I hope he comes back some day but it seems like his mind is made up. I respect that. I’d also like to meet a lot of you guys also.

🍇 🦍 

Thanks.

As I said before, I missed seeing a bunch of you. Others, not so much.

I’m done with shows, specifically SD. I don’t feel the need to put out $10k for expenses when the same people and more can view the art on my site.

On 7/30/2022 at 10:07 AM, artdealer said:

Was Glen drinking again? I hope you picked him up off the floor. 😂

I left him where I found him.  

On 7/30/2022 at 11:59 AM, rsonenthal said:

I think (other than Mitch) all of the dealers from the last SDCC were there.  Near as I could tell, all had sales and I’ll bet they’ll be back next year.  
Mitch you were missed. 
Conrad hasn’t been there for years.   

Thank you Ron.

Missed you too..

On 7/30/2022 at 11:59 AM, rsonenthal said:

I think (other than Mitch) all of the dealers from the last SDCC were there.  Near as I could tell, all had sales and I’ll bet they’ll be back next year.  
Mitch you were missed. 
Conrad hasn’t been there for years.   

Speaking of Conrad - is anyone in touch with him?  Curious as to how he's faring...

On 7/30/2022 at 10:04 AM, grapeape said:

Sadly haven’t seen Conrad E for years I believe for health reasons.

Otherwise I saw quite a bit of art. I found a real art treasure in a booth that was 99.8% comics. You never know what you’ll find at the Con.

I understand the problems some of the dealers have encountered with SDCC. Gene was also saying maybe him and his friends wouldn’t come so much anymore. I hope that’s not true.

I think the venue is still a vibrant atmosphere for promoting and pursuing comic art. I was taking pics of the Heritage display and a young man about 21 was staring at the art. I redirected his eyes and pointed at the TOS 39 page. “That’s the very first appearance of Ironman in a comic book right there on that page.”

The guy immediately became transfixed and pulled his iPhone out taking multiple pics. He called out to his friends who were sifting through comics in a booth across the way. They all ran over and he explained to them what he was looking at. They all got excited and started taking pics.it brought me so much joy.

I missed Mitch and I hope he comes back some day but it seems like his mind is made up. I respect that. I’d also like to meet a lot of you guys also.

🍇 🦍 

SD and NYCC have become too bloated and too expensive.  They're both multimedia circuses trying to span the pop culture universe - something for everyone under one gigantic roof.

The time is right to get back to grass roots and spin off the comics/original art portions and have cons that focus solely on these two interests.  

On 7/30/2022 at 10:12 AM, pemart1966 said:

SD and NYCC have become too bloated and too expensive.  They're both multimedia circuses trying to span the pop culture universe - something for everyone under one gigantic roof.

The time is right to get back to grass roots and spin off the comics/original art portions and have cons that focus solely on these two interests.  

I agree with all of that. Out west Bechara has hosted the LA show with original art about twice a year for the last 3-4 years. I would like a lot more out of LA but I do enjoy the art only experience.

I love seeing Mike Mignola there and Rob Liefield was there. Now if Bechara could attract an artists row/alley for a weekend that would be something

Next the LA show needs more art showing that’s not online already.So that would mean a shout out to some of you guys to set up as exhibitors with a few portfolios of fresh unseen art you might trade or sell.

Would Bechara make room in the circle of trust? I say no charge to the collector exhibitors!! But maybe the guys in the room wouldn’t want competition? I think they’d like a shot at seeing art come out so it could work for everyone.

Thats the west coast grass roots. I can’t speak for my home turf NYC 🍎 I’ve been gone to long.

Most OA dealers reported very strong sales at SDCC this year, with high traffic too.

And going by recent HA/CLink/Hake's/eBay sales, OA prices still seem solid, particularly for pieces above $3/4k.

Comic book prices though, have undergone severe drops for many keys.