• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay buyer wants a week to pay or pay in person. Opinions requested
2 2

38 posts in this topic

I sold a graded book at a loss on Saturday at which time the eBay auction ended.  It was a $50 purchase.  The buyer is asking for a week to pay or the buyer " can have a friend pay cash and pick the item up."  The friend supposedly lives not far from me.  This is making my spider sense tingle.  How would you respond?

Thanks,

Anthony

Edited by Antonio
typo

only ship to address listed on ebay.

Otherwise it is something like a "request outside of ebay", in which case, cancel and block (thumbsu

and where you been since 2005? hope you're back for good :) 

On 7/25/2022 at 10:56 AM, Antonio said:

I sold a graded book at a loss on Saturday at which time the eBay auction ended.  It was a $50 purchase.  The buyer is asking for a week to pay or the buyer " can have a friend pay cash and pick the item up."  The friend supposedly lives not far from me.  This is making my spider sense tingle.  How would you respond?

Thanks,

Anthony

On 7/25/2022 at 11:02 AM, Antonio said:

Adamantium, thank you.  I am more of a reader than a poster.  Would you give this buyer a week?   I have a scam vibe here, but I could be wrong.

If your not hurting for the money it's up to you, I don't think I would, but lol it's not the end of the world to some sellers. If your even considering it, then it may not bother you so much, worst case he doesn't pay and you block anyway?

In the end it's just a call you'll have to make, I know some books are slow sellers, and "if" it may not sell in that weeks time at least you have his "word"... still that is kind of a what if game.

I don't think it would be a "scam" to wait a week, the having someone else pay and in person is a red flag, but still if your not minding waiting a week. As is, he hasn't paid, and no harm in cancelling the sale and blocking. No waiting for a refund and etc hassle. :cheers:

Might as well cancel and block but sometimes we "like to give the benefit of the doubt" but ya it's red flag

clarity picking up in person is a red flag if that isn't listed in your listing as shipping method

I could wait a week if needed, not the end of the world, worst case he doesn't pay (thumbsu

the tldr version above lol 

On 7/25/2022 at 11:09 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

clarity picking up in person is a red flag if that isn't listed in your listing as shipping method

I could wait a week if needed, not the end of the world, worst case he doesn't pay (thumbsu

the tldr version above lol 

keep in mind that with the ebay payouts now, you're going to be waiting about another week for the payment (if on time) to make it to your bank, so bare in mind :) 

On 7/25/2022 at 10:56 AM, Antonio said:

Thanks,

Anthony

Curious why you chose to sell on that site instead of consigning with MCS? You wouldn't have to deal with any of this buyer nonsense.

Edited by KirbyTown

I have allowed up to two weeks if the buyer is communicating with me and has good feedback

I've been selling for years on ebay and rarely had an issue with someone wanting time to pay - its rare if they are communicating it. I have over 7600+ feedback

i never allow a local pick up or exchange - too much risk

Edited by jsilverjanet

On 7/25/2022 at 12:22 PM, ImmortalSamurai said:

Do this guy a favor and just cancel the sale. If it takes him a week to pay off 50 bucks, he should not be buying comic books with that cash.

canceling sales (without a request from the buyer) can hurt a sellers standing on ebay, this leads to limiting number of auctions/total sales volume etc

On 7/25/2022 at 12:29 PM, KirbyTown said:

Curious why you chose to sell on that site instead of consigning with MCS? You wouldn't have to deal with any of this buyer nonsense.

I love MCS and regularly encourage people to use them, but no service is perfect in avoiding late paying/bad buyers. I'm still waiting on several payments from their Prime Auction. Obviously MCS gives 15 days and that's fine, but after a week I always consider it a toss-up as to whether the buyers will come through or not. 

prime.png

On 7/25/2022 at 12:51 PM, thehumantorch said:

I wouldn't allow him to pick it up at my home but might meet him somewhere safe like a police station.

I'm always curious how it's marked as shipped/received (on a pick up) and if the buyer can then open a case that he never got the product or that there is damage etc and allow for a return

I've done several pick ups, but also offer it on certain eBay listings (non-comic related, larger to ship items). I've had people drive from out of state for pickups and buy more when they arrive. eBay has a pick up option that allows one to note that an item was picked up (instead of uploading tracking). Not sure if that is available if it was not offered originally on the listing.  

Edited by Shrevvy

I did a local pick up once. I have no idea how it was handled on the seller's side to protect themselves from a fraudulent claim. We met in a police station parking lot. Is saved me about $20 in shipping and I didn't even realize until after I bought it that the seller lived in the same town as me. 

On 7/25/2022 at 12:56 PM, Shrevvy said:

I've done several pick ups, but also offer it on certain eBay listings (non-comic related, larger to ship items). I've had people drive from out of state for pickups and buy more when they arrive. eBay has a pick up option that allows one to note that an item was picked up (instead of uploading tracking). Not sure if that is available if it was not offered originally on the listing.  

good to know

On 7/25/2022 at 2:05 PM, littledoom said:

I'm a risk taker so I welcome all local pick ups. it's much easier for me.. handing the item directly to the buyer thus saving time shipping and packaging materials. I'm all for it

For my benefit, how does that work if not expressed in the listing? Presumably once sold you can't change the shipping method, how do you mark it delivered?