• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cleaning question
1 1

9 posts in this topic

No, sun shadows do not clean off. This is tanning, not dirt. The paper is darker. All the way through. 

I have seen dust shadows that were truly just dust or soot. Those often clean off. Most of the time you will know the difference by looking at the inside of cover.  You see the discoloration on the inside, it's not gong to clean of with dry cleaning methods. It's through the paper and it would take solvents to wash out. 

On 7/27/2022 at 11:40 PM, Tony S said:

No, sun shadows do not clean off. This is tanning, not dirt. The paper is darker. All the way through. 

I have seen dust shadows that were truly just dust or soot. Those often clean off. Most of the time you will know the difference by looking at the inside of cover.  You see the discoloration on the inside, it's not gong to clean of with dry cleaning methods. It's through the paper and it would take solvents to wash out. 

^^

On 7/27/2022 at 10:40 PM, Tony S said:

Concentrated UV light alone can also do wonders!

Sorry for the screencap quality, book movement for closeup was already out of focus:

933C7CE2-DB55-416D-B0DB-95C477CC9A46.jpeg.5aec244bda8f0d7073d80741c3ae49bc.jpeg

( video property of Rick Morgan, ImmaculateComics.com )

On 7/27/2022 at 11:40 PM, Tony S said:

Awesome response, thank you 

On 7/28/2022 at 9:19 PM, I’m Rick Jones person_without_enough_empathy said:

Is that an endorsement or a condemnation? Lol

I believe it's mostly a caution.

I know you were asking about shadows in particular, but as a shorthand for whether something can be cleaned or pressed out:

Dry cleaning means using an eraser, and erasers only remove stuff on top.

Pressing makes bent paper lay flat, but will not seal ink that cracked when the paper was bent. If the bend shows white, then white will remain after the bend is flattened.

(Also, if you fill the cracks by touching them with a dark marker, then you are Restoring; adding something rather than subtracting)

👍

Edited by KirbyTown