• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bounty on GI JOE #21 in 9.8 condition

351 posts in this topic

The only reason I don't crack out books is because I think I suck at preserving the condition. I'm too tempted to read them. confused-smiley-013.gif

I agree with you there. Pretty hard to resist opening up a slab, if you haven't read it and it isn't available in reprint.

Ill know if i find a "9.8 worthy" copy. This is why Im looking for a raw copy over a graded 9.8. Im usually a grade below or right on target of what CGC grades from all of my submissions thus far. Simply put.... were just collectors, anal or not, who want the finest available copies of our favorite series. [embarrassing lack of self control] the label! #21 is the big dog of the bunch which is why we are trying so hard to find one. Fastballspecial feels our pain and although we have a few bucks lying around for comics, I dont think we have the disposable income at this time to buy Gene's originals. Who has the cover for that book BTW?

Way too many G-VG copies out there to even attempt to read a pristine book like that. Besides, if im going to shell out $1500 for a comic book, Im not touching it unless its encased in something.

I don't think Gene's selling right now. But the pages are great. Gene also knows who has the cover... perhaps he'll see this thread and comment.

Ill know if i find a "9.8 worthy" copy. This is why Im looking for a raw copy over a graded 9.8. Im usually a grade below or right on target of what CGC grades from all of my submissions thus far. Simply put.... were just collectors, anal or not, who want the finest available copies of our favorite series. [embarrassing lack of self control] the label! #21 is the big dog of the bunch which is why we are trying so hard to find one. Fastballspecial feels our pain and although we have a few bucks lying around for comics, I dont think we have the disposable income at this time to buy Gene's originals. Who has the cover for that book BTW?

Think he's tried to pry the cover from the guy? headbang.gif Hey Gene, can you post a few pages for us? If you already have then i apologize. Id love to see the page where the grenade goes off in the soldiers face! devil.gif

Hahahahahahahahahaha.......no. NEVER buy from ebay. Ill bet that book is no better than a VF-. The only people id buy raw from would be members of the board and Doug Sulipa. He always seems to be right on the money as far as grading goes.

Okay, so if I buy that one, ship it to Selipa for an opinion....Nah, that's way too complicated. Even for 1500 which I couldn't charge you because of the fact, I have a CONSCIENCE. Someone, please help Dungeon find that GI Joe 21.

Hahahahahahahahahaha.......no. NEVER buy from ebay. Ill bet that book is no better than a VF-. The only people id buy raw from would be members of the board and Doug Sulipa. He always seems to be right on the money as far as grading goes.

thumbsup2.gif

By your defintion, the very business of comic collecting is exploitive.

What CGC has done is EXACTLY what the tobacco companies did, and fine-tune an already-addictive substance so that it's even more addictive to their target market. Take a cigarette, add in a few chemicals.. take a comic and add in a slab and neato number grade.

Don't be simple and try and say I'm comparing cigarettes or drugs to comics, but the MOTIVES behind the companies are very close.

Of course the motives are the same. All businesses have the same motive consumption of their product with intent of increasing consumption of said product.

Exactly, but it's only when they cross the line into overt manipulation that it rubs me the wrong way.

For example, let's say you found out that your favorite soft drink contained a derivative of Crack Cocaine that made it highly addictive and impossible to break, would that be cool since it has the goal of "increasing consumption of said product"?

Didn't say that it was cool just that all companies have the same motive. Whether or not they have the same ethics is a different story. Oil companies reported a large profit last quarter. During this time, allegations of price gouging were rampant. That is unethical same as your scenario above. I think, CGC has made it easier for collectors to enter the hobby. I also think that CGC's new PCS should not be the driver for the CGC's grading service practices. They should have the definitions for conservation and restoration set independently by third parties within the collector community. They should allow other conservation/restoration services to have their products submitted and treated the same as PCS. An ethical company would do this.

By your defintion, the very business of comic collecting is exploitive.

What CGC has done is EXACTLY what the tobacco companies did, and fine-tune an already-addictive substance so that it's even more addictive to their target market. Take a cigarette, add in a few chemicals.. take a comic and add in a slab and neato number grade.

Don't be simple and try and say I'm comparing cigarettes or drugs to comics, but the MOTIVES behind the companies are very close.

Ah, go sue McDonald's for making you fat and let these kids waste their cashola on funnybooks, wouldya?